How far past basic fitness requirements should I aim for?

OK so I'm comfortable with the basic fitness requirements. However how far past these requirements will I be expected to go during training? How far is your longest run? Is it something you warm up to or are you thrown in the deep end?

I've never been a fast runner however I'm more than capable of doing 8k.
Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
You should really aim to be as fit as is practicable, beyond the standard for entry. The RN website states your targets to aim for and your threshold for entry.

The fitter you are, the easier your transition to joining the trained strength.

There's no such thing as being "too fit". A 3 mile run is probably your longest distance and if you can manage that averaging 7 minute miles, you are doing OK. To achieve it, you should ideally train beyond that distance about every other week.

No matter how fit you are, someone will be fitter in your intake, rest assured.

I'm joining on 9th July and because of such a close date I'm not doing a PRNC, will I be disadvantaged because the others in my class will have already completed 2.4k on a track and done swim tests?

I'm joining on 9th July and because of such a close date I'm not doing a PRNC, will I be disadvantaged because the others in my class will have already completed 2.4k on a track and done swim tests?
Only if you can't do the 2,4k and swim test. You'd be surprised how many get sent home from Raleigh because they fail those, even after having done PRNC.

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
OK so I'm comfortable with the basic fitness requirements. However how far past these requirements will I be expected to go during training? How far is your longest run? Is it something you warm up to or are you thrown in the deep end?

I've never been a fast runner however I'm more than capable of doing 8k.
Thanks
As other folk have alluded to, as well as passing the minimum standard, the DS will be watching you for effort - how much of it are you putting in?

There's a school of thought that says it's better to barely pass your joining fitness test, blowing out of your hoop, and then put in 120% effort in every PT lesson, to show improvement throughout the course, than it is to come in at the front of the pack barely having broken sweat.

I guess the bottom line is put 120% effort in to all phys. What you'll be asked to do at Raleigh ain't SF selection, but the DS will want to see max effort - and you can carry that across to any training course you do until you collect your pension.

No matter how fit you are, make sure you are blowing out at the end of every session, believe me imf is harder than it sounds. If you fail the RNFT on day 2 you will get a teir one warning and there's no more training towards it in the syllibus then you run it again in week5 you fail it again you better stand by cause it's a tier two minimum. As for the swim if you fail it on the Friday you are back every evening after work to try again each time you fail and they don't think you are capable you will get a warning 3=discharge