How is the British military going to be divided if Scotland becomes independent

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by bacon28, Sep 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How is Scotland's independence going to effect the military especially the Navy,for example will they get the new type 45 and 26 vessal's and what about the F-35b how many will they get and will they be paying?...any one know.

• Like Like x 1
  2. You're assuming it's going to happen.

3. Chances are that even if the vote to become independent wins that the conditions will be that Scotland takes their portion of the UKs debt along with numerous other conditions...

In all likelihood it is going to be all academic

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

4. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

It simply couldn't work in that manner. A ship is just that, but it needs a crew, who need to be recruited and trained, that requires a recruitment organisation, a training organisation, training and recruiting establishments. There's a whole lot more to consider but you see my point, you can't just salami slice the organisation and donate parts to Scotland.

I've no real idea how it could/would be managed but I suspect the most likely outcome is some form of agreement that the RN continues to provide homeland Defence?

5. Here is quite an interesting blog giving one guys wet dream of what independence would mean for 'Scotlands Navy'.

http://newscottishnavy.blogspot.co.uk/

Total outer space stuff but people are obviously thinking deeply bout it.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

6. thing is i don't know the GDP of scotland but how much revenue can a country of three million people generate,when for example a n F35 is i believe in the region of 30 million quid,and as for IF it will happen personally i hope so we cannot have this every 25 year's IMHO

7. Don't worry, ain't going to happen.

8. I got half way through and gave up as my blood preasure is rising,in other word's WE are going to pay.

9. Well if it happens type 26s will still be way out.
    One interesting fact is that I read an article about how perhaps Scotland is going to have to foot the bill to relocate Trident. I dont see why Scotland would want any F35's primary role is flying off carriers. Scotland is not going to have a carrier. How many Euro fighters they take on the other hand.

10. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

11. good piece,but another fair question is who would be the primary threat the RN? if not who ......if no-one what is the point at all of a scot's defence force,why don't they just pay westminster and keep the status quo...as for the thought of scots marines and F35's ect surely just fantasy.....

12. Secession, surely? It's not an occupied territory; this is like Kent deciding to go it alone :p

• Like Like x 2
  13. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

Actually 5.295 million in 2011 census.

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

From a recruiting perspective, there's three ways the UK Armed Forces could go if Scotland devolves militarily:

1. Stop recruiting Scottish Nationals
    2. Continue recruiting Scottish Nationals in the same manner we recruit Irish Nationals
    3. Impose the same 5 year mandatory UK (Wales/England/N.Ireland?) residency requirement as that which currently applies to Commonwealth Citizens.

Me? I favour the latter.

Now. ^_^

15. Excellent point UA. Which is why I prefer the term Separatists. Plus the fact it drives the "Nationalists" nuts!

16. Meh.

It would appear we still have a long way to go with our evangelical mission dahn saff. Still, if it wasn't a challenge it wouldn't be fun . . .

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Talking of separatism, I still like the way those in the Isle Of Wight refer to the UK as "North Island".

• Like Like x 1
  18. And pray whats wrong with that?????

19. ANGELA MERKAL goes up to immigration after landing at CHARLES De GAULLE airport........NATIONALITY, said the official "GERMAN " she replied........"OOCUPATION ", "No just here for a holiday. "

20. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Secession, Independance, whatever. If the Scottish decide that they no longer wish to be a part of the United Kingdom, so be it. They are the ones making the decision so they leave the table with what they stand up in. We, the rest of the UK, do not owe them anything. As an independant secessionist nation they must make their own way. If on the other hand the vote becomes a United Kingdom vote, where we all get our say then, if it is agreed they can leave, a share out may be a possiblity.

• Like Like x 1