How hard is it to become a pilot?

So I've just started the process of joining i have a date for my psychometric and was just wondering how hard and difficult it is to first become an officer and then a pilot? For example what times should i aim for on the fitness test, what questions will i be asked at the admiralty interview? And last whats the flight apptitude test like? sorry for asking so many questions thanks

So I've just started the process of joining i have a date for my psychometric and was just wondering how hard and difficult it is to first become an officer and then a pilot? For example what times should i aim for on the fitness test, what questions will i be asked at the admiralty interview? And last whats the flight apptitude test like? sorry for asking so many questions thanks
fm.jpg You'll be fine. You could train a monkey to do it..;) Use the search function. Im sure its been covered before.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The RAF reckon they get one pilot for every 60,000 enquirers on average. About 10% of applicants pass flying aptitude, 60% AIB & the initial aviation medical standards (after the AFCO medical &-FATs) are very stringent with a further 50% ish pass rate - any history of asthma, for example forget it.

Fitness-wise, you need to pass the fitness test, which for male pilots is a 2.4km run in under 11 mins 09'secs.

So....all in all, completely doable with the right attitude, intellectual capacity, aptitude, fitness, academic attainment and leadership potentual.

Good luck.

You have the makings of an excellent pilot then. And what with Your grammar and use of English You'll go far. FSL would not be out of reach...:)
With all that is entailed in becoming an officer and then pilot training all the OP can worry about is his fitness!!!! Hahahaha, thats the easy bit!!!!!!

Chef Pilots have a special synbiotic relationship with the F.A.A.
The Wafoos let them and their grippos/tarts climb over the aircraft in harbour.
The Chef Pilots ensure that the wafus are kept supplied with coffee biscuits and other goodies. :)

Funny way to pose that question.

How hard is it to join the RN? Not that hard, with a bit of focus and preparation most people could join if they so wished.

Okay, how hard is it join as an officer? You'll probably need to put in some serious prep now, score high on the recruiting test and impress enough at the SIFT so you can get to the AIB, where 50% will inevitably fail to pass. So all in, quite a bit harder but perfectly achievable with the right stuff.

Pilot then? Well Ninja set it out pretty plainly; pass the initial selection elements, score very highly at AIB, score highly on FATs and hope you don't fail at any point on some medical technicality (All the wile competing with the boatload of others who want to be a pilot). I don't imagine there's a harder path to go down in the RN. Saying all that, there are pilots (and chef pilots) so it's not impossible.

There are various threads about AIB and FATs on here brimming with advice, get stuck in and there's no reason you couldn't pass the tests to come.

Just checking, when you said "first become an officer and then a pilot?", you understand your role will be finalised before you begin training as an officer at BRNC? (whether that be your first choice of pilot or a fall back)