How much does it cost to train a royal marine commando?

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Peter_G, Aug 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I would imagine a good few grand?

2. actually its alot less these days, it currently stands at 176.84.

3. Fahsands and fahsands, bit more than a Para now they ain't jumping and a lot less than a Crabfat Pilot. You (Or the Taxpayer in this case) pays your money and takes your choice.

4. Where did you two get those figures, I've seen the bill and it's 9 pence.

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

You forgot to add in the cost of the lobotomy and chunky watch

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Dunno, but it costs just over £7,000 just to recruit each potential Royal Marine Commando (To get them as far as starting Recruit Training).

I'd guess somewhere around the cost of a couple of Porsche Cayannes to train them.

7. Particularly if you abate the cost of an entire batch against those who finish as originals, you're drawing in the cost of all those who didn't complete. Probably more meaningful to work out an average time to complete, bearing in mind Hunter and backtrooping.

With all that it's probably easily in the order of a couple of hundred grand each.

Three guesses who's writing business cases at the moment :D

8. Why don't you believe me, it's 9p + lobotomy and chunky watch (I forgot those)

9. Now, as a taxpayer too it often occurs to me that not only did I pay for part of my own training, but I continue to pay a contribution towards my salary.

Therefore over the years I have also bought myself quite a bit of kit to be issued to me, a substantial part of my ammunition, a rifle, some frag, phos, scran, several bandaids and should by now have at least a time share in a helicopter.....

YET YOU ASK TO TAKE A FEW MEASLY ROUNDS HOME WITH YOU TO SHOOT A TROUBLESOME NEIGHBOUR'S DOG AND THEY LOOK AT YOU LIKE YOU'RE SOME KIND OF FRUITCAKE....I ASK YOU?!?!?

10. You've been seen off! Paras are two a penny.
    Get yourself some sharpish then the Creme de la creme,ie Royal, won't have to endure you're pish poor comments re lobotomies and chunky watches. And you can put up with filthy Pongoes :dwarf:
    I'd lay good money that the average Royal is more intelligent than the average Seaman Spec, after all we don't sign on to be paint chippers and dogsbodies.
    Royals ship routine; PT and Bronzing. :thumright:

11. It cost 30k to train a civvy nurse in 1998.

Different job and out of date information. Do I get some kind of 'shit answer' prize?

12. As Booties are priceless (well, some of them anyway) the cost is irrelevant.

I understand they each cost £25 3s 6d

13. Bloody 'ell, I would want a new one for that.

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Tip top answer.

You should get an A* GCSE result for that.

Apparently :thumright: .

15. There is no such thing as a troublesome neighbours dog. The problem will be with the neighbour. If you shoot the dog neighbour will get another one. Best to shoot the neighbour.

16. You could say Royals are from M & S and Paras are from Aldi.

17. Or that royals are freerange waitrose eggs as opposed to asda's own brand battery chicken eggs... :afro:

18. And according to APP-7, Backpacker is the person you need to see for your rounds.

19. And all this time I thought they were 'ard! I'll be sure to punch the next booty or para I see, safe in the knowledge that they have thin shells and wobbly, delicate interiors.

20. i reckon it costs about quarter of a million now to train a royal fully :money: :whew: