How long did you serve?

How long did you serve?

• Total voters

R094V1-George

Badgeman
9 years, 3 RFR. Seems ages ago now, best part of my life, still miss the life but glad I`m not serving at sea with the bliddy wrens.

siggy63

Joined in 1980 as a naval communicator and left in 1990 just as the OM Branch started to filter thru. Back in as RNR from 1991 to 1993 and again from 1997 to 2000.

Whilst at sea as RNR I had the honour of the RN OM(C) (communicator) wake me to read some flashing light with the USN ship who sent too fast for them and they didn't want to wake the PO OM(C).

siggy63 said:
Joined in 1980 as a naval communicator and left in 1990 just as the OM Branch started to filter thru. Back in as RNR from 1991 to 1993 and again from 1997 to 2000.

Whilst at sea as RNR I had the honour of the RN OM(C) (communicator) wake me to read some flashing light with the USN ship who sent too fast for them and they didn't want to wake the PO OM(C).
I have a dit in a similar vein, a mate serving on a carrier and some systems or other went down. When the ops room was asked who could run a GOP, she put her hand up - the only RNR and the only girl!

dondon

MIA
Morse said:
BUT...How many who when they were in, couldn't wait to get out, and now that they are out, WISH that they were back in again.

-- --- .-. ... .
Sort of rings a bell , last 5 years I was only in for the pension , but so glad I did it , though I seriously doubt if I'd like to be in now , :roll:

Darb

Lantern Swinger
11 years (then 5 years on reserve status, obliged to keep enough kit to look tidy were I to be called up). The ex wife had given me a choice - her or the Mob. I made the wrong decision and we were divorced within four months of going outside.

Recently saw that one of the guys who was also a SLUT onboard Minerva and then went on to do the same Sub's course as me, was the skipper of Richmond. Another guy who was deputy class leader when I was class leader at Raleigh, and who turned up at Dartmouth at the same time as me is currently skipper of the Endurance.

Leaving was not one of my better decisions. "If onlys" can be a bugger.

dondon

MIA
gizawetofyagoffaskin said:
11 years (then 5 years on reserve status, obliged to keep enough kit to look tidy were I to be called up). The ex wife had given me a choice - her or the Mob. I made the wrong decision and we were divorced within four months of going outside.

Recently saw that one of the guys who was also a SLUT onboard Minerva and then went on to do the same Sub's course as me, was the skipper of Richmond. Another guy who was deputy class leader when I was class leader at Raleigh, and who turned up at Dartmouth at the same time as me is currently skipper of the Endurance.

Leaving was not one of my better decisions. "If onlys" can be a bugger.

I bet they can [if onlys] , so bloody glad I stuck it out for the full stretch , that pension comes in handy so many times , how most civvies manage I just don't know , must be a nightmare !!!!!!!!!!! :?:

rictic

Badgeman
Six years seven months, it would have been longer except for a stroppy joss. I did a 28 day resettlement course, arrived back at base and had to do the runaround of signing back in and signing off to go to Nelson for discharge, I was planning on withdrawing my notice when I got there, I came out of the admin block having handed in my paperwork and was walking across to my car to head to Nelson when the new joss accosted me. Get your sideburns cut to regulation and a hair cut, come and see me in 20 minutes.
I explained I was on my way to Nelson for discharge. I don't care come and see me in 20 minutes hair cut sideburns trimmed. I just said Bollocks, got in my car and went to Nelson. I just thought to myself I don't have to put up with tossers like that anymore.
Sometimes I wished I'd signed back on, other times I think of the things I've seen and done since the mob. I don't regret a single day in the mob.

Jace

Midshipman
18 years six months. Served 15 years in boats as scablifter (SM), finally invalided out unfit for further Naval Service.

Do I miss it ? Sometimes yes, then I remember the times that some back aftie shook me in me rack as he came off the middle watch with a headache looking for a fcuking asprin, and I thank God I'm out :twisted:

Jace

lesbryan

War Hero
I did the twelve loved it reasons for coming out compassionate.would do it all again though and stay in this time :)

32 years 10 months and 26 days. Not that I'm counting of course - but...I don't think it's really right for me. So I'll have to go and get a proper job I suppose! :lol: :lol: :lol:

lesbryan

War Hero
that pension comes in handy so many times , how most civvies manage I just don't know , must be a nightmare !!!!!!!!!!!
never had to bother my works pension is far better than i would have got if i had done my time ||

Bathyman

Midshipman
22 years and 2 years 8 months boys time. Of the boys time 1 year 6 months in a compliment billet....
Glad when I got out, now the pigs call me sir. :twisted:

oldseadog

War Hero
dunkers said:
oldseadog said:
Joined '68 ..... and still at it!

OSD
Are you 1SL? ;)
Nah, ball, dog & basket me, mate!

1SL? I certainly wish I was! Apart from which, he tends to be Andrew!

Westy was OK. (can't say too much. He has probably got a handle on this board!) Err... Hello, Sir Allan, I was only joking, Sir! Pinkers in the mess next time? Yes Sir, it's my shout!

I have no time for the politicos, and wouldn't have lasted very long. I would probably have seen if a cruise really would go through the No 10 letterbox!

BTW Was anyone else stupid enough to go for the 'deferred pension', payable at 65? What they didn't say was that it's value could go down as well as down!

OSD