How long does it take a submariner to get his Dolphins?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Steve D, Sep 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if I am posting in the wrong place only used this site once or twice! I go in the navy in 7 weeks as ME(SM) just wondering how long it takes from the time you start training to getting your dolphins and officially becoming a submariner?

Cheers in advance :)

2. Depends on how hard you work at your part 3. People will be slightly miffed and on your back if you take more than 3 months. (they will be on your back any way) It aint any fun and you will want to get it out of the way as soon as. But things may have changed since I was in but not much.

3. aww, I thought this was a joke thread. :(

4. Down to you!

No reading books, unless it is your task book or a publication related to the boat's systems. Using the mess for eating only - no movies or relaxing. Sleep - what? You want to sleep as well? Allow maybe an hour or two a day.

Love your dit book!

5. Still got some of mine. Was lost without it.

6. If you mean from joining the RN, then a ballpark time is in the region of 12-18 months dependant upon any gaps/delays in your training pipeline...and of course how much effort you put in yourself.

7. Hey Steve, I also start my basic training in 7 weeks (6th Nov) as a ME(SM). I'd imagine I'll see you down there...good luck with it!

8. Good stuff m8 shall see you there :)

9. Hello steve, I joined the RN as an ETME(SM) in may and am currently in week 4 of phase 2 training at Sultan. I am due to finish here and start SMQ dry in January next year. I will then hopefully join my first boat in April. I have been told that if you work hard you could finish your taskbook in less than a month. I hope this helps. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. Ryan