How long does the medical take

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by abbeymass, Jun 16, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I have my date for my medical but want to see if it takes longer than 2 hours total so i can get back in time for work?

obviously i will talk to my work if not but saves hassle...

Abbey

2. Can't remember the exact time but it didn't take 2 hours. Probably about half an hour. I suppose it depends on how long it takes you to do 5 press ups.

3. Press ups at a medical?

4. Unless there is a hold up at the beginning and you have to wait for your appointment can't imagine it will be 2 hours. Mine was 45 mins at the most, had to do press ups in me under crackers.

5. You don't do press ups at a medical?
    Its with an outside company too

6. Part of the medical was to perform 5 press ups.

7. when did you do your medical? was it with the outside company they are doing it with now?

8. i did not no this axel... i can thankfully do push ups

9. I had to do them in my bra and nicks, its to check you aren't hiding any injuries i think? Unless i was duped :( they are not timed or anything just to check your skeleton moves the way it ought to. As long as you follow the advice on the letter and turn up on time (10 mins early) i wouldn't worry.

10. Yes my medical was done with Capita. I'm sure there is a thread outlining the whole process.

11. ahhh thank you i will have a hunt for it now

Im getting a train there and its 2 hours each way and meant to start work at 2 so just want to make sure I don't mess people around.
    :)

12. Yeah I had to do press ups along with walking on my heels when squatting, walking on my tip toes etc. Good luck with your medical.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yup. At mine I had pressups, situps, jumping jacks and lunges. Only 4 or 5 of each one, think it's just to make sure you don't show any signs of duress doing simple things. Mine took about 30-45 minutes the first time (failed due to fat bastardness) and about an an hour the second time but that was mostly due to waiting times as there were a few of us there.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The longest part of the medical is waiting for your bloody GP to send paperwork over to capita if there are any medical issues from your past the doctors want to iron out. Was an absolute pain in the arse to get mine sorted.

15. this has been really helpful thank you guys!!!

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The medical itself, assuming the doc is not runnng late, should take between 20 to 30 mins.

They do conduct a Beighton Test and your spine for mobility (touch toes, etc) but press ups are not usually a mandatory part of any medical. That said I've heard tell of people having to "walk like a duck" and stuff. Just don't fall for the "please take your clothes off" gag.

In short, it's the same as the RM medical, except the minimum weight bit: Medical Examination- What's involved? | Royal Marines

• Like Like x 1
  17. Do they still fondle your bollocks as part of the medical? They did in the 90s. Or was that just me? (it was my fave part of the process)

18. i don't have 'bollocks' to fondle lol

19. 'Top bollocks'?