How Many Officers in the FAA??

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by scouse, Jun 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Fleet Air Arm has approximately 6,200 personnel, which is over 15% of the Royal Navy's total strength. They operate about 200 combat aircraft and over 50 support and training aircraft!!!!!! So how many officers??? and in what rank?? :roll: :roll:

2. anyone know??

3. Probably worded the post badly Scouse.

Should have posted;- How many officers in the FAA and who cares? :lol: :lol:

On a serious note. No bloody idea.

4. 200 combat aircraft - Does that included the Historic flight?

5. Ha!Ha! at the last count, think it was only 20 Harriers and 90 Rotary wing, the rest trainers . :oops: :oops: ISC

6. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Shhh, you'll wake Norman who will tell us, 'too many especially at Lt Cdr and Commodore level'. After all, ratings flew planes in his day.

Anyhoo, no idea. In the absence of a top of the head answer, why not get a copy of the Navy List and start counting AE, P and O officers? Let us know.

7. I thought The Navy List was binned a couple of years ago - as it was 'incompatible' with JPA.

Another example of us changing our ways to suit a computer programme which should surely be adapted to suit us?

8. Seadog

I hadn't heard that AD but I also haven't seen a 2007, 2008 or 2009 one. You may be right. Stand by,,,,,,,,,,

9. Isn't the Navy List a legal requirement? It used to be available on the rncom site but no longer, they just direct to TSO to buy it.

OALs were replaced by a retrospective printout of postings.

10. Seadog

I thought so. Laws of Armed Conflict, lawful combatants, officers on their State's Service Lists. Or some such.

11. Article 29 of the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) of 10 Dec 1982 states:

I hear on the grapevine that the 2009 edition of the Navy List should appear in September or October after the much delayed issue of the 2008 edition earlier this year. The format will be much the same as for 2007 with the JPA-generated list of names. However, first names will be included this time, not just initials.

12. Surely the 'or its equivalent' clause would allow for a database (such as JPA) instead of an actual list?

13. Only if it were made available to other nations so that they could confirm individual officers' bona fides.

14. Come on Soleil :wink: :wink: " The fount of all knowledge"

15. For what it's worth, an automated search of officers on the Active List in the 2006 edition of the Navy List (the last edition available in pdf format) yields the following figures:

651 x "X P"
    407 x "X O"
    323 x "E AE"
    47 x "AV"
    77 x "X FC"

Obviously, only a portion of these were serving in FAA billets at the time. Ascertaining individuals' rank would take more time than I care to employ but they are spread across the board.

16. Thank you :wink:

17. Not enough, every rating should have one on personal loan!!!

18. So not counting FCs who may only do one job before moving onto the PWO course there were 370 officers and 1058 aircrew ;)

Mind you I suppose you could also take out a good 200 or so of the aircrew who also moved on to PWO and a mainstream X career.

19. :roll: Okay so 1 D.O. for every 5 Wafus :lol: :lol: :lol: