How employable are ex-Mine Clearance Divers?

Discussion in 'The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs' started by gymbuddy, Apr 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As far as I am aware, if a MCD wanted to move into a civilian job as a commercial diver they would need a Wet Bell top up course and an offshore survival course in order to do so. They could then work towards saturation diving if they wanted to.

How likely are ex-MCD’s to find a job after their service?

2. Standby for Froggers and Spids life stories and mega-buck earnings!!

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The potential is certainly there to undergo additional training as a commercial diver.

The issue is whether the individual wishes to and generally the longer the individual serves in the RN, the higher the rate achieved and the less they conduct "hands on" (or "head wet") diving, the more supervisory/managerial the role.

With regard "how likely" an ex-MCD is likely to find a job depends entirely on what second career they wish to pursue. Most Matelots, whatever the branch find work within about 3-6 months of leaving the service.

Earnings potential for MCDs is good - if you want to be a commercial diver and are prepared to spend the money to qualify.

4. I heard that it can be very hard to ‘get your foot in the door’ as a commercial diver, however do you think an ex-MCD with the qualifications would find it easier then say a person with just the qualifications to become a commercial diver. With such an amazing and eccentric career as an MCD, do you think employability in general would also increase due to standing out. The reason why I am asking this is because I am considering a career as a MCD and being able to find a career afterwards if I wanted to would be important. Thank you

5. Well here we go. Having just bought my 14th house.........

I'll keep it short(ish) either way I'm gonna get shit. Define MCD. MCDO as in officer or MCD lad (which we rarely call ourselves, mainly a officer thing). As a en ex lad you CAN do pretty well. Yes you're right you need:

Top up £2500
    BOSIET £900
    Good to have-DMT £800
    3.1u £2500
    3.2u £2500
    Mixed gas £13,000-£18,000

That's just for starters.

Shame you are thinking about leaving before you have even joined though.

If you're joining as an officer (and this isn't a dig) I'd forget a career outside. They want people that have actually done some diving. Your CV and logs will be heavily scrutinised when applying for civvy positions. The problem you have as an officer is you ar a pot noodle supervisor and rarely dive. You then by natural progression end up going PWO and dive even less. I think there maybe one ex MCDO that made it but he had a diving career before joining. I will srtand corrected Spidiver???

6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I love people planning their second careers before they've even got through the gate at Raleigh.

• Like Like x 1
  7. It is like any walk of life. It is who you know. Simple. Me personally I never mention I am an CD, if possible. I prefer to get dived on my own merit, not the merit of a collective. Certainly dont walk out in xxxx years and think the likes of SS7 and Technip will be waiting for you to put your mirror and hair gel down. (thought I would get that in to save the other tards a job).

8. I am applying to be a regular clearance diver and I certainly will go in there with an attitude to stay in; however I also like to have options with what I could potentially do. Thank you

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Damn, foiled. =-( ..................

• Like Like x 1
  10. GB

If you haven't yet taken the RT, there is some useful info here:

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/joining-u...cruiting-test-psychometric-test-examples.html

Also bear in mind that divers have to pass the Pre-Joining Fitness Test (2.4 km on a treadmill) in a time of no more than 10 minutes 30.

11. Thank you for the link and my CV fitness needs to be much better. I can run 1.5 miles in around 10 minutes currently.

12. Will everyone please stop basing their f************** life around the 1.5 mile run. Boils my p**

• Like Like x 2
  13. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Divers; nearly as modest as pilots.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Would you say that there is a current demand for commercial divers and how well would an ex-diver in your opinion deal with employment in the industry? Thank you

16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Every office needs someone to make the brews, so go for it... :thumbleft:

17. Whatever the current demand is right now will not affect you in 10+ years time so there is no need to worry, unless of course you plan on scrapping becoming an CD to go straight into commercial diving.

18. Two times half it's original length. Oh sorry thought you were asking how long a piece of string is?

19. Nearly. But I do avoid the old "I used to be a......"

20. Yes, I do understand that. However, I want to have all potential future options. If I did do 5 years and wanted to get out, then would there be the employment there and would I stand a good position in finding work. Thank you

• Like Like x 1