How much of the world does the average RN sailor see?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Other people asked for deep fried pizza, which was a deep crust pizza, cut in half and then thrown into the hot fat!!
Last time I was 'home' we went to a local chippie where there were some freshly 'cooked' pizzas hanging up to let some of the fat drain out.

I pointed them out to SWMBO, knowing she'd never seen this before - she expressed her disgust that anyone could or would eat such a mess.

The chap in the queue behind us pointed out that they were for him and he rather liked them.

I'm almost certain that's what he growled!!

After joining up in 1967 and straight from training I flew to Singapore to join HMS Eagle which was with the Far East sqd on a round the world deployment. Visiting Australia, Hong Kong and loads of other countries and islands for Banyan etc. In 1970 I served onboard HMS Blake for Captain Cooks Centenery visiting Cape Town and loads of other countries on the way. HMS Ulster, Fearless, Penelope, Lincoln, Naiad, Londonderry, Ariadne, Euryalus and a few shore bases in between. As well as being a steward, I worked for the various ships welfare fund serving as ships DJ and tuneing in the ships radio to BFPO and the world service. Retiring in 1989. I was a neaters man.

Ballistic

War Hero
After joining up in 1967 and straight from training I flew to Singapore to join HMS Eagle which was with the Far East sqd on a round the world deployment. Visiting Australia, Hong Kong and loads of other countries and islands for Banyan etc. In 1970 I served onboard HMS Blake for Captain Cooks Centenery visiting Cape Town and loads of other countries on the way. HMS Ulster, Fearless, Penelope, Lincoln, Naiad, Londonderry, Ariadne, Euryalus and a few shore bases in between. As well as being a steward, I worked for the various ships welfare fund serving as ships DJ and tuneing in the ships radio to BFPO and the world service. Retiring in 1989. I was a neaters man.
Welcome to the site @Jan the man
I was trying to ascertain who is in the photo, because when you typed "You" it was a bit unclear.
I'm now guessing that's yourself? :)

Dusty70

War Hero
Cambeltown was an absolute pit - used to fuel from there on fishery protection - locals always wanted to fight us.........and we obliged, rude not too.

Are you talking about Lena Zavaroni's Aunties chip shop in Rothsay - had many a fish supper there whilst running as 'target' for the great unwashed perisher crews.................................

Sumo

War Hero
Cambeltown was an absolute pit - used to fuel from there on fishery protection - locals always wanted to fight us.........and we obliged, rude not too.

Are you talking about Lena Zavaroni's Aunties chip shop in Rothsay - had many a fish supper there whilst running as 'target' for the great unwashed perisher crews.................................
Been there done that, on one sunny occasion we persuaded OOD to give us hands to bathe whilst we were at anchor, trouble sunshine didn't manage to warm up Scottish Sea, Kim cold.

Last edited:

Dusty70

War Hero
Been there done that, on one sunny occasion we persuaded OLD to give us hands to bathe whilst we were at anchor, trouble sunshine didn't manage to warm up Scottish Sea, Kim cold.
OLD ?...................................for us skimmers

Dusty70

War Hero
Did you ever swop with any of us for a dhoby and some beers and a comfy bed for the night - I think I did about 4 or 5 days swops (in one day lumps) on ( I think) Oberon and Opossum - mainly in 70s on Plymouth and the Rothesay

Dusty70

War Hero
And of course put your sleeping bag and no 8s through the chinky laundry - I remember that being very popular with the bubbleheads.....................................

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Much Wenlock residents urged to find out about flood risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Much-loved coastal heritage assets to be saved with almost £1 million of Coastal Revival Fund MoD News 0
Dusty70 How Much......................................... Diamond Lil's 6
MoD_RSS News story: DIO restores much loved Wiltshire monument MoD News 0
TechFin Is There Much Of A Waiting List For Pilot? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Antonio555 How much will i really earn? CIS submariner Joining the Royal Navy 8
MoD_RSS News story: New fingerprint chemical to ‘make it much harder for criminals to escape... MoD News 0
A How much should I be able to squat? Health & Fitness 5
L How much longer????? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
J Advice much appreciated please. Submariners 17
joeG How much money should i take to raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
u04elw2 How Much Time Spent Away From Home? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
F Not missed much then Diamond Lil's 38
S Thank you very much! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
O Army Deferral, how much will it go against me? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
I How much notice of AIB do you get? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
W How much phys do you during Phase 1? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
soleil Western Morning News: "Not Much Room To Spare For HMS Penzance" The Fleet 0
Waspie Not so much up diddly up!!!!! MoD News 12
E RMR work as much as you like? RMR 13
R SOS! SFA Q: How much more does SFA cost @ NON-ENTITLED Rate The Quarterdeck 1
soleil Mail: "Meet The Man Who Loved Harrier Jump Jets So Much He Bought One" The Fleet Air Arm 1
fishhead Astute Class and how much they're costing. Submariners 0
B How much longer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 52
M How much history should i research for my interview? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
J How much ironing preparation are you doing before joining raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
DublinRum how much notice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
trelawney126 How Much did you pay for your Xmas Tree £900? Current Affairs 6
pinkprincess Big Brother much? The Gash Barge 5
Drakey So much for spelling The Quarterdeck 6
trelawney126 How Much more Bread To Fix The Haldron Collider AGAIN The Gash Barge 3
pinkprincess Just because it made me laugh so much! Diamond Lil's 5
C How much time Blogs 8
M Front & back doors, how much? Lil's version. Diamond Lil's 14
witsend Front & back doors, how much? Finance & Pensions 22
B How much is everyone else doing? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 59
trelawney126 Too Much to Hope For Current Affairs 2
Montigny_La_Palisse How much can you spare? Charity 26
L Speed time distance - your opinion (not so much a how to!) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
K Too much CCTV Current Affairs 2
JaFAA Are some recruits joining up cos there's not much better do? Diamond Lil's 19
SpliceTheMainbrace 8-9 MONTH MOBILISATIONS, HOW MUCH LEAVE?? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 23
slim Benefits pilot scheme scrapped for costing too much Current Affairs 5
P How much does it cost to train a royal marine commando? The Corps 29
A Too Much Sun = Site Issues 4
S How much was I earning - 1975 History 40
GSSR_Vvd Why do i bother to do so much for the RNR??? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 46
F Nasty Scam YOU cant do much about! (baseball bat req'd) Diamond Lil's 7
K It's best for governments not to know too much Current Affairs 3
J Is the RN asking too much of the Reserves Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 43