How long does it Take at this current time from my diving medical??

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by zibest, Jan 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey People!
    I have my diving medical coming up and was just wondering whether im close to my basic training or if im gettin ahead of myself!i am just really eager to get in and learn yet the more eager i become the longer its starting to feel like its taking :( lol i hope theres someone that could give me the answer it would be much appreciated, thanks
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

On average Divers take about 18 months to two years to join. Ish.

To date it sounds like you've only taken the Recruiting Test & had your eyes tested. Most people have their eyes tested within a week of passing the recruiting test and return their application forms the same week. A diving medical is usually booked within a month to 6 weeks, so not sure why your application is taking a "long" time. Delays are usually due to the applicant taking yonks to get their eyes tested and return their completed paperwork.

Once the diving medical is complete, the PJFT should be taken within 28 days but you can book it straight away if you like after being passed fit. The selection interview is usually completed within a couple of weeks of a PJFT pass.

The Pre Diving Acquaint (PDA) is requested after the interview is passed and can take anything from 6 months to a year to get a place - we don't need many Divers, so have correspondingly few courses. The pass rate at PDA is "not good" to put it politely as few prepare adequately. A PDA fail can result in a further years delay, so preparation is the key.

Good luck.
  3. Are you getting ahead of yourself... yes. I have passed everything and awaiting a date for my PEDA... been sat on my hands (figuratively, i have been working my arse off) since late October. expect a decent wait.
  4. thanks for your replies and they are aprreciated greatly!