How do you deal with it?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by nutters, Sep 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all....

Hope all are well. Now, please dont take offence, but i get alot of 'banter' about joining the navy. You know the type "oh sailor boy", and "in the navy etc", and the best "you've got something on the bottom of your shoe mate".

I know it is banter, but my army mates dont get the same shit, so i would like some tips on how to deal with it.....oh and physical violence is not really an option! :(

2. grow some
  3. Just tell em there mum was a good shag but there sister was better,that should do the trick 8) You are joining a very exclusive club young man jepp thats right the RN,dont you dare ferkin give in to stick from some knumb nut ,ok
  4. I find the best way is to be an adult and just ignore it. If people taking the piss out of you really bothers you that much, seek help.
  5. Been there done that captainobvious,but some times it comes to the point where you just have to take back, 8)
  6. hi,

i do actually just take it, it does'nt bother me too much. I would just like some tips to have a really good quality 'come back'!
  7. What does that one refer too!?!?
  8. Stand up.

Lift up one leg as though to look at the sole of your shoe... think about it sailor!!lol.
  9. Go on the banter offensive, When they start to say something at you,
    Draw back slightly, put your hand over your mouth and nose ( gently) and say quite loudly. EEGH, your breath !!

No need to say anything else just watch them reel back, works every time! :wink:
  10. Ahaha, the same things happen to me (normally from my dad and my work mates)

I just laugh it off, i find it quite funny.

My dad also started singing this to me.
    Its actually quite funny.

11. Develop something commonly known in the western world as a 'sense of humour'!
  12. Let them take the piss all they like. But you should remember what kind of opportunity you're about to undertake. You will have a lot of fun, learn a lot of things, make a lot of friends, and see a lot of the world.
    These people who are taking the piss? What are they doing for the next few years? Think about that when they say; I get the piss taken out of me more than most as I already work in a very male orientated environment, and learning to cope with banter is a part of life mate, don't worry about it. Personally not a lot gets to me, but I usually reply by going along with the joke and fulfilling their stereotypes by, I don't know, ''don't knock it til you've tried'', or... ''yea I can't wait'', or ''once I see how it's done, I'll come back and show you''. I don't know, those are just quick thoughts but don't take it too seriously, banter is banter and you should honestly just see the funny side.
  13. Warn them that if they're not careful you'll rape them. Wouldn't say it to women though, they might not see the funny side.
  14. hahahaha no i do honeslt find it funny, but id quite like a witty comback. cheers everyone
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The old adage doth state that if one doesn't posses a sense of humour, one should desist joining the senior service.

If you can laugh at yourself (like my missus does at me whenever I don't say anything funny), then rest assured it's a bigger grin laughing at others, particularly when they hurt themselves.
  16. Chin 'em you big girl.
  17. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

You could always try the "over the top" tactic employed by some senior members like thingy. You sound like your half way there. :roll:
  18. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Grab hold of the biggest b*****D kiss him on the lips, if you are quick enough you'll be able to work to tongue in as well, then say "Thanks for last night, sorry I've made you walk strangly" and walk away.
  19. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I loved the banter, but then again I was a bootneck, being in the Navy was like having an older brother who was a special needs kid, someone you could prod and poke and steal their dinner money, but he was our special needs kid. Woe betide anyone else taking the p1ss out of him when we where about. Just tell them to fcuk off and discover soap then give them a swift headbutt followed by a good shoeing as they crumple to the floor.