How long did you serve?

How long did you serve?

• Total voters

JFP

Badgeman
22 years. I still use a metal tray to put my meals into. I also insist on walking round the perimeter of the garden (shuffling slowly) and eventually reach the kitchen to collect my food. We also play bingo in the kitchen.

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
22 years. I still use a metal tray to put my meals into. I also insist on walking round the perimeter of the garden (shuffling slowly) and eventually reach the kitchen to collect my food. We also play bingo in the kitchen.
Was that 22 years in the Navy or 22 years in prison?

I realise some may equate both !

SweepDoc

30 years and three months from a boy of 15 to a WO at 45. I had a ball with a couple of years in the Far East as well as a year swanning around the Caribbean and a a tour of South America. That’s without mentioning umpteen months in the Med.
I’d do it all again in a heartbeat.

Dabs

Lantern Swinger
30 years and three months from a boy of 15 to a WO at 45. I had a ball with a couple of years in the Far East as well as a year swanning around the Caribbean and a a tour of South America. That’s without mentioning umpteen months in the Med.
I’d do it all again in a heartbeat.
Lucky bugger, I did 35 and it wasn't all a ball. In my younger years I was treat like a lump of shit off an A/B's shoe. By the time I joined my second ship, I thought I knew my way around the Navy. Wrong, but nevertheless, I did go through the promotion procedure and left as a Warrant. The years between Leading Hand and Warrant could make a Hollywood film, if you took out all the profanity. But like you said, other than the bad times, which were many, I wouldn't change a thing. Except, I would have left after 35 years as a Vice Admiral. I doubt that I could have gone further because of my time in RNDQ's. I definately would have done that, because those blokes were an inspiration. They were in and out and in and out of the nick, but what a bunch of realistic and enspiring people they were.
When I say enspiring, I'm talking about branch matters, eg Seamanship and stuff. Did you know that the leather from a cats tail could be made into a very servicable dog leash?