How far past basic fitness requirements should I aim for?

Sam J

OK so I'm comfortable with the basic fitness requirements. However how far past these requirements will I be expected to go during training? How far is your longest run? Is it something you warm up to or are you thrown in the deep end?

I've never been a fast runner however I'm more than capable of doing 8k.
Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
You should really aim to be as fit as is practicable, beyond the standard for entry. The RN website states your targets to aim for and your threshold for entry.

The fitter you are, the easier your transition to joining the trained strength.

There's no such thing as being "too fit". A 3 mile run is probably your longest distance and if you can manage that averaging 7 minute miles, you are doing OK. To achieve it, you should ideally train beyond that distance about every other week.

No matter how fit you are, someone will be fitter in your intake, rest assured.

I'm joining on 9th July and because of such a close date I'm not doing a PRNC, will I be disadvantaged because the others in my class will have already completed 2.4k on a track and done swim tests?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I'm joining on 9th July and because of such a close date I'm not doing a PRNC, will I be disadvantaged because the others in my class will have already completed 2.4k on a track and done swim tests?
Only if you can't do the 2,4k and swim test. You'd be surprised how many get sent home from Raleigh because they fail those, even after having done PRNC.

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
OK so I'm comfortable with the basic fitness requirements. However how far past these requirements will I be expected to go during training? How far is your longest run? Is it something you warm up to or are you thrown in the deep end?

I've never been a fast runner however I'm more than capable of doing 8k.
Thanks
As other folk have alluded to, as well as passing the minimum standard, the DS will be watching you for effort - how much of it are you putting in?

There's a school of thought that says it's better to barely pass your joining fitness test, blowing out of your hoop, and then put in 120% effort in every PT lesson, to show improvement throughout the course, than it is to come in at the front of the pack barely having broken sweat.

I guess the bottom line is put 120% effort in to all phys. What you'll be asked to do at Raleigh ain't SF selection, but the DS will want to see max effort - and you can carry that across to any training course you do until you collect your pension.

LateToTheParty

Lantern Swinger
No matter how fit you are, make sure you are blowing out at the end of every session, believe me imf is harder than it sounds. If you fail the RNFT on day 2 you will get a teir one warning and there's no more training towards it in the syllibus then you run it again in week5 you fail it again you better stand by cause it's a tier two minimum. As for the swim if you fail it on the Friday you are back every evening after work to try again each time you fail and they don't think you are capable you will get a warning 3=discharge

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS PM Letter to veterans of the Far East campaign: 15 August 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First far north “blood bike” named MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Far-right terror group proscribed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Order to proscribe far-right terrorist group comes into force MoD News 0
MoD_RSS One year on from ‘Rosewell review’: What have we learnt so far? MoD News 0
vauxhall FAR, AFPS, EDP ---- Finance & Pensions 0
T The Recruitment Process - my experience so far... (4 months since applying) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Speech: Putin’s sinister threats and lies extend far beyond his own country: article by Boris Johnson MoD News 0
jesse Great Books in my far from humble opinion The Book Club 6
W Looking to Join RNR but nearest establishment is rather far away Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
D Hunting Records - Far East WW2 History 5
F In a far off land...... The Gash Barge 9
J A new book about a Naval Wife's memoirs 'tween wars in the Far East now on Kindle. The Book Club 4
soleil Guardian: "Royal Navy Airpower Offers A Far Cheaper Option Overseas Than The RAF" Current Affairs 5
soleil Decision To Bet Future On Carriers Could Be A Gamble Too Far Current Affairs 17
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp The J_D/Brother story so far. Diamond Lil's 15
soleil "Salty Sailors Far From Home Roar Their Disapproval ......." The Fleet 2
Stirling Bone question of the week.......so far. Diamond Lil's 9
BFC_69 Who's new and how far down the application line are you? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 835
digger84 My career so far..... The Quarterdeck 13
NotmeChief Do tv take their pranks too far? Diamond Lil's 1
Polycell Hal Far 1963-64 The Fleet Air Arm 0
D Too Far To Payday :( Finance & Pensions 6
P An extra 14 days, is it two weeks too far? Current Affairs 40
mikh Bean Counting Gone Too Far Current Affairs 31
sgtpepperband A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... Diamond Lil's 5
F Birmingham Charity Party with 95% single women so far! Charity 0
B WHAT A WEEK SO FAR The Quarterdeck 9
seafruit how far can you go? The Fleet Air Arm 20
creddly How far is this political correctness going to go? The Gash Barge 19
D What do You do When They Move The Goal Posts to Far?? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 14
Oil_Slick It's a quagmire if you go that far and try to take over Iraq Current Affairs 13
beltfedwombat Independence for Cornwall - A step too far? Current Affairs 0
The_Caretaker (Lets tell a Story) SO FAR Diamond Lil's 4
Polycell Ronnies Bar Hal Far History 12
snapdragon Success! So far... The Fleet 7
Skunkmiester World cup so far The Quarterdeck 23
R TMU for past bout of depression, what are my chances? Joining the Royal Navy 11
MoD_RSS UK Government sets out way forward on the legacy of the past in Northern Ireland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Nurse numbers increase by 8,570 in the past year MoD News 0
slim What have you swapped in the past? Diamond Lil's 13
soleil Portsmouth News: "18 Amazing Royal Navy Photos From Portsmouth's Past" History 0
B Joining the Royal Navy with past mental health issues Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
MoD_RSS Sales of veterinary antibiotics halved over the past four years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Powering Past Coal: working together to combat climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Teacher workload cut by five hours a week over past three years MoD News 0
I Acne in the past but all gone. Will this stop me from joining the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
K I’ve just past my aptitude test and interview for the RN AET Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS Press release: Criminal exploitation and ‘county lines’: learn from past mistakes, report finds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Criminal exploitation and ‘county lines’: learn from past mistakes, report finds MoD News 0