How many Orafice threads??????

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by trehorn, Dec 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone else a little peeved at the number of orafice threads that are appearing in this section?

We all know that there are questions to be asked and RR is a good place to do it but surely those who have the intelligence to become an officer could use some common dog f*ck and post their questions on one of the very many similar threads that already exist?

Just a suggestion :thumright:

2. Makes a change from what's the name of the branch that loiters on the upper deck carrying a rifle, this week threads...

:D

3. There you go thinking they have common dog. Silly you, that's the one thing they don't have.

4. rib check

5. anyone just a little peeved, full stop

6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Great, here we are trying to present the image of a vaguely modern RNR, and instead we get someone trying to foist "class war" and all the really old, terribly dull and very boring cliches.

You know if I was a new recruit and saw the sort of crud that sometimes get posted here, I'd never join. Its no wonder we've got a recruiting problem if this is the sort of thing our members post online.

7. There a a lot of threads on RR and it is a time-consuming affair going through them all to find one that matches the "burning issue being raised".

It is all good and well if you are an old and bold RR-er with 600+ posts to your medal tally but the newbies haven't got the benefit of your experience Trehorn so cut them some slack and if you feel so strongly about it, guide them to a specific thread!

8. PT - Its nothing to do with a class war, it was more of an observation. I would have suggested the same if there were as many questions comng from junior ratings.

Your comments regarding some of the things posted on here is valid. I've been guilty of some negative rants over the years. However would you like them to log on and see thread after thread about the same or very similar subject? The MODS on the other forums sometimes bring similar threads together.

Broadside - look at the first page on the RNR forum. There's six that i can see which relate directly to the wardroom.

I'd never suggest that their should be a wardroom on RR as i think its good to mingle. I believe that i'm at one of the very few RNR units with a shared mess, which is a good thing.

I'd never suggest that the wardroom shouldn't post but it takes a few seconds to look down the list on the first page and see if there's anything that resembles the point you wish to make.

From the first page alone:
    Pre-BRNC officer cadets
    Joining...Direct Entry questions?
    Non-Selective promotion to Lt
    RNR AIB
    RNR AIB Knowledge expected?
    JO Task Book

Now surely up to four of the above threads could be under one banner?

9. Am I right in thinking that officers represent a significant proportion of the RNR, ie much more than in the full-time RN?

10. Purple_twiglet

"Its nothing to do with a class war, it was more of an observation. I would have suggested the same if there were as many questions comng from junior ratings."

Doesnt sound like that when you start it with "Orafice" rather than "officer" - you come across as bitter and twisted from the word go.

I really don't see the problem - each question deals with very different areas, and it isn't appropriate for them to be merged.

No one is forcing you to read the threads, so if you don't like it then post new relevant topics instead of whinging that the forum is full of "officer threads".

11. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

[quote="Purple_twiglet
    Doesnt sound like that when you start it with "Orafice" rather than "officer" - you come across as bitter and twisted from the word go.
    .[/quote]

F*** me, put the dummy back in. Most of us refer to officers as "orifices/grown ups" etc. It's nothing to do with class wars, being bitter and twisted or any such sort of accusation you'd care to make. It's just an everyday service term or banter if you like

12. Can I join in with my bitch slap!!!

I'm afraid so.....makes you wonder why the divisional system in the RNR is pants doesnt it.....its certainly not through lack of officers to be your DO.......just a lack of competent ones...lol........!

There thats my slap done...hmm feel much better!

Turning to something more profound....!!!

They say an animal dying of starvation will resort to eating itself or its siblings etc etc..in desperation to try to survive...many of the posts in our forum remind me of that saying......chill out!!!!!!

:thumleft:

13. Not going to get into abusive to-ing and fro-ing but PT's other point was well made though.

If a thread doesn't interest you - miss it out and move on rather than create a whole new thread that just attacks someone

14. Purple_twiglet

Why no Div system - because the Div system is great for a full time navy, but not practical for a part time organisation where many people come in sparingly (I've done no drill nights in over a year), and where DOing is seen as a SLJO role for very green SLT's, or LT's who didnt get out of the way in time.

To make the Div system work, you either have PSI's do the Div role properly, or accept that in a dispersed organisation it simply isn't practical. In the regs you have a good safety net to fall back on, and a green SLT can ask senior rates or other officers for advice - in the RNR the wider corporate knowledge does not exist in the same way.

My parent unit has refreshed its divisional system at least 5 times in 5 years and its still a shambles. While I am a huge advocate of integration, this is one of the few cases where RN practises are not best practise for the RNR.

15. Can the person who is currently custodian of the RNR sense of humour please pass it on.

Jeez fellas. Lighten up a bit. It was an observation not an "all officers are w*nkers" thread.

If you don't like the little nick names officers are given may i suggest you hand in your ID card.

You don't have to actually read the threads to see what they're about. I don't read most of the officer threads because I'm not an officer and much of the things posted on there are will not affect me. But you only have to look at the titles of many of the threads to realise that many of the comments/questions could easily have been posted on a very similar thread already in circulation.

You mention that some of the comments posted on here would make you reconsider joining up if you weren't already in. What do you think it looks like at first glance when all you see is what appears to be the same threads time and time again about direct entry, AIB, JO's, Officer cadets.

With a sense of humour failure like that boys I'm sure you all make cracking Div Officers.

16. Ahem!

The sense of humour failure started with your decision to tilt at windmills over the number of posts regarding officer queries.

When you drop a bollock Trehorn - at least be man enough to take the flak and not try to turn it round as a SOH failure by others.

17. Purple_twiglet

I do recall with wry amusement the thread on arrse, where Officers came up with the various amusing names they had for juniors. Cue page after page of indignant whining from Juniors about how dreadful it was that the big bad nasty officers were name calling.

Seeing as its all a joke, I'll start referring to JR's as Pond Life Scum from now on. All a joke, although I'm guessing if you're not an officer you're probably too thick to guess that ;-)

18. Not sure where the bollock was dropped. I just asked the question.

The point I'm trying to make is that at first glance this would appear to be a wardroom forum. So many questions about the same thing.

I'm not trying to get out of anything. The sense of humour failure relates to PT spitting his dummy out over being called an Orafice. It would appear that you also need your dummy on a string around your neck.

Get a grip. Its a joke! If you don't like it, don't read on. (Where have i heard that one before?? :w00t: )

Karma seemed to manage to see the funny side.

19. Purple_twiglet

Oh Trehorn, its so funny to wind you up. Sitting there ranting away and then sulking when someone calls you on it.

Trust me, that wasn't dummy chucking - I just get a little bored of the same old tired cliches being dragged up in an effort to sound more jack than jack.

20. Oh ... and by the way, it's Orifice; not Oriface or Orafice