How improve your chances of joining the Royal Navy - quicker than the rest.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ninja_Stoker, Oct 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Due to long waiting times to join, as anticipated, a lot of candidates find they are unable to take-up the offer of an entry date when it finally lands on the mat or eligible for the offer of a short-notice cancellation entry date.

This next term, over 180 candidates offered an entry date, weren't able to take-up the offer of service. This last Friday, a guy who had just passed selection for the Royal Marines, could have started training a week monday, but was ineligible as he hadn't completed his online security clearance application, last May.

The "header tank" of potential entrants is starting to empty, with one in three applicants either unable or unwilling to join when offered - hence the reason for over 7,000 applicants receiving a phone call from "Naval Recruiting" enquiring about your individual circumstances. People understandably find their circumstances change - relationships, children, civilian jobs, police involvement, medical conditions etc - if in doubt about continued eligibility, ask your AFCO, don't wait to be told after you've been offered an entry date.

To make sure you are top of the list:

Ensure everything remains "in date" if the following elements of selection expire - they need to be renewed. If they aren't - contact your AFCO:

Recruiting Test - valid 3 years

Medical & eye test - valid 12 months if first taken under age 18, over age 30 or if you have needed to visit your GP or hospital.

PJFT - Must be taken within 12 months of entry date. Fitness - keep yourself fit, those joining unable to complete the RN Fitness Test or Swimming test will be discharged within the first week - a hell of a waste after a long wait.

Security Clearance - 12 months validity once granted. If you've passed all elements of selection & have not completed the online security clearance form (or paper form, pre-March 11) contact your careers adviser.

Potential Royal Navy Course (PRNC/RPC/RNAC)- must be completed within 6 months of entry date for all joiners Jan 12 onwards, or repeated.

Contact details - if you have changed your mobile phone number, email address, home telephone number or home address - tell your AFCO.

CHECK your passport is valid!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. Wise words NS.

If in doubt about completing the Security Clearance, talk to your local AFCO Staff.
    Also, a criminal conviction during the wait to join may seriously affect your chances of getting in - and we will find out.....

3. If you don't pass the PJFT, swim test or both at the PRNC you have to wait at least 3 months for another go. You could also lose your start date for Raleigh so keep fit, 3hrs a week fitness is not that hard really.

4. If you are over 18 how long is the PJ medical valid for ?

5. Ninja_Stoker

For those aged between 18 and 30 when they take the (pre joining) medical examination, it remains valid until your 30th birthday - assuming your medical status has not changed - ie: no visits to the GP or A&E, no change in the number of bits'n'bobs you had at the medical.

6. So once you turn 30 it has to be taken again ? I only ask because i done mine last year in sept then turned 30 in nov and have not been told i need to do it again yet ? Thanks

7. I turn 30 in February and have been told I will need to re-do mine then but I have a date already. Your CA might be waiting untill you get a date before sending you off for another one just in case you get fed up of waiting and decide to halt your application. They do cost some money to do so that maybe why, but you are best off ringing your CA and asking. Most of my stuff ran out of date ages ago and it wasn't till I had a date that my CA started putting me through them again.

8. Ninja_Stoker

Spot on.

Aircraft Handlers have a wait in excess of 4 years (similar to sea specs) so the logic is to conduct a medical to ensure there are no obvious snags, rather than wait 4 years, only to be knocked back at medical.

As the medicals cost about £100 a pop, & 34% of applicants knock-back the job offer at present, there's no point booking another medical until the job is available & the applicant accepts the job offer.