How do you tell what vessel a shipmate belongs to?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by The_Chief_Wizzum, Oct 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just had a wee titter to my self in another thread and thought it should be a thread all of its own.

Ahh Revenge, you could always tell somone who served on that fine vessel. When tucking in their shirt (civvy or otherwise) they would drop their trollies to their knees before sorting out the shirt and pulling back up their trousers. To a man, I have successfully identified these creatures years after they have left Revenge - try it!

Any body got any other stange IDs for other vessels?
  2. Cap Tally :thumright:
  3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Whatever it says on their S.241... :twisted: :wink:
  4. Ah, you see, thats fine if you are amongst JRs, who are wearing milkbottle tops, but what about SRs or ashore in civvies?
  5. sgtpepperband

Hmm, well if he's wearing Ron Hill's and carrying an empty Tupperwear container then he is definitely a SR - if he's holding hands with his oppo, then he's a Bomber Queen! :lol:
  6. As I asked in the other thread, are you talking about port crew or starboard??
  7. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

(Despite my avatar, I'm not a boat person.) Is it? Last time I looked, submariners' cap tallies weren't very helpful in identifying which boat.
  8. Contributor Mode

As the Navy now has so few people they all know each by first name and have stopped using official numbers they just about know who is where.

If they really are at a loss to know which of the half dozen vessels in Commission they just say "Oi Fred where are you now". It is that easy.

9. I can speak on behalf of the Port Crew and say after 25 years or so I still carry out this routine to the letter. :thumright:
  10. My routine but never been on a bomber ,S+T boat only :dwarf:
  11. Seadog, you're right. Cap tallies won't help they all say HM Submarines!

12. Always said you Nuke Pukes were strange! :dwarf:
  13. In the days when we had more than six boats, I found that the following was a good way of finding out. " What boat are you on mate?" If the reply was a boat that was tied up near you ask if they had any good films to swop.
  14. You can tell by the smell what class they are on :biggrin:
  15. sgtpepperband

SSBN: Sorry, I got confused... you mentioned "class" on a submainers' thread?! :lol:
  16. Mmmm LG280 mixed with diesel,no better aftershafters known to man.
  17. Go down to the hoolie bar and shout all you lot on the boat on 2 berth you're wanted back on board and then see who leaves - easy in it.