How many times

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Sharkey, Oct 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My niece tried to join the mob but failed the maths bit of the entrance exam first time, and the same again a few months later. She said the officer in the recruiting office told her she would not be able to apply again, she took this as ever again, I would have thought she couldn't apply for 12 months or so but surely its not a life ban, or is it.
  2. Welcome to Rum Ration, Sharkey

Just as a matter of interest, did your niece do any kind of Maths course to boost her chances of passing on the second occasion? How long was the gap between the two sittings? Which job was she hoping to go for?
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Generally speaking, an applicant gets two shots of the recruiting test, with a gap of 12 months in-between.

Exceptionally, after a first attempt failure, if the individual is in full-time education, the Area Recruiting Manager may grant permission for a re-take in 6 months if there is evidence (letter from tutor or teacher to confirm full time academic attendance).

After a second fail, a third attempt can only be made in exceptional circumstances at the discretion
    of the Reginal Recruiting Officer. A minimum of at least twelve months must have elapsed between the
    second and third attempts.

Exceptional means outstanding circumstances unique to the individual indicating a significant change in circumstances, rather than the fact they've waited a year since the last fail.

The rules are here, Chapter 15, article 1507:
  4. Thanks for the quick replies, she was in full-time education and it was about six months between applications, I'm not sure what branch she was thinking of, weapons seems to be at the back of my confused mind.