How long to keep a Beard?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Frankie85, Sep 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grown a beard and i've been told that i have to now keep a beard for 6months at the least as it is a change of appearance? can anybody clarify this for me please?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you've changed your ID card to reflect your altered appearance, as you should, I'd guess your DO may well advise that it should be retained for a minimum period. There's nothing in BR3 Article 3818 (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-an...ents/Naval Publications/BR 3/br3book/ch38.pdf )to state there are minimum timescales, but I'd guess it's a case of applying a little common sense and not changing one's mind on a whim.

Logically if you cannot get a faceseal when wearing BA or a respirator, then you have good reason to shave off.

3. Grew a beard on deployment once ... got home and 'er indoors made me shave it off as I was scaring the kids! I was more scared of her than the Joss and didn't get any grief!

4. I'm sure if you talk to your local playground Regulator they will appraise you of the regs, (if any), on one's set!!!!

5. How long to keep a beard? If you are a follower of Allan, or even ZZ Top, then as long as possible seems to be the case, at least to your chest.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I kept mine for 25 years, mainly because I wasn't allowed to be near any sharp objects!!

7. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

This bloke has a religious cult following? Blimey.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. You grew a beard in a week! did you type this sat in a tyre with a banana.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I can confirm the speed with which Jimbo's beard grows. When we last went out for a drink, he had a short growth at 1900 but by 2130, it was like sitting opposite this bloke;

[​IMG]

10. This long.

beard1.jpg

11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I assume the OP is female..? :?

12. When you do shave-off your SET leave a magnificent womb-brush and sideboards like Del Piero and see how long you can wander round your ship/boat/establishment before being hauled up. I once wandered round barracks for a full day sporting a WWII black cap and no fekker took the slightest, grog was in then if that's of any relevance?