How much ironing preparation are you doing before joining raleigh?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by JJ1, Apr 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. JJ1

JJ1

Just wondered how much, (if any) ironing practice everyone is doing now before you get to raleigh? Are we supposed to know the specific way of ironing and folding kit or will we be shown how they want it doing in the first week?

2. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Having the ability to iron will be a plus. As far as i am aware, there are no courses on Military ironing in the civvy world but if you can iron a shirt, that's a start i suppose.

If your training is like the Army, you will be shown exactly how to iron your kit to the required standard. Not that it matters, as you'll be getting picked up on inspections left, right and centre and beasted to within an inch of your life. Enjoy.

3. I want to chop your thumbs off and then blind you with white hot knitting needles.
    That's just me though, stand by for more helpful advice.

4. If you going in as a steward, practice on your mums underwear!!!

5. You forgot to advise him to remove them first. :tweety:

6. Do you still get a little wooden A4 sized board to iron round? haha. You get shown when your there mate. An there'l be lads in your block no doubt who have been there a few week already to show you the ropes, i want bad at shoes, so i did shoes whilst they did my ironing. Happy days :)

7. Bit i hasnt done the writing prply bit yet

8. Come again eyeball?

9. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I believe he is saying your grammar is a bit ropey old chap.

10. haha, bless, only abit of northern thrown into a forum post, he'l have get his mam/carer to help him understand it.

11. Are you saying that northerners are illiterate?

12. A4 FFS, Nozzers!!!

You'll get zips on your 8's trousers next!!!

13. There 4's now love, zips would be handy.

14. What they don't know who their Dad is?
    :)

15. nope, he died when I was 2yrs and 4 mnths old so have no memory of him.

16. Sorry to hear that M8...I was 25 when I lost mine.
    :-(

17. Do you mean therefore or they're 4's???

Stirling, how long have you been a motorway????

18. Learn this. Your Class Instructor will set an exam towards the end of your 2nd week at RALEIGH.

The history of clothes iron can be traced back to as early as the 400 B.C. The Greeks were considered to be the first to use a roller iron to create pleats on linen robes. Even the Romans used a hand mangle which is quite similar to the modern day iron to beat the clothes. Through the beating and hitting, wrinkles are removed from the clothes. Then, there was prelum which was made of wood that looked quite similar to a winepress. Thus, the Romans had many tools that were used for pressing the fabric to get rid of the wrinkles.
    In the first century B.C. the Chinese used a metal pan filled with burning charcoal to press the clothes. Later on, the 17th Century was recognized as the era when cloth iron came in to the picture. This was when the sad irons or sadirons appeared. In ancient times, the word sad referred to something solid. And this is from where it got its name as sad iron. It was also known as flat irons, as it had a thick metal slab with a handle. Sometime later this model was perfected to a metal box which could hold hot coals.
    However, it was only in the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century that many innovations of iron appeared. With the invention of the cast irons in the nineteenth century most of the problems that were faced while using a flat iron was solved. Then, with gas available in most of the homes, by the year 1800, gas iron came into existence. And then finally, electric iron came into being in the 1880’s with electricity widely available in each and every home.
    The first electric iron is believed to have been invented by Henry W. Seely in the year 1882 and was formerly known as electric flat iron. This iron was heated by a detachable wire. The iron took longer to heat up and cooled down faster while using it. By the year 1892, brands like Crompton and Co. and General Electrics invented handheld electric resistant irons. As the years passed by the technology of iron also advanced.
    There were many inventors such as Earl Richardson and Joseph Meyers, who contributed towards the improvement of electric iron. Finally in the year 1926, steam iron came in to existence. The first company to introduce a steam iron is the Eldec Company. Steam irons made it easier to flatten and smoothen wrinkled fabrics. Though, the steam iron came into existence quite early, it became popular only in the 1940’s. To reach such a stage the electric iron has had to travel a long way leaving behind a remarkable history.

19. Ironing practice wtf spend your time getting yourself fit for the PT, be able to climb a rope safely, study marching in a straight line you will have all the time in the world to learn yourself ironing inbetween getting crappers at the bar , trying to get laid and not being adrift for anything, plus not forgetting doubling around raleigh as you are a "Nozzer" kit inspections, rescrubs, extra duties, security patrol, fighting with other messdecks as they attempt to trash your mess in the middle of the night. Quadrangle PT in the middle of the night due to waking up the duty Senior Rate and he'll make sure you do the PT in your gym whites so that when you have PT that day the clubswingers will be all over you like a rash for manky kit !!!
    If you want info on ironing check this handy page Tips on Ironing His Clothes | Gomestic
    Enjoy or PVR lol

20. BNM getting all serious about Irons? Nearly had me creased up....