How long did you serve?

How long did you serve?


  • Total voters
    1,266

Jack77

War Hero
22 years, plus 10 years Rocky time so far. Sometimes I wonder why I left, then I talk to mates still in and remember :D
 
dondon said:
MightyCrash said:
Just coming up to my 12 year point - the lyrics should I stay or should I go are rattling around my head daily!
Stick it out for the pension mate :p :lol:
I made the same calculations in my head but the money in the new job was well over what I would get from pension, no regrets but if you feel it is getting old.... life is too short to do a job you don't like mate.
 
MightyCrash said:
Just coming up to my 12 year point - the lyrics should I stay or should I go are rattling around my head daily!
I did 12 years and 4 months, but I wasn't really counting. :D

I got to 11 years, the half way stage, and realised it had just become another job. I worked 8 to 4, after that I wasn't interested, so I knew it was time to go. In went the notice.


Mind you, I reckon it took me a good 12 months to realise I wasn't just on leave.
 
Served 12 years boy to man, before a lot of you were born, started at the famous H.M.S. Ganges, or should that be infamous in 1950 and dont regret one minute, I am now active in the Ganges association and the Royal naval association. Once navy always navy, and I have two nephews and a grandson serving at the present. I finished as an LTO.
 
Mind you, Lingyai, I reckon the start of your career was at the end of mine, so I would have been the one giving you a slap for being gobby, shortly before signing your task book.
 
Streaky said:
Mind you, Lingyai, I reckon the start of your career was at the end of mine, so I would have been the one giving you a slap for being gobby, shortly before signing your task book.
Yeah, now I come to think of it, you might have been the one who regularly sodomised me down in the gyro room you perv, wish they had childline in those days...
Didn't even have the decency to give me a reacharound either..
 

dondon

MIA
Lingyai said:
Streaky said:
Mind you, Lingyai, I reckon the start of your career was at the end of mine, so I would have been the one giving you a slap for being gobby, shortly before signing your task book.
Yeah, now I come to think of it, you might have been the one who regularly sodomised me down in the gyro room you perv, wish they had childline in those days...
Didn't even have the decency to give me a reacharound either..
Excuse me Lingyai , sorry for being naive , but whats a reacharound , or is it me just not using my imagination along the right lines , :evil: 8O :lol:
 
dondon said:
Lingyai said:
Streaky said:
Mind you, Lingyai, I reckon the start of your career was at the end of mine, so I would have been the one giving you a slap for being gobby, shortly before signing your task book.
Yeah, now I come to think of it, you might have been the one who regularly sodomised me down in the gyro room you perv, wish they had childline in those days...
Didn't even have the decency to give me a reacharound either..
Excuse me Lingyai , sorry for being naive , but whats a reacharound , or is it me just not using my imagination along the right lines , :evil: 8O :lol:
A reacharound is just plain good manners in the world of buggery :D
 
Lingyai said:
Streaky said:
Mind you, Lingyai, I reckon the start of your career was at the end of mine, so I would have been the one giving you a slap for being gobby, shortly before signing your task book.
Yeah, now I come to think of it, you might have been the one who regularly sodomised me down in the gyro room you perv, wish they had childline in those days...
Didn't even have the decency to give me a reacharound either..

You'd have then got a slap for making a mess on the highly polished deck.
:lol:
 
To return to the original question and move away from sexual activities of clanky's and other technicians in the deepest bowels of the Grey Funnel Line. If you want more money, freedom of action and have a form of well rewarded empoyment that you have a reasonable certainty of getting then leave.

If you like the close companionship of your oppos, certainty where the next meal and bed is coming from, protection from, goverment departments, tax man, DHSS, NHS, Local Goverment, rush hours, public transport etc. stay in.

I joined Plod whrn I left and even the close ties people said officers have was nothing like service life.

Nutty

PS Hello from a cold Brighton, back to Espana soon
 

navywalsh

Midshipman
22 years and 5 months from May 1950 to October 1972, had a great time and would do it all over again. Had some rough times but only remember the good times. Great ships, great friends, saw the world. Wish I was 50 years younger although it appears to be a different Navy now and not half as good as in my day. (Apologies to those still serving).
 

BlackDwarf

Midshipman
None (yet)

My dad did 26 years ending as a Commander. I have fond memories of his ships as a child :)
I was christened in HMS Arethusa's upturned bell, and drove HMS Walney when dad was captain. Got Navy in me veins :p
 

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
With the caveat RNR rather than RN, I've been "in" since 1 July 1985. In the time my branch has moved from Comms(T) to Comms(Sea) briefly into GSSR(Comms) and more recently to CIS. I witnessed the loss of 10MCM and the MSFs, have served in a Royal Guard for Anne, been in the guard at HMS Sussex when we returned the Freedom of Hove scroll and Freedom of Worthing (two parades in one day) on our closure, was at the commissioning of King Alfred, have been privileged to attend the Festival of Remembrance at the Albert Hall, attended the RNR100 parade on Horse Guards (brilliant day) and more recently was the CPO who received the Freedom of the City of Brum on behalf of HMS Forward. (Oh, and I've had a full time civvy job too! :) )
 

BusterQuin

War Hero
23yrs and 10 months, been out four years now, miss the social life,ethos and the companionship.
Don't miss all the hassle and extra non branch related crap such as being a DO, divisions idiot baby officers (just replaced by idiot managers)
As I do shiftwork I spend more time awake at night than watchkeeping but once my shift ends I go home and don't get hauled out of my pit for silly snags, action stations etc
Overall enjoyed my time but wouldn't go back
 

radar.uk

Midshipman
I did just over 10 years and left for a normal life.....if there is such a thing. Wish I had gone back in when I had the chance life out here isn't all its cracked up to be.
 

Morse

Newbie
BUT...How many who when they were in, couldn't wait to get out, and now that they are out, WISH that they were back in again.

-- --- .-. ... .
 

Sea_Dodger

Lantern Swinger
18 Years 7 Months. Still in but on the final lap now.

Can't wait to leave and grow my hair long, like it was before I joined.

Unfortunately I have no hair on top now so it will have to be in the style of Terry Nutkins.
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

New Posts

Top