How long is a contract in Royal Navy?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
These days it's 18 years but you can put 12 months notice in after roughly 4 years, there are different rules during basic training.

Until fairly recently it was 22 years, before that ( when I joined) it was 3, 6, 9, 12 or 22.
I did 22 and then got asked to do another 10, which I did. At the end of that I was asked to do another 5 but I declined ;)

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
The trick was to sign on for 9 initially. When you signed on again you used to get an additional 2 weeks leave, so sign on for 12, then later sign on for 22! Happy days!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
The trick was to sign on for 9 initially. When you signed on again you used to get an additional 2 weeks leave, so sign on for 12, then later sign on for 22! Happy days!
I signed for 9 initially but later on went straight to 22 so I could get LSAP and buy a house, signed on for 22 being part of the criteria to get the loan.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S How long is the Royal Navy contract? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS News story: MOD signs £146 million contract to upgrade RAF’s long-range missile MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New contract to support the RAF’s long range missiles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Multi-billion pound investment as government unveils new long-term plan to tackle flooding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Supporting LDCs through short and long-term pandemic recovery MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The long and widened road: A500 work finishes ahead of schedule MoD News 0
A What happens after interview stage? How long do you have to wait till you get to HMS Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
MoD_RSS UK calls for ‘long term’ approach to prepare for future pandemics at World Bank meeting MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: land off Station Road, Long Melford, Suffolk (ref: 3214377 - 1 April 2020) MoD News 0
U Has "Chinese Flu" crippled the West long term? Current Affairs 18
W How long at sea - pilot / obs The Fleet Air Arm 3
MoD_RSS Peace for both Israelis and Palestinians is long overdue MoD News 0
P How long before should you prepare for the PJFT? Joining the Royal Navy 20
soleil D. Telegraph: "Royal Navy Adjusts Rules To Allow Rastafarians To Keep Long Hair And Beards" Bases / Shore Est 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: land at the Long Shoot, land north of Greendale Road, Nuneaton CV11 6EU (ref: 3217924 - 4 November 2019) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Launch of #BritsInColombia - A little local knowledge goes a long way MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal visit marks long-standing dialogue with Japan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Month-long crackdown to improve road safety on M62 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1 million to boost haulage sector and combat long-term unemployment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Quinquennial Review – GAD takes the long view MoD News 0
A How long are medical assistant deployments for submariners ? Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS Speech: Escalation is not in the long-term interest of any of the parties MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: The Long Paw of the Law - Meet Dstl's Police Dogs MoD News 0
S How long? Joining the Royal Navy 12
MoD_RSS Speech: Delivering long term stability to the Sahel region MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Spinning experiment may help long stay hospital patients MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: 200ft-long motorway bridge bites the dust MoD News 0
O How long is the professional training durring the accelerated appreticeship scheme(Air engineering) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
MoD_RSS Press release: Environment Agency day-long sting confirms 11 illegal waste sites MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Long-lasting repairs to stop potholes MoD News 0
Ghost29 How long is wait after security clearance granted before i get a entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS News story: New research on the long-term health of 2 groups of older veterans MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Justice Secretary David Gauke sets out long-term for justice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Secretary congratulates Greece for voting to resolve long-standing ‘Macedonia’ dispute MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Long-term plan for GCSE computer science confirmed MoD News 0
Maxpowers How long after PJFT can I expect an entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
Rum_pot How long can you stay in the royal navy? Joining the Royal Navy 32
MoD_RSS Statement to parliament: Secretary of State's oral statement on the NHS Long Term Plan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: NHS Long Term Plan launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM: Launch of the NHS Long Term Plan marks an historic step to secure its future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £40 million personalised support package for long-term unemployed disabled people launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Addressing the long-standing causes of instability in the Sahel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Number of children in long-term workless households at lowest level in over a decade MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Homes England plan to tackle long-term housing challenges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New UK support to boost long-term stability in Somalia MoD News 0
M How long after face to face medical do you get your Fitness test date? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
C How long does capita to give you a medical interview? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
T what format and how long should my urn be. Joining the Royal Navy 14
A How long did it take Capita to review your medical info? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
MoD_RSS Speech: Abstention of resolutions on long-standing issues between Israel and the Palestinian people MoD News 0