How much of the world does the average RN sailor see?

Precisely that.

I was a Stores POMEM(M) on Hurworth, my opposite number, the Engine Room POMEM(M) used to feel a bit 'icky every time the ship left the harbour. He used to sit on watch with a bucket on a rope round his neck to catch the dockyard pizzas ;)

Obviously not everyone feels it as much as others, but small ships do wobble a bit at times.
I'm not surprised, especially around jock land. The Hebrides from what I hear aren't the smoothest of waters.

In your opinion, would I be better off going for another branch if I want to literally travel the world? I was interested in both WS and Seaman spec. But for some reason the whole 'mine warfare' thing attracted me and I'd heard that they do seamanship and warfare roles but on a smaller scale.

If I'm honest they're the only roles that attract me, as well as diver but my phys isn't good enough at the moment, though I've got another three years till I join. MA would be a good idea to develop first aid skills I've already got, but not sure if it's the job for me.

I'm still serving, as a general service stores rating. On my first trip I visited Cape Verde, Barbados, Peru, Chile, Brazil, Uraguay, the Falklands, S. Africa, Nigeria and Angola. My second trip was Gibraltar, Crete, Oman, Dubai,Tanzania Jordan and Malta. My last one was Scicily, Albania, Crete, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Dubai (again), Djibouti and flew back from Oman. I've also been to France, Austria, Germany and the USA (a 3 month deployment to the Mojhave desert with the marines), meaning that in 10 1/2 years of service, I have visited 27 countries and 12% of the world. Some of my draft will have been seen as cushy in the eyes of my oppos and some think I've been sea dodging (you can still deploy on ships when attached with marines, no matter how many people think you're "shore based"). They will actually be times when you'd rather be at home (especially when you're getting ready to visit the M.E for your 3rd or 4th time).

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I'm not surprised, especially around jock land. The Hebrides from what I hear aren't the smoothest of waters.

In your opinion, would I be better off going for another branch if I want to literally travel the world? I was interested in both WS and Seaman spec. But for some reason the whole 'mine warfare' thing attracted me and I'd heard that they do seamanship and warfare roles but on a smaller scale.

If I'm honest they're the only roles that attract me, as well as diver but my phys isn't good enough at the moment, though I've got another three years till I join. MA would be a good idea to develop first aid skills I've already got, but not sure if it's the job for me.
I'd go for the branch which appeals most.

As stated, you can get a fair bit of foreign travel as WS(MW), but if you want to give yourself the best opportunity for foreign travel in the branches you have short-listed, then Sea Spec & Warfare Spec are probably more likely to produce the goods. Again, it is not guaranteed.

I joined as what is now ET(ME) and served about 4 years before visiting Gibraltar - a place many at the time considered their second home because it was pretty much a routine visit. Changing world politics and operational commitments will evolve accordingly and this will influence where you will most likely be serving afloat.

The emphasis is to choose the job first because it appeals to you and it is what you will be doing everyday - whether in Barbados, Iceland or UK.

MG Maniac

War Hero
As a "Doc" on surface fleet I think I did pretty well (71 - 93). Iceland, Germany, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, France, Monaco, Italy, Sardinia, Lebanon, Jordan, Romania, Russia, Israel, Malta, Gibraltar, Cyprus, Crete, Malta, Portugal, USA (Boston/Ft Lauderdale/San Francisco/Hawaii), Venezuela, Panama, Belize, Canada, China, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Japan, Mozambique, Tanzania, Kenya, Senegal, Morocco, Aruba, Curacao, Bermuda, Barbados, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, India, Fiji, Tonga, Australia, Home ports (England/Scotland/Wales/Channel Islands).

Foreign Drafts, Gib, Diego Garcia, Falklands,

As others have said ... lots of memories of people and places - some good (sitting on the upper scupper before turn to on a flat calm Pacific with a cup of tea and a tab watching the dolphins) some bad (Force 10 on a Type 42 bouncing around in the SW Approaches on live firings). Some places you just know are going to be a good run ashore even before you get alongside ... Proc Alpha going into Vancouver ... you could feel the vibe 5 miles off shore ... others like Caracas you could smell 5 miles off shore!

Some places I'd (and have) go back to - got married to the 2nd Mrs MG in Hawaii ... others I never want to set foot in again like Maputo (Mozambique) for no other reason than the place is a sh*t hole!

Paxman_Valenta

Badgeman
Greece, Malta, Gib, Republic of Ireland, Africa, UAE, Sweden, Germany, Norway, Sicily. All in three and a bit years...

Plus anywhere and everywhere in the UK: London, Dartmouth, Cardiff to name a few.

I'm still serving, as a general service stores rating. On my first trip I visited Cape Verde, Barbados, Peru, Chile, Brazil, Uraguay, the Falklands, S. Africa, Nigeria and Angola. My second trip was Gibraltar, Crete, Oman, Dubai,Tanzania Jordan and Malta. My last one was Scicily, Albania, Crete, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Dubai (again), Djibouti and flew back from Oman. I've also been to France, Austria, Germany and the USA (a 3 month deployment to the Mojhave desert with the marines), meaning that in 10 1/2 years of service, I have visited 27 countries and 12% of the world. Some of my draft will have been seen as cushy in the eyes of my oppos and some think I've been sea dodging (you can still deploy on ships when attached with marines, no matter how many people think you're "shore based"). They will actually be times when you'd rather be at home (especially when you're getting ready to visit the M.E for your 3rd or 4th time).
Thank you. Are you in a commando logistics unit? And have you spent the majority of your career on bigger ships, or otherwise?

As a "Doc" on surface fleet I think I did pretty well (71 - 93). Iceland, Germany, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, France, Monaco, Italy, Sardinia, Lebanon, Jordan, Romania, Russia, Israel, Malta, Gibraltar, Cyprus, Crete, Malta, Portugal, USA (Boston/Ft Lauderdale/San Francisco/Hawaii), Venezuela, Panama, Belize, Canada, China, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Japan, Mozambique, Tanzania, Kenya, Senegal, Morocco, Aruba, Curacao, Bermuda, Barbados, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, India, Fiji, Tonga, Australia, Home ports (England/Scotland/Wales/Channel Islands).

Foreign Drafts, Gib, Diego Garcia, Falklands,

As others have said ... lots of memories of people and places - some good (sitting on the upper scupper before turn to on a flat calm Pacific with a cup of tea and a tab watching the dolphins) some bad (Force 10 on a Type 42 bouncing around in the SW Approaches on live firings). Some places you just know are going to be a good run ashore even before you get alongside ... Proc Alpha going into Vancouver ... you could feel the vibe 5 miles off shore ... others like Caracas you could smell 5 miles off shore!

Some places I'd (and have) go back to - got married to the 2nd Mrs MG in Hawaii ... others I never want to set foot in again like Maputo (Mozambique) for no other reason than the place is a sh*t hole!
Thanks for the reply. Were you a medical assistant or an actual doctor because I've heard both being called doc.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Last week I went from, this
Anse_Boudin_Med.jpg
to this
Dubai_med.jpg

I've been to places I could never have imagined, Greenland, Spitsbergen, Iceland, Norway, Antartica, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, the Baltic States, the Caribbean, most of the West Coast of the US, and many more...

Just remember it's what YOU make of it!

dogwalker

You won't see much with the army. And when you are abroad it's becoming more and more common to be gated. Meaning all you see is a shit hole camp and an exercise area. Canada, Falklands, and Kenya. That's about as good as it gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ballistic

War Hero
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain.
Time to die.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain.
Time to die.
Bladerunner?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Much Wenlock residents urged to find out about flood risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Much-loved coastal heritage assets to be saved with almost £1 million of Coastal Revival Fund MoD News 0
Dusty70 How Much......................................... Diamond Lil's 6
MoD_RSS News story: DIO restores much loved Wiltshire monument MoD News 0
TechFin Is There Much Of A Waiting List For Pilot? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Antonio555 How much will i really earn? CIS submariner Joining the Royal Navy 8
MoD_RSS News story: New fingerprint chemical to ‘make it much harder for criminals to escape... MoD News 0
A How much should I be able to squat? Health & Fitness 5
L How much longer????? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
J Advice much appreciated please. Submariners 17
joeG How much money should i take to raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
u04elw2 How Much Time Spent Away From Home? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
F Not missed much then Diamond Lil's 38
S Thank you very much! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
O Army Deferral, how much will it go against me? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
I How much notice of AIB do you get? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
W How much phys do you during Phase 1? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
soleil Western Morning News: "Not Much Room To Spare For HMS Penzance" The Fleet 0
Waspie Not so much up diddly up!!!!! MoD News 12
E RMR work as much as you like? RMR 13
R SOS! SFA Q: How much more does SFA cost @ NON-ENTITLED Rate The Quarterdeck 1
soleil Mail: "Meet The Man Who Loved Harrier Jump Jets So Much He Bought One" The Fleet Air Arm 1
fishhead Astute Class and how much they're costing. Submariners 0
B How much longer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 52
M How much history should i research for my interview? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
J How much ironing preparation are you doing before joining raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
DublinRum how much notice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
trelawney126 How Much did you pay for your Xmas Tree £900? Current Affairs 6
pinkprincess Big Brother much? The Gash Barge 5
Drakey So much for spelling The Quarterdeck 6
trelawney126 How Much more Bread To Fix The Haldron Collider AGAIN The Gash Barge 3
pinkprincess Just because it made me laugh so much! Diamond Lil's 5
C How much time Blogs 8
M Front & back doors, how much? Lil's version. Diamond Lil's 14
witsend Front & back doors, how much? Finance & Pensions 22
B How much is everyone else doing? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 59
trelawney126 Too Much to Hope For Current Affairs 2
Montigny_La_Palisse How much can you spare? Charity 26
L Speed time distance - your opinion (not so much a how to!) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
K Too much CCTV Current Affairs 2
JaFAA Are some recruits joining up cos there's not much better do? Diamond Lil's 19
SpliceTheMainbrace 8-9 MONTH MOBILISATIONS, HOW MUCH LEAVE?? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 23
slim Benefits pilot scheme scrapped for costing too much Current Affairs 5
P How much does it cost to train a royal marine commando? The Corps 29
A Too Much Sun = Site Issues 4
S How much was I earning - 1975 History 40
GSSR_Vvd Why do i bother to do so much for the RNR??? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 46
F Nasty Scam YOU cant do much about! (baseball bat req'd) Diamond Lil's 7
K It's best for governments not to know too much Current Affairs 3
J Is the RN asking too much of the Reserves Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 43