How long can you stay in the royal navy?

WreckerL

War Hero
There are some industries that offer secure employment, as long as they don't downsize, outsource or you screw up, the water supply and waste industry is one, hope this helps?
Funeral directors always seem to be busy ;)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Basically the RN offers a 20 year contract to those prepared to advance themselves. For those expecting employment beyond 20 years, the bottom line is you have to provide the skillset and competency required by the service. Like any employer, not in the charity industry, no-one is going to continue to employ anyone that is not of use to them

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
I had to retire at 40 whether I wanted to or not - at Portland I had the highest number of promotion points amongst all of the PO's (and there must have been hundreds there) but in a small Jack Dusty branch I had to wait for a CPO to leave or die - didn't happen

But, on the bright side, I left young enough to create a very successful career in civvy street - it what you make it at the time

Retire in August
Navy Pension
NHS Pension
Full State Pension

What's not to like :cool:

Scran_Bag

Lantern Swinger
I had to retire at 40 whether I wanted to or not - at Portland I had the highest number of promotion points amongst all of the PO's (and there must have been hundreds there) but in a small Jack Dusty branch I had to wait for a CPO to leave or die - didn't happen

But, on the bright side, I left young enough to create a very successful career in civvy street - it what you make it at the time

Retire in August
Navy Pension
NHS Pension
Full State Pension

What's not to like :cool:
The huge amount of Income Tax that you will have to sadly pay :eek:

Sumo

War Hero
The huge amount of Income Tax that you will have to sadly pay :eek:
Your taxed all your working life, if you do OK and have a good pension you're taxed in retirement and if you really did well, your family gets hit with death duty taxes? Can't sodding win, unless you choose to scrounge of the state all your life and pay no taxes?

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
I know - I am trying to work out how much lump sum I should take to prevent me having to pay 40% - bloody outrageous but probably a problem lots of other people would like but will never have

Note to self:

For anyone scrinnying that deplorable Americanjism "Gee, it sucks"
the correct future response should be:

"Well cut along & suck it up then, Sunshine!"

Was offered 10 at the end of my 22, turned it down much to my CO's amazement (he thought everybody loved the RN)!!! Glad I did as JFH disbanded shortly after and I had bought a house up there. People I did know who took the extra 10 came to an end last year and are doing another 5 now.

Thought it would be easier getting a job at 40 rather that 50 plus.

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
Absolutely - much more marketable at 40 - had a job before I left the mob (on twice a PO's salary I might add)