How long do you keep a secret?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by spearfish, Jul 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There has recently appeared two pieces in a Barrow newspaper about Warspite's collision with an iceberg(Submarine) in 1968.How long do you think you should remain quiet about a similiar event?

2. We all know about the Titanic shippers!LOL

3. When did the White Star Line start running ssn's then Andym?

4. You didnt specify the vessel type,just a "similar" incident.Vessel striking iceberg.Take alook at life, then laugh in its face!

5. This is the submariners part of RR,and it was the silent service that did the sneakies up North!I will restate the question:Submariners of Her Majesty's Navy how long do you think you are expected to keep your mouth shut and who do you think will come calling if you don't??

6. well you signed the official secrets act on joining the RN and on joining the submarine service so if they wanted to they could call you in for a ‘chat' if they thought you did something naughty or said something naughty as they did with the former MI6 officer Richard Tomlinson when he was arrested in France on June 29th this year

Apparently he had posted on his website some Google earth photos of a little place down south where james bond types may or may not be allegedly

so if in doubt say nowt

i for example have never told anyone of the secret alien space crafts kept at benbecula in scotland ... oh shit!!

7. Hegs are the aliens the ones who fly in the glenmorrangie?

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I think that you will find that the Official Secrets Act is for life, just how seriously it would be taken after say 30 years out of the job is another matter.

9. Some thirty years on I don't mind admitting where we went, but that is only because the information is in the public domain now, but I would be very circumspect about discussing what we actually did, although many Americans have been quite candid about some of their past activities.

Peter

10. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

As published in a book called "Blind Mans Bluff" - a fascinating insight into the mind of submariners!

11. It only takes 2 nuts to sink a ship,
    One in the bilges and one in the messdeck.....
    Popular sign onboard sleek grey bringers of death to submariners in the oh so wonderful days of towed array patrols after crazy Ivan

12. Much longer than you would like!

13. You really think we have minds?

Peter

14. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Talking of keeping secrets, I took my Son, then about 8 years old, shooting with myself and a party of friends. He became detached and for a short time was lost in the woods.

On being reunited with him, I said,"Best not tell your Mother, or you won't be allowed to come out again."

He told Her the other day, Her first words "If I had known that you wouldn't have gone out again."

I should mention that He is now 39 and still a shooting and fishing man.

15. How do you think that the operations of the submarine service during the cold war should be remembered, if at all?I think that I have said before, that if Nelson had submarines we would only now be hearing what they got up to!!

16. For most things the key to remembrance is that the story should be told, and I do not see any real reason why the story of what was done is not told. There are other aspect that perhaps should remain secret for many years yet like most of the hows and whys.

Peter

17. What if Julius Ceaser had nukes!!...the Iceni would have been f*cked before tha revolt started!!

18. Post Edited.

19. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I think that I would have kept secret my knowledge of such secrets - I thought you lot were meant to be the silent service! :)

20. Imagine if Custer could have had an M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank.
    I think he would have been able to wave two fingers at Sitting Bull whilst pressing the fire button of his 120mm smooth bore cannon as arrows bounced uselessly off the reactive armour