How frequently do I get to come home from HMS Raleigh?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by fenderct, Dec 19, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a question that's been on my mind that I couldn't get an answer too, thanks :)

2. Fender, I have to wonder if you are making the correct choice in applying to the RN, you want to know how often you will get deployed and if you get time at home with family and friends, now you are asking how often you get home from Raleigh.

I am sure some kind soul will be along to give you an answer on your latest question, I would, but I am not up to scratch as it has been 26 years since I was at Raleigh, but back then, unless a major leave period (Christmas, Easter or Summer Leave) fell in between your starting and passing out dates, you did not get home at all.

3. I can understand that it may give that impression by asking these sorts of questions, but by no means am I worried about the thought of leaving for a long period of time, these are just mainly questions that the parents have asked that I'm trying to relay back to them. They respect my decision for me wanting to join the Royal Navy and seem to be proud of me coming this far, so the least I feel that I can do is give them some reassurance that I'm still going to see them and be here to an extent. They are aware that I am leaving for long periods of time, and are curious about time that I get back home. I cannot seem to find any answers on the RN website for things like this, so I was wondering if this forum would be able to shed any light. Again, I respect that it may give the impression that I don't want to go, but trust me, I do ;) I just like knowing how things work and where I'm gonna be and when.

Regards

Fender

4. In that case fender, my apologies for doubting your career choice, and a Bravo Zulu (Naval term for well done) for the consideration you are showing your parents

5. Haha its not a problem ;) and thank you

Regards

Fender

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

All service personnel get six weeks paid leave a year. This includes trainees.

During the ten weeks Initial Naval Training there are no scheduled weekends during which you can travel home, but regardless of the week of training, if one of the leave blocks falls within those ten weeks then you will take leave, then return to complete training.

For example, Raleigh broke for leave yesterday. All those in training, even those who only joined a week or two ago, will be on Christmas leave until 05 Jan. Likewise for those in training over Easter and in August.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  7. Ahhh thank you, appreciated. :)

Regards

Fender

8. The staff answer is "just once."

With a full suitcase.

9. Some people at Raleigh get to go home every bloody night....................................Lucky fkin instructors:D

10. Im only here due to a quirk of the "latest posts" sidebar. Imagine my disappointment....

upload_2014-12-23_11-8-47.png

• Funny Funny x 2