how much is accom/food?

ROFLMAN

Midshipman
im trying to workout how much money ill have in my pocket after tax/NI and other charges while at raleigh..

can anyone tell me? Also does the cost vary from ship to ship while serving?
 

andym

War Hero
When i was at Raleigh in 78, we were all paid £25 a fortnight irrespective of your actual pay rate.Any underpayment was given to you when you went to your Part 2 training,i got £95!!!I have never had so much money all at once.Athough i was loaded some only got a few quid,i remember one bloke got £1 backpay which he promptly threw away.Not sure what hapens today.
 

RNMA

MIA
Well what i was told at palace AFCO was that it was £5 per day for accomadation and all your meals. I think was at your base and you don't pay anything when on a ship. so i believe anyway.
 

dunkers

War Hero
ROFLMAN said:
im trying to workout how much money ill have in my pocket after tax/NI and other charges while at raleigh..

can anyone tell me? Also does the cost vary from ship to ship while serving?

Well new entry pay currently is £30.96 per day (before tax etc), don't know if that's any help to you.

As for accom and meals, you don't pay for that. At least, not in cash, your pay might be adjusted somehow for it but I don't know.
 
D

Deleted 7

Guest
Food and accom are taken out of your pay before you receive it.

I am unsure of the daily rates now, Dryad used to be £60.00 for accom and food was something like £30.00.

Check with the UPO, they'll be able to give you the exact answer hun, or your local careers office you signed up with.
 

Dabs

Lantern Swinger
Jenny_Dabber said:
Food and accom are taken out of your pay before you receive it.

I am unsure of the daily rates now, Dryad used to be £60.00 for accom and food was something like £30.00.

Check with the UPO, they'll be able to give you the exact answer hun, or your local careers office you signed up with.
Pay as you dine is on its way, which will have an impact on food charges.
 
D

Deleted 7

Guest
Pay as you dine didn't work too well during it's tester period years ago, I think it's gonna be ditched asap.
 

dunkers

War Hero
Not if the latest Two Six is to be believed Jenny.
According to the latest episode it will be in operation in Collingwood by the end of this year and there is a rollout shedule for PAYD across the entire RN which will have the entire Service running on it by Feb 2008. So in 18 months every base will be on it.
 
D

Deleted 7

Guest
dunkers said:
Not if the latest Two Six is to be believed Jenny.
According to the latest episode it will be in operation in Collingwood by the end of this year and there is a rollout shedule for PAYD across the entire RN which will have the entire Service running on it by Feb 2008. So in 18 months every base will be on it.

They said that at the end of 2002 also :lol:
 

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
dunkers said:
Not if the latest Two Six is to be believed Jenny.
According to the latest episode it will be in operation in Collingwood by the end of this year and there is a rollout shedule for PAYD across the entire RN which will have the entire Service running on it by Feb 2008. So in 18 months every base will be on it.

I heard that too - if I remember correctly from reading a paper in circulation to DOs earlier this year (March time I think) explaining the background to the decision to adopt PAYD (or Save As You Starve if you prefer!). Basically its all being driven by the fear of litigation under our old friend the Human Rights Convention - the thinking being that if someone is drafted to a shore establishment and pays food charges and doesn't use the messing, that person is being disadvantaged by paying for something that wasn't taken. Ergo, since there is an outside chance of a successful challenge under Human Rights legislation, the MOD must adopt the inherently fairer scheme of charging people for what is consumed. The paper goes on to recognise that in trials PAYD had been less popular in the Wardroom and SRs Mess, however it was popular in the JRs.

<cynic & rant mode=on> In order to implement SAYS er PAYD, the management of the catering MUST be passed onto a civvy company (more board positions for ex-Admirals!); in order to sweeten the pot, they'll probably take over the bars too (is Colingrad SRs Mess still fighting to retain control rather than be handed over to Flagship?). The civvy company will immediately take steps to maximise shareholder value by cutting costs and implementing strict portion control thus leaving Jack, Tommy and the Crabs enduring meagre portions of crap food and increased bar prices.<cynic & rant mode = off>

I can see PAYD working on larger establishments, IF the civvy contractor doesn't take the p155. However, in smaller establishments its going to be a disaster. About 18 months ago, I was an inmate in the WO & SNCOs Mess at Boscombe Down - in the WO & SNCOs mess, there were 12 livers- in, 2 of us civvy; in the Juniors Mess there were about 20 or so livers-in. For reasons of economy, the Seniors and Juniors shared a servery so the caterers were cooking for 3 dozen typically. How will choice be maintained in such a small mess once PAYD is introduced (and to be fair it was pretty crap before!). On the messing front, Aramark already had the contract for the bars (Officers and SNCOs - there wasn't a service Junior Ranks bar). In the SNCOs Mess, on a good night there were 6 people in the mess and 3 of these were associate members from out side the establishment!
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
FlagWagger said:
The paper goes on to recognise that in trials PAYD had been less popular in the Wardroom and SRs Mess, however it was popular in the JRs.

<cynic & rant mode=on> In order to implement SAYS er PAYD, the management of the catering MUST be passed onto a civvy company (more board positions for ex-Admirals!); in order to sweeten the pot, they'll probably take over the bars too (is Colingrad SRs Mess still fighting to retain control rather than be handed over to Flagship?). The civvy company will immediately take steps to maximise shareholder value by cutting costs and implementing strict portion control thus leaving Jack, Tommy and the Crabs enduring meagre portions of crap food and increased bar prices.<cynic & rant mode = off>

I can see PAYD working on larger establishments, IF the civvy contractor doesn't take the p155. However, in smaller establishments its going to be a disaster. About 18 months ago, I was an inmate in the WO & SNCOs Mess at Boscombe Down - in the WO & SNCOs mess, there were 12 livers- in, 2 of us civvy; in the Juniors Mess there were about 20 or so livers-in. For reasons of economy, the Seniors and Juniors shared a servery so the caterers were cooking for 3 dozen typically. How will choice be maintained in such a small mess once PAYD is introduced (and to be fair it was pretty crap before!). On the messing front, Aramark already had the contract for the bars (Officers and SNCOs - there wasn't a service Junior Ranks bar). In the SNCOs Mess, on a good night there were 6 people in the mess and 3 of these were associate members from out side the establishment!

...JRs love it because it means that they can save more money to buy more BKs/Maccy Ds which they eat while sitting alone in their Single Service Accommodation with their Playstations!

As for choice - since when was that a good thing? The more that is on offer, the more people will find something to complain about. Remember when supermarkets had one type of loaf, or one type of cereal? Now there are aisles full of different kinds - and still people aren't happy! Same with pusser's scran; Jack (if he's really hungry, which is most of the time!) will eat what he is given. Unless he has a food allergy then if he is REALLY hungry he will eat what's on offer. Too much choice has just made Jack fussy! And given how much we pay for food/accommodation at the moment everyone must admit that it ain't really that bad! Especially when so much is wasted, so it is inevitable that money has to be saved in this area.

Furthermore mixed dining should be implemented. If three galleys are cooking the same food to all ranks, why not save money by having one galley cooking the same food, but allowing the 'customers' to eat in different areas of the same dining room? Jack will not suddenly stop showing marks of respect if he is eating his scran next to a Chief. Come on - this is the 21st century! Officers/SRs would still be able to use the dining area for official functions, but for day-to-day meals then mixed seating is not a problem. In fact nearly every ship/establishment I've been in practices this during leave periods, so why not at all times?
 

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top