How long can you stay in the royal navy?

Rum_pot

Midshipman
I understand that your first contract for the royal navy is 20 years but how easy is it to stay on for longer. Is it the case of as long as you want to stay they will give you a new contract or will they say that you have to leave. Is it easy to stay until you are 60 if you want to.

I’ve been asked if I want to serve 47 years in total.

I suspect that you’ll be asked to extend your service past 20 is a) yuo’re any good, b) work in a shortage category and c) are relatively healthy...

I got asked to do another 10 when I came up t the 22 year point, which I did, then when I was due to leave after that I got asked to do another 5, which as it was sea going, I declined. I know of others who keep getting extensions but it's down to the RN's requirements, as A_T_G says, it's not your choice as such, with regards to service extensions.

I was on the signal for extension when I came to my 22 year point. I declined for personal reasons.
8 months after leaving and settled in a new job, I received a letter from drafty asking if I wanted to rejoin. I didn't!!

As mentioned above, there are reasons which may lead to the offer being made at a point in your career which fits with your career timing (done / to do) and the mobs needs.

Sumo

War Hero
When I was asked if I wanted to extend I declined, after my training the choice was out after return of course service or 22year pension, I chose 22 (24) years and out. All those that said yes, had a sea draft in the post? Right choice for me.

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
When I was asked if I wanted to extend I declined, after my training the choice was out after return of course service or 22year pension, I chose 22 (24) years and out. All those that said yes, had a sea draft in the post? Right choice for me.
Exactly the same for me Sumo - did my 24, saw what was happening, training watered down, women on ships and I thought, this isn't the Navy I joined anymore and that tells me my time has come

As a Senior Rate I discovered I was good at leadership and management, spent my termination grant on a management diploma at Guzz College (whilst the others were doing LD lorry driving and brickying (just in case)) and haven't looked back - I can honestly say I wouldn't change a thing

In 'the old days' you initially signed on for 9 years. If you then signed on for either 14 or 22, you got 2 weeks signing on leave buckshee! Fortunately I was warned about this and so signed on for 14 (thanks for the leave!) then later on for 22 (thanks for the leave again)!

In regard to the original post, a guy I know is just coming up to the 47 year point.

Hasn't Nina been in since Nelson was a lad?

Sumo

War Hero
In 'the old days' you initially signed on for 9 years. If you then signed on for either 14 or 22, you got 2 weeks signing on leave buckshee! Fortunately I was warned about this and so signed on for 14 (thanks for the leave!) then later on for 22 (thanks for the leave again)!

In regard to the original post, a guy I know is just coming up to the 47 year point.

Ditto on the free holiday, I thought @Ninja_Stoker was his powder monkey, early Stoker

12 years if you joined as an apprentice. Automatic right to get another 10 years :) - no signing on leave though:(

Signed on for 9 when I reached 18, 2 weeks leave ta muchly, signed on for 22 when I needed LSAP for my first house ourchase, another bout of re-engaging leave ;)

you were a tiff, suck it up, your first 5 years (at least) was a big holiday:p
But thinking about it. I did some resettlement training before deciding to sign on for my next 10.
So therefore I got paid time off anyway :D......... Including the 5 day course in the UJC (3 of us from Amazon CPO's Mess on the same course - interesting!!)

I was forced to take my re-engagement leave twice, when I joined boats, the coxswain said the reggies had used the wrong codes, therefore as for as he was concerned I had never had my re-engagement leave?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I understand that your first contract for the royal navy is 20 years but how easy is it to stay on for longer. Is it the case of as long as you want to stay they will give you a new contract or will they say that you have to leave. Is it easy to stay until you are 60 if you want to.
It isn't, it is 12 years initially.

If you pass for leading rate during the initial contract, it is extended to 20.

I'm 57 & have just signed a 3 year contract to 60, so it is possible but only if you continue to meet the eligibility requirements and have the specific skills required for the posts available. I initially joined, intending to serve about 5 years...in 1981.

Once you crack the first 20, there's no guarantee of employment beyond that so you may well find yourself having to change roles and undergo further pass/fail training courses.

In my case, I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time but many of my colleagues were less fortunate and found themselves looking for a job at the age of 55, some 'only' aged 40 and it can be a daunting prospect.

I'm 57 & have just signed a 3 year contract to 60, so it is possible but only if you continue to meet the eligibility requirements and have the specific skills required for the posts available. I initially joined, intending to serve about 5 years...in 1981.

Once you crack the first 20, there's no guarantee of employment beyond that so you may well find yourself having to change roles and undergo further pass/fail training courses.

In my case, I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time but many of my colleagues were less fortunate and found themselves looking for a job at the age of 55, some 'only' aged 40 and it can be a daunting prospect.
Job at 60 uumm doorman, toll both Tamar Bridge (there may be if he toll booths) option may be limited.

Thanks for the clarification on the initial contact length. So aslong as you meet the standards for the role you most likely will be offered a place or offered a place in another role of you are not required for that exact role. It still sucks that your employment isn't secure until you can retire even if you can still do the job.

It still sucks that your employment isn't secure until you can retire even if you can still do the job.
Hardly. Recent info here was that the average time served is six years or less. Many reasons for leaving but family separation features high on the list.

Not forgetting that certain roles can extend to age 60 when not so long ago 22yrs/Age 40 was the usual Time Expiry date for ratings.

Still Sucks? Horlix!

Just add that you may not have noticed but the concept of 'Jobs for life' evaporated many years ago.

"Secure Employment" ?? I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear from you of any going which provide a career package with similar benefits to those offered by the services.

1547188476969.png

Last edited:
There are some industries that offer secure employment, as long as they don't downsize, outsource or you screw up, the water supply and waste industry is one, hope this helps?

Latest Threads