How much of the world does the average RN sailor see?

Jack Sparrow

Lantern Swinger
Please accept my most sincere apologies MLP, I obviously got the wrong end of the stick, and missed the point entirely.
Apparently the leaders of the Russian 'attack squad' were wearing masks over their faces, gum shields and MMA (Mixed Marshal Arts) gloves (yes, I've no idea what they might be either).

G

guestm

Please accept my most sincere apologies MLP, I obviously got the wrong end of the stick, and missed the point entirely.
Apparently the leaders of the Russian 'attack squad' were wearing masks over their faces, gum shields and MMA (Mixed Marshal Arts) gloves (yes, I've no idea what they might be either).
The ones in the ground were. Some of them had been seen with riot batons and knives in Marseille itself too after the game.

Source: my nephew and 10-15 of his friends, thankfully now on the way to Lens for the Wales game before coming home.

The Russians came for a fight, they'd all had tshirts made up stating that fact and were very well organised to the point they look drilled. They'll be disappointed at the reluctance of the English fans to replicate the 1980s. Banning orders seem to have helped also.

As if being sucker punched for your phone by skinny North Africans in Marseille wasn't bad enough. Throw 300 Krav Maga experts in there and it's the worst holiday ever.

**** Marseille. Also **** the following:

Souda, Rota, Naples, Algiers, Lagos, Toulon, Casablanca, Salalah and Hull.

Yes shippers, we did a "Trial" of a new bit of kit on the Sea Harrier
Tell me about it ... but one of the lucky ones I guess.

Medical Assistant colloquially called "Doc" by the ships company whereas Doctors are normally known as MO (Medical Officer) ... or at least they were ... I left in 93!
Did you enjoy your time as an MA and would you reccomend it? I have extensive first aid experience and always have enjoyed that sort of thing but not sure if I'd want a career around it.

Jack Sparrow

Lantern Swinger
Some ******** Russian Politician said he was proud of his fans!
It is worth remembering that us Brits, in the south of France, are now hated by the Arabs, more than the French are.
And, the UK was the principal country in Europe demanding sanctions against Russia, so it's not really surprising that both camps wanted a pop at British fans, but what is suspicious is the almost total lack of crowd control police in the ground during the match.

Some ******** Russian Politician said he was proud of his fans!
It is worth remembering that us Brits, in the south of France, are now hated by the Arabs, more than the French are.
And, the UK was the principal country in Europe demanding sanctions against Russia, so it's not really surprising that both camps wanted a pop at British fans, but what is suspicious is the almost total lack of crowd control police in the ground during the match.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...cid=maing-grid7|uk|dl16|sec1_lnk3&pLid=469109

Did you enjoy your time as an MA and would you reccomend it? I have extensive first aid experience and always have enjoyed that sort of thing but not sure if I'd want a career around it.
Loved it! As to whether I would recommend it - based upon my experience yes however seeing I've been out over 20 yrs then things will have changed a lot in that time - do they still use leaches??? :p:):D

Seriously though as the only "Medic" on board a destroyer its a bit beyond "1st Aid" ... you've got the health and well being of the ships company to look after 24/7.

You missed out Mombasa, Alexandria, and my personal worst over and above those two, Karachi.
Wrecks ... you've obviously never set foot in Maputo ... now that place was the real pits! Only redeeming feature was the two Aussie birds from their Embassy :)

Jack Sparrow

Lantern Swinger
Unfortunately there is no such thing as an average sailor, and if there were, it would depend greatly when he/she served, how long for, what branch and what state was the current state/number of the fleet, and the projected shipbuilding/refitting program.
So, no matter what we might say on here, it's all down to 'suck it and see'! My elder brother was a seaman/radar type, so I joined as a seaman/radar type (but not on boats like what he was), for no other reason than he was. Our father before us was a Jack Dusty, and my sister was regulating branch, and I'm certain that we've never sat down and compared how many countries we've been to.
You could make plans until you are blue in the face, and I could guarantee that the future wouldn't turn out as you'd hoped.
If you fancy an adventure, give it a go, but if you are in two minds about it, don't.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as an average sailor, and if there were, it would depend greatly when he/she served, how long for, what branch and what state was the current state/number of the fleet, and the projected shipbuilding/refitting program.
So, no matter what we might say on here, it's all down to 'suck it and see'! My elder brother was a seaman/radar type, so I joined as a seaman/radar type (but not on boats like what he was), for no other reason than he was. Our father before us was a Jack Dusty, and my sister was regulating branch, and I'm certain that we've never sat down and compared how many countries we've been to.
You could make plans until you are blue in the face, and I could guarantee that the future wouldn't turn out as you'd hoped.
If you fancy an adventure, give it a go, but if you are in two minds about it, don't.
Adventure a defenitley what I want, as is a career in the navy.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I always found Campbeltown was one of the most singularly unwelcoming places on a global scale. The locals clearly used to take umbrage whenever Jack threatened to deepen the gene pool whilst popping alongside for a fuel top-up.

It may well have changed in the last decade, I'd hope so anyway.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I always found Campbeltown was one of the most singularly unwelcoming places on a global scale. The locals clearly used to take umbrage whenever Jack threatened to deepen the gene pool whilst popping alongside for a fuel top-up.

There was me thinking the Trawlermen were being welcoming and cheering us in as they left Port, are you saying that this was not the case?

G

guestm

It hasn't.

Jack Sparrow

Lantern Swinger
I was once conversing with a home matron in Falkirk, who's previous care home was in Campbeltown and she told me about one of the natives therein. One evening she was queueing for fish and chips, and the chap in front asked for a deep fried marsbar supper. He was served the aforesaid meal, and insisted that he wanted mushy peas with it!! Other people asked for deep fried pizza, which was a deep crust pizza, cut in half and then thrown into the hot fat!!

I was once conversing with a home matron in Falkirk, who's previous care home was in Campbeltown and she told me about one of the natives therein. One evening she was queueing for fish and chips, and the chap in front asked for a deep fried marsbar supper. He was served the aforesaid meal, and insisted that he wanted mushy peas with it!! Other people asked for deep fried pizza, which was a deep crust pizza, cut in half and then thrown into the hot fat!!
You say that like it's a bad thing . . .