How important is the money?

Navylark

Badgeman
Just wondering what the consensus is?

For my part - "something that is free has no value..." so the pay is important. I get fed up hearing the PSIs trottng out some sort of party line that says "not to rely on the money" but then the management can't understand why the troops feel like saying..."then don't rely on us turning up?!"

Even if the pay side is largely irrelevant to most typical RNRs, a quarter of a day's pay worth nothing compared to civvie jobs, it has been earnt so should be forthcoming with no arguments and endless cockups and excuses. If nothing else people rack up so much in expenses that they often don't see for months.

The RN and COMMARES should take note this is part of the retention and recruitment issue or are we expected to see the RNR like being a Special Constable?

Pierre_Argh

Lantern Swinger
I whole-heartedly agree... whilst we're not subject to employment law, I believe the MoD tries to follow it's principles, one of which is summarised as "a fair day's pay for a fair days work on time".

I have had RNR pay delayed until next month on more than one ocassion. This wouldn't be tolerated elsewhere, so why should a Reservist have to put up with it? I'm sure not everyone can treat the pay we earn from ORT or SA as "pocket money", and it is arrogant and presumptious to think so.

Chunky_Monkey

Midshipman
Yes, agree with what is being said here. Must admit if I did not get paid for this then I would still do it because (most of the time) I enjoy it, but I probably wouldn't do it as often if I wasn't getting paid. However I guess the same could not be said for the students etc who join as money is an issue for them.

I would miss my bounty though I have to say !

I have heard regarding pay delays that there is only one person in CENTURION who processes the pay for RNR and if he/she is off then there is no cover, so our pay gets delayed.

But yes, you are right it would not be tollerated in a civvie organsation (and neither would the "technology" we have be either for that matter....)

Chunky_Monkey said:
I have heard regarding pay delays that there is only one person in CENTURION who processes the pay for RNR and if he/she is off then there is no cover, so our pay gets delayed.
Surely not, even taking off the FTRS folks who, I believe, get paid at the end of the month, so presumably by the RN paymeisters, there must still be over 3000 people to be paid by the one person. Seems a very big run on the 15th for one poor soul.

GCYZ

Lantern Swinger
Reservist-Monkey said:
Chunky_Monkey said:
Surely not, even taking off the FTRS folks who, I believe, get paid at the end of the month, so presumably by the RN paymeisters, there must still be over 3000 people to be paid by the one person. Seems a very big run on the 15th for one poor soul.
Agree that one person dealing with all our pay seems very light. I thought the reason we where paid in the middle of the month was because it was a relatively slack time. Standing by to be corrected!

sinbad

Lantern Swinger
All civy jobs are hourly paid and you get paid what you work !

What other organisation would use 1/4 days ? and pay you accordingly. with the RNR it would/ could be easier to work out if it was hourly. The man in the street would also know exactly how much he was going to get paid.

Chunky_Monkey

Midshipman
I'm resonably sure it is true to be honest - this is the MOD/RN we are talking about remember !

Would be nice if it wasn't true, I agree.

I don't know how the exact payroll process works but 3000 to process over a period of four weeks is not that much, works out at 150 a day average and that is assuming all 3000 members of the RNR have earned something that month.

GCYZ said:
Reservist-Monkey said:
Chunky_Monkey said:
Agree that one person dealing with all our pay seems very light. I thought the reason we where paid in the middle of the month was because it was a relatively slack time. Standing by to be corrected!

Pierre_Argh

Lantern Swinger
Sinbad says
All civy jobs are hourly paid and you get paid what you work !
which isn't quite true, the Forces don't have the monopoly on the salary you know? (but that's not relevant right now!)

sinbad

Lantern Swinger
Bonjour Pierre -
explain what minimum hourly wage/ rate is 4 then. (in the real world)......... some people in the RNR depend on supplementing their own wages with extra earning from the RNR
ui don't remenber quoting anyone had a monopoly on any salaries !

trehorn

War Hero
I must admit that the RNR pay has pulled me out of the mire on more than one occasion and whilst i do not keep as close an eye on my payslip as some, it does p*ss you off when the money you are entitled to doesnt materialise.
Has anyone else here previously recieved a payslip showing £0.00??? there are people who left the RNR months ago who still get payslips sent through!
i've been in over five years and only found out in December that all those travelling (even passengers) should get a 442 enabling them to be paid for the extra travel, food etc.

Bring in pay related work thats what i say!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Important work in tackling future risks restarts at Sellafield MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sellafield Ltd takes important first steps to prepare for phased restart of highest priority work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Important information for British nationals departing India MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Important Information Regarding COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus important update on IPO services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Important information MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Important information for British Nationals departing Argentina MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces protected from vexatious claims in important step MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK-Africa Investment Summit 2020: an important year for UK-Rwanda relations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK-Africe Investment Summit 2020: an important year for UK-Rwanda relations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS What is the UK-Africa investment summit and why is it important? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Renew your tax credits - it's too important to forget MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Charity Commission reports on inquiry into Oxfam GB: “No charity is more important than the people it serves or the mission it pursues” MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: IMPORTANT - CICA Online Application Service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Local greenspaces important for children of all ages and backgrounds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Liberia: Important lessons for today's peacekeeping agenda MoD News 0
C Problems with my application and are references important. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
cobra_wasp97 Just came out of the recruiting office, forgot to ask two most important questions... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil Telegraph: "Why It Is More Important Than Ever To Invest In Defence Of Democracy" MoD News 0
alfred_the_great Important - NEM consultation: the future of your employment Current Affairs 9
Blackrat Important Newbie Info Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
R Important Raleigh question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Mulder Important Decision to make.... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
2_deck_dash Some important lifestyle choices. Diamond Lil's 42
deano_navy IMPORTANT FORCES QUESTION! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
M Important Passport Question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
M How important is BMI? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 59
D Leave for a wedding/important event Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S quite an important question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
BoxKickerSubs IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR USERS OF JANE'S MILITARY WEBSITE & DVD The Quarterdeck 4
defenceheadquarters Armed Forces Memorial unveiling: Important ticket news Current Affairs 2
L ***IMPORTANT INFO*** HEADLEY COURT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
sgtpepperband Very Important Update.... Please read The Gash Barge 15
left_handed_sailor Important question for the Iranian survivors Current Affairs 108
B important passport question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
K Air Engineering technician? important questions? Please help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
D A brief but important career Current Affairs 6
MoD_RSS Regulator updates guidance on Value for Money metrics MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK calls for global action to protect vital money transfers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity operating in high-risk areas ‘reckless’ with charity’s money MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Sellafield bus contract will improve service and save money MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Student Money Week 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulator publishes value for money annex to its 2019 Global Accounts MoD News 0
soleil Refinery 29: "Money Diary - A Submariner On £43k In Her Last Week On Shore For Months" Submariners 17
MoD_RSS More than 100,00 civil money claims issued online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bankruptcy restrictions for gambler who squandered friend’s money MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DAO 04/19 Update to Managing Public Money Annexes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Money sender fined record £7.8 million in money laundering crackdown MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Criminals to face fresh crackdown in fight against dirty money MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New rules to better protect renters' money MoD News 0