How do you speed up muscle recovery?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by TheRust, Jun 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys/gals

Just wonderin how you speed up muscle recovery? What foods you eat??
    Ive got some of that creatine stuff in the house but does it work??

2. Hello mate,
    Still not recovered from Tuesday then? :lol:

What your no doubt experiencing is otherwise known as DOMS. The time it takes to recover completely from this depends on a lot of things, but it usually depends on the amount of "constructive damage done".
    In other words, the amount you have actually overloaded your muscles to, will usually determine how long it takes to repair.
    It's really hard to say.
    (If the pain is excessive, you may have done some serious damage, and need to be looked at)
    However, (you actually know me), and I've done some absolute killer workouts in my time that have left me with DOMS for about a week.
    The workout we did on Tuesday was probably unlike anything you have done before, and I find that whenever one does something different than what he or she is accustomed to, thats when the DOMS usually kick in for a while. You'll find that this wont happen as often, (or as severe), once you get used to the routines.
    As far as speeding up the recovery process; taking creatine is unlikely to help. In fact there is'nt much you can do other than rest, and take in plenty of food + water (esp carbs, and protein) with a little more emphasis on carbs.
    Make sure you keep frequently stretching the effected area too.
  3. Tuesdays killed my triceps/shoulder mate haha, thanks alot for the advice, ill have a rest and not put any great pressure on my body for the next few days. Ill see you on Tuesday. Thanks again.
  4. G'day mate.

Yes the RN Stonehouse surgeon said that to me in 1961, and I listened to him.

At the moment I'm back in getting another three weeks with the hospital working on it, for about the 150th time. after having over twenty ops, but there was nothing like the two No. 9's and come back tomorrow cure of the old Navy SBA's. Make sure that you get a hurt certificate Mate, as you may need it well down the track.

regards pingbosun.

Ps Remember it only will hurt when you laugh. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

PPS I tried to add an attachment, but OHHHH the pain lol. Istuffed it up.
  5. Time to dust off the old red suit and earn a few quid then for the grandkids Xmas then pingbosun.
  6. I was thinking more along the lines of "During the War" :)
  7. Simple really, best thing to do is rest the muscle group that you have strained, nothing you do or take will be more effective than resting. By resting i dont mean stop using them altogether, try some stretches, but dont over due it, dont strain them anymore than they already are.

If you are training, exercise different muscle groups on different days of the week, that way you can keep training and your muscles have time to repair and grow, whey protein and creatine are helpful, as are foods high in carbs and protein, getting a good workout plan from a professional will help alot.
  8. What is DOMS
    :D :D :D

Actually that's one of my favourite phots on the site PB :)
  10. Delayed Onset Muscular Soreness mate
  11. stop wanking - well thats what my DO said when i gave him a stand-down chit