How many of each rank in the Navy?

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by promsan, Apr 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A bit of trivia for those to search for one day... I thought it was interesting:

The RN has:
    2 Sea Lords
    6 Vice-Admirals
    25 Rear-Admirals

290 Captains
    1090 Commanders
    2320 Lievtenant Commanders

out of 7,840, I'm guessing that leaves about 4,000 Lievtenants and about 100 Commodores?

...and about 38,000 Ratings... do they publish such figures I wonder?
  2. I think the last time this was brought to our our attention was by a stalwart of these pages called Norman.
  3. That's all very well but how many Admirals does it take to change a light bulb?

4. None thats what logs(cs)(d) (new name for stewards) are for.
  5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

"Change? CHAAANGE?!?!" :threaten: :rambo:
  6. Naughty SF, and a REAL SAILOR too! o_O ;)

I vaguely remember the Greenies (probably Greenie himself) slapping me down for using that nine letter combination... :lol:

Lamps..... Lamps.... LaMpS..... LAMPS..... :biggrin:
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

In which case...

How many dyslexics does it take to change a light blub?
  8. One to hold the lamp, one to read the instructions, one to remove the encased lamp from its container, one to fetch a ladder, another (with technical expertise) to erect said ladder, another to secure the ladder, an Admiral with a head for heights to ascend the ladder whilst holding the lamp, and inset said lamp. That's more Admirals than the Fleet possesses, unless it recalls some from retirement........ :lol:
  9. That's one officer to every 4.5 ratings
  10. Nowhere near enough then :thumright:
  11. sgtpepperband

And how many Civil Servants to every serviceman? Mind you, the MOD probably need all those extra staff to deal with all of Norman's 'Freedom Of Information' requests... :evil:
  12. Thingy - You are forgetting the extra three (plus one Chairman) to HAZOP the operation and then do a Task Risk Assessment PLUS A N Other to hold the Toolbox Talk before the Permit to Work is submitted (so that is at least one more to sign off the permit) and the we consider re-lampimg!

13. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

There are about 96,000 MOD Civil Servants supporting the forces. Why we need that amount is anyone's business but it's easier to get rid of AIDS than snivel serpents....
  14. sgtpepperband

...and of that 96,000 how many are employed in the Mail Room to carry sackfuls of Norman Stalwart's pointless FoI requests to the incinerator?! :?
  15. FAA numbers post reshuffle

90 WO1 and WO2
    350 CPOAET
    700 POAET
    750 LAET

remainder AET
  16. Quite
  17. ...and close, can of worms.

Right, I'll mark that one "do not open 'til WWIII" and bury it.
  18. Just out of interest, how many AETs are there?

Whilst the fact that the navy has become topheavy is glaringly obvious to any one still serving, it remains a touchy suject on RR, largely due, I suspect, to Norman's repeated attempts to create controversy by bringing the subject up.

God knows, its a more relevant topic for discussion than some of the bilge appearing on here at the moment. Prince Harry in a funny hat anyone? :pukel:
  19. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

About 7% too few as I hear it, plus one less CPOAET(M) as of very recently :thumright:

I have to agree, the problem with Norman is that he makes unsubstantiated statements, if he were to back them up with arguments or substance I for one might start reading his drivel and replying to it.

I hear that when manpower levels were being analysed at Fleet for the most recent reorganisation someone was heard to say that above SO1 was "out of scope for analysis"? Which is nice, the entire RN is on the its arse but some people are "out of scope"........ comforting.
  20. The other day our AMEO was complaining that they are planning to make Lt(ME) do 2(yes 2) sea drafts! A certain bitter and cynical CMEM(M) walked out of the CTO laughing.