Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many hoops

My son first applied to join in Jan 2019. Due to various stumbling blocks he finally did his fitness test on 23/12/19 and passed with flying colours. Had to take in paperwork today and was told he cannot go in as an officer, despite getting 80 UCAS points as they don't accept grade E at ALevel. Can anyone tell me where this is published in their recruitment documents? Very frustrated parent!

soleil

War Hero
It's mentioned on the RN website, Concerned Mum; you might have missed this bit. It says:

"acceptable UCAS points can be accrued from A-level grades A*-D"

It might interest you to know that about 30 per cent of the Royal Navy's Officers joined as Ratings.

Last edited:

slim

War Hero
My son first applied to join in Jan 2019. Due to various stumbling blocks he finally did his fitness test on 23/12/19 and passed with flying colours. Had to take in paperwork today and was told he cannot go in as an officer, despite getting 80 UCAS points as they don't accept grade E at ALevel. Can anyone tell me where this is published in their recruitment documents? Very frustrated parent!
If he cannot negotiate entrance requirements it is unlikelly that he will negotiate successfully Occifer training

Waspie

War Hero
As a potential leader of men I wonder why the applicant didn't query the requirements!
Mind you I can imagine a mum on board would have advantages when making those all important command decisions!!!

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
I can really feel the sympathy here chaps (and chapettes).

OP - this may not be going the way you intended but there is a clear point being made here. Although you may think you had the necessary UCAS points there was a critical part of the requirements that were missed when you both reviewed the website. Such errors may seem trivial but in certain circumstances these sorts of things can affect lives - and have consequences that are irrevocable. Attention to detail and ability to make critical evaluations for basing appropriate decision-making are key skills of an officer - their mistakes can quite literally cost lives.

The door has not been fully closed to your son, but you may both need to adjust your sights or work on achieving further qualifications that can bring that points level up to what the RN will accept so delaying his application until then.

good luck.

He wasn't applying to go in as a warfare officer but as a Hydrography and Meteorology Officer and on this page they only state you need 72 UCAS points with no mention of grade E not being accepted. My son is going to question it and doesn't want me to get involved but I think it needs to be clearer if it is truly the case that grade E is not acceptable.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
He wasn't applying to go in as a warfare officer but as a Hydrography and Meteorology Officer and on this page they only state you need 72 UCAS points with no mention of grade E not being accepted. My son is going to question it and doesn't want me to get involved but I think it needs to be clearer if it is truly the case that grade E is not acceptable.

You mean this one?

I agree there is no reference to the A levels, just GCSEs, and the UCAS points level is shown as 72 and not 80. However, if you follow the "Check elegibility" it takes to you to the page that refers to the A levels on the Qualifications tab.

. . . the minimum academic standard for entry as a Royal Navy Officer is 5 GCSEs A*- C (including maths and English), and 180 UCAS points gained from A Levels or accepted equivalents.
. . . .
Accepted qualifications and their UCAS points equivalent, can be seen here:
  • A Level/Advanced Highers: A=120, B=100, C=80, D=60

No mention of E having any point value, so does not qualify.

It looks relatively clear to me.

sim

Your account is strange to me, and makes me concerned for my own application.

In the same afternoon as sitting my NSRT, I submitted my paperwork to be scanned and added to my dossier and awaited anxiously for the results. ACLO sat me down to discuss the exam and my general outlook and what I knew about the process thus far. They said I scored well enough for my selected role, was happy I understood what I was getting into and was eligible on my academic history (foreign university degree). This was a concern for me having never sat an A-Level but was even informed on the occasion that the admiralty decline my qualifications, it could be possible to apply for a waiver. Afterwards, they gave me instructions for sitting an eye-test, (asked me to repeat back exactly the directions they gave me and I forgot step 2 >.<) and to expect the dreaded triage call and sent me on my way.

You're saying your son got past all of that being told he was eligible, made it all the way to fitness test before being informed that "oops, you're actually not qualified"? That doesn't make sense. The next phase is a career interview. How does your son, or the navy, prepare to conduct an interview for a career he wasn't eligible for in the first place?

Last edited:

ricoETME

Midshipman

In the same afternoon as sitting my NSRT, I submitted my paperwork to be scanned and added to my dossier and awaited anxiously for the results. Lt. sat me down to discuss the exam and my general outlook and what I knew about the process thus far. They said I scored well enough for my selected role, was happy I understood what I was getting into and was eligible on my academic history (foreign university degree). This was a concern for me having never sat an A-Level but was even informed on the occasion that the admiralty decline my qualifications, it could be possible to apply for a waiver. Afterwards, they gave me instructions for sitting an eye-test, (asked me to repeat back exactly the directions they gave me and I forgot step 2 >.
You're saying your son got past all of that being told he was eligible, made it all the way to fitness test before being informed that "oops, you're actually not qualified"? That doesn't make sense. The next phase is a career interview. How does your son, or the navy, prepare to conduct an interview for a career he wasn't eligible for in the first place?

Thank you my thoughts too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alfacharlie

War Hero

In the same afternoon as sitting my NSRT, I submitted my paperwork to be scanned and added to my dossier and awaited anxiously for the results. Lt. sat me down to discuss the exam and my general outlook and what I knew about the process thus far. They said I scored well enough for my selected role, was happy I understood what I was getting into and was eligible on my academic history (foreign university degree). This was a concern for me having never sat an A-Level but was even informed on the occasion that the admiralty decline my qualifications, it could be possible to apply for a waiver. Afterwards, they gave me instructions for sitting an eye-test, (asked me to repeat back exactly the directions they gave me and I forgot step 2 >.<) and to expect the dreaded triage call and sent me on my way.

Probably the same script as my “underwater knife fighting/commando/para/mountain leader/spud tankey branch which I told everyone about in the co-op. Just waiting on the maths test for it.
Wish me luck!!

sim

Probably the same script as my “underwater knife fighting/commando/para/mountain leader/spud tankey branch which I told everyone about in the co-op. Just waiting on the maths test for it.
Wish me luck!!

I'm unclear whether that was directed at my story, or our concerned mum.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Lol, you're right not everything is about me ;)

I guess you kind of see them all after a while. It's too bad, I feel things are easier when people just tell the truth.
I haven’t a scooby what you’re on about now. Just in from work.
Wanna buy some home brew???

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G How many attempts? Joining the Royal Navy 9
MoD_RSS Speech: Notre Dame was a tragedy, but in too many parts of the world it's the Christian congregation that perishes: article by Jeremy Hunt MoD News 0
Captain Birdseye How many times are you allowed to apply? Joining the Royal Navy 6
MoD_RSS Press release: Minister calls on businesses to reveal how many disabled staff they employ MoD News 0
K How many beep test push-ups can you do? The Quarterdeck 1
youngmarino So many questions... Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS News story: CDE themed competition webinar: many drones make light work MoD News 0
B Aircrew Medical - How many actually pass. The Fleet Air Arm 2
B How many rating intakes to HMS Raleigh a year? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
Capn_Pugwash How many fingers in a Kitkat? Diamond Lil's 7
Ash Rich Why are so many engineers leaving? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Dredd There are many ways to protect a nation . . . Diamond Lil's 2
S How many tools are there in the Royal Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
scouse SAR many moons ago The Fleet Air Arm 6
soleil Telegraph: "'Too Many Quitting Forces' MPs Warn" Current Affairs 40
S RN Ships Divers Course - How many dives? The Quarterdeck 17
J How many days a year does a submariner get to spend with their families ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
P Mow many remember !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Sharkey How many times Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
trehorn Vauxhaull Insignia - too many toys? Motoring 7
trelawney126 How Many Days No 9's For this? The Gash Barge 2
trelawney126 How many have the Crabs got Left?l The Fleet Air Arm 5
Sherlock-Holmes How many different nationality's have you had your way with? Diamond Lil's 38
J how many frenchmen...... Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker How Many Land Ops 0
v8topcat Many a true word spoken in jest Diamond Lil's 10
stan_the_man Whores how many have you banged and where Diamond Lil's 18
2_deck_dash Hobbies. Can you have too many? Hobbies & The Great Indoors 16
P So many Newbies..Whats our chances??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Stuart_G Why so many AETs? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
A Newbie asking many newbie question! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
scouse How Many Officers in the FAA?? The Fleet Air Arm 18
G Do u get to visit many diff countrys in submarine service ? Submariners 40
W How many @ Basic Training ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
alex123 How many astutes will the navy actually get? Submariners 15