how much is accom/food?

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by ROFLMAN, Sep 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. im trying to workout how much money ill have in my pocket after tax/NI and other charges while at raleigh..

can anyone tell me? Also does the cost vary from ship to ship while serving?
  2. When i was at Raleigh in 78, we were all paid £25 a fortnight irrespective of your actual pay rate.Any underpayment was given to you when you went to your Part 2 training,i got £95!!!I have never had so much money all at once.Athough i was loaded some only got a few quid,i remember one bloke got £1 backpay which he promptly threw away.Not sure what hapens today.
  3. Well what i was told at palace AFCO was that it was £5 per day for accomadation and all your meals. I think was at your base and you don't pay anything when on a ship. so i believe anyway.
  4. Well new entry pay currently is £30.96 per day (before tax etc), don't know if that's any help to you.

As for accom and meals, you don't pay for that. At least, not in cash, your pay might be adjusted somehow for it but I don't know.
  5. Food and accom are taken out of your pay before you receive it.

I am unsure of the daily rates now, Dryad used to be £60.00 for accom and food was something like £30.00.

Check with the UPO, they'll be able to give you the exact answer hun, or your local careers office you signed up with.
  6. Pay as you dine is on its way, which will have an impact on food charges.
  7. Pay as you dine didn't work too well during it's tester period years ago, I think it's gonna be ditched asap.
  8. Not if the latest Two Six is to be believed Jenny.
    According to the latest episode it will be in operation in Collingwood by the end of this year and there is a rollout shedule for PAYD across the entire RN which will have the entire Service running on it by Feb 2008. So in 18 months every base will be on it.
  9. They said that at the end of 2002 also :lol:
  10. Does anyone know the civil servants who came up with the PAYD idea? Feel free to PM me with any details.

11. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I heard that too - if I remember correctly from reading a paper in circulation to DOs earlier this year (March time I think) explaining the background to the decision to adopt PAYD (or Save As You Starve if you prefer!). Basically its all being driven by the fear of litigation under our old friend the Human Rights Convention - the thinking being that if someone is drafted to a shore establishment and pays food charges and doesn't use the messing, that person is being disadvantaged by paying for something that wasn't taken. Ergo, since there is an outside chance of a successful challenge under Human Rights legislation, the MOD must adopt the inherently fairer scheme of charging people for what is consumed. The paper goes on to recognise that in trials PAYD had been less popular in the Wardroom and SRs Mess, however it was popular in the JRs.

<cynic & rant mode=on> In order to implement SAYS er PAYD, the management of the catering MUST be passed onto a civvy company (more board positions for ex-Admirals!); in order to sweeten the pot, they'll probably take over the bars too (is Colingrad SRs Mess still fighting to retain control rather than be handed over to Flagship?). The civvy company will immediately take steps to maximise shareholder value by cutting costs and implementing strict portion control thus leaving Jack, Tommy and the Crabs enduring meagre portions of crap food and increased bar prices.<cynic & rant mode = off>

I can see PAYD working on larger establishments, IF the civvy contractor doesn't take the p155. However, in smaller establishments its going to be a disaster. About 18 months ago, I was an inmate in the WO & SNCOs Mess at Boscombe Down - in the WO & SNCOs mess, there were 12 livers- in, 2 of us civvy; in the Juniors Mess there were about 20 or so livers-in. For reasons of economy, the Seniors and Juniors shared a servery so the caterers were cooking for 3 dozen typically. How will choice be maintained in such a small mess once PAYD is introduced (and to be fair it was pretty crap before!). On the messing front, Aramark already had the contract for the bars (Officers and SNCOs - there wasn't a service Junior Ranks bar). In the SNCOs Mess, on a good night there were 6 people in the mess and 3 of these were associate members from out side the establishment!
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...JRs love it because it means that they can save more money to buy more BKs/Maccy Ds which they eat while sitting alone in their Single Service Accommodation with their Playstations!

As for choice - since when was that a good thing? The more that is on offer, the more people will find something to complain about. Remember when supermarkets had one type of loaf, or one type of cereal? Now there are aisles full of different kinds - and still people aren't happy! Same with pusser's scran; Jack (if he's really hungry, which is most of the time!) will eat what he is given. Unless he has a food allergy then if he is REALLY hungry he will eat what's on offer. Too much choice has just made Jack fussy! And given how much we pay for food/accommodation at the moment everyone must admit that it ain't really that bad! Especially when so much is wasted, so it is inevitable that money has to be saved in this area.

Furthermore mixed dining should be implemented. If three galleys are cooking the same food to all ranks, why not save money by having one galley cooking the same food, but allowing the 'customers' to eat in different areas of the same dining room? Jack will not suddenly stop showing marks of respect if he is eating his scran next to a Chief. Come on - this is the 21st century! Officers/SRs would still be able to use the dining area for official functions, but for day-to-day meals then mixed seating is not a problem. In fact nearly every ship/establishment I've been in practices this during leave periods, so why not at all times?
  13. Begging your forgiveness for dragging the subject back on-topic, but...

New Entrant Rate of Pay - £33.32 per day.
    Grade 1 Accomodation Charge - £1.49 per day
    Single Food Charge - £3.66

So... £28.17 per day after food and accom charges.

And as for PAYD, they were trialling that in 1989. According to the retired Submariner in my office they were trialling it in 1977 too. I'll believe it when I see it.
  14. Depending on what date you join up,you wont get paid until the last day of that month,and if you join up in the middle of the month you wont get paid until the followin month (If that makes sense?)

I think my boy cleared £700.00 for a month when he was at Raleigh.
  15. last year i was payin bout 150 a month for food and accom and 160 for tax and ni..... so was gettin about 690 ish.... depends if u have a 30 day or 31 day month...
    alll crazy
  16. PAYD is being phased in at Raleigh in early 2007, I think February, but it will not affect New Entrants as they will still be charged the food and accomm rates mentioned earlier by scribes.
  17. So this pay as you dine thingy has raised one thought to me.

What happens if, by the end of the month and you are skint as you have pissed it all up against a wall and you havent got any dosh to Pay as you dine, never mind eat out.

Do they just starve for the week or so til payday???
  18. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

There are safeguards in place such as entitlement to core meals.

As Letthecatoutofthebag states, we're all grown-ups in the Armed Forces. If a 18 yr old student scrote can feed themselves, then someone in the forces should have no problem...
  19. There is no breach of human rights involved here. This is a red herring. Don't be taken in. If that was the case the Strasbourg Court would have opposed the principle of social taxation which underpins the welfare state in most of the EU and of course the basic principle of both income and local taxes. As the Joint Committee on Human Rights have rightly pointed out, the Blair administration has been sheltering behind false human rights claims to divert attention away from administrative and political maladministration and incompitence. This is just another example.

20. As I remember it was £20 a fortnight in '78, as the Skipper thought we were too irresponsible to be given all our pay at once. He thought we'd just waste it on beer and loose women.
    We got what was owed when we left to go on Easter leave (£60) and on draft for part 2 (£90)