How long did you serve?

How long did you serve?

• Total voters

rnsparker

Midshipman
Jan 66 to Sep 98 Serving
Sep 98 to Jun 2005 CS working for RN
Jun 2005 > Flagship (still working for RN)

Lifer!!! comes to mind

Granddad

In for 15 still think it was great, learnt not to volunteer. Only time I did was to join a ships detachment that was going to the West Indies. Whilst at Eastney for training found out we were going to the Persian Gulf.

bomber831

My mrs still has to rock my bed and make tiller flat noises so that i can get my head down. 13years done and it wasnt as bad as they make out or was it. i was never sober long enough to remember haha . anchors aweigh lads

Barny

Midshipman
14 and still counting.
Be in for a while yet!!
The Mob changes with the times and it will never 'be like it used to be!!'. So I say take it for what it is cos the people who join are still the same type....!!!!
Done some stuff I would never have done otherwise (Flew a Chopper/Rapid roped onto a container ship/Hands to Bathe in the Red Sea/Spent a couple of nights on FS Charles De Gaulle/Got arrested in Rio for Skinny Dipping on Copa Cabana Beach/......to name but a few.....).

onions

GCM
A tad under 25 years. Joined mid 56 and left early 81. Had good times and bad times, but in the 70s the "Fun" started going out of being in a blue suit. As NBCD(Q) on the Apollo, late 70s, day running at Portland I was working 20 hour days!!

Keep Striving

stirling2

Banned
onions said:
A tad under 25 years. Joined mid 56 and left early 81. Had good times and bad times, but in the 70s the "Fun" started going out of being in a blue suit. As NBCD(Q) on the Apollo, late 70s, day running at Portland I was working 20 hour days!!

Keep Striving
Agree totally :cry:

polariod

Lantern Swinger
stirling said:
onions said:

Keep Striving
Left in 75 after 11 years. I also felt that "my navy" had changed but also felt that I could do more for my family as a civvie. It took me over 5 years to settle and still feel smugly superior to many who have not experienced service life.

Redundancy has come my way four times, all with different firms and I often think that if these companies had been staffed by matelots things may have been different.

Pol

stirling2

Banned
polariod said:
stirling said:
onions said:

Keep Striving
Left in 75 after 11 years. I also felt that "my navy" had changed but also felt that I could do more for my family as a civvie. It took me over 5 years to settle and still feel smugly superior to many who have not experienced service life.

Redundancy has come my way four times, all with different firms and I often think that if these companies had been staffed by matelots things may have been different.

Pol
Do not think I will ever settle :cry:

polariod

Lantern Swinger
stirling said:
polariod said:
stirling said:
onions said:

Keep Striving

Pol
Do not think I will ever settle :cry:
I feel as though I have but others tend to disagree!!!

Pol

Darkershadeofblu

Lantern Swinger
I left this year after 27+yrs when I found I was just marking time with nothing further to look forward to, so I now enjoy the pension before Gordan starts messing about with my entitlement!

Slop_Jockey

Badgeman
Done 16 years - magnificent....
Left 2001 - - Civi street piece of piss...! Ended up in an office getting bored to death by one ex-crabfat and an ex-tank driver. How I miss the days of seasick and wonderful exercises off the top of scotland in force 9's! Cooking slop for all you happy people.