How do you attach Shoulder Boards to a trop shirt?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by middie, Sep 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wondered if anyone could tell me how you're supposed to attach Midshipman's shoulder boards to a tropical shirt - first time I've had to do it and no other way to get the info. Any help greatly appreciated.
  2. You could PM Serjeantpepperband, the font of all knowledge on all matters Pusser.
  3. Shoulder board??? :roll:

4. If you are a good boy use superglue
    If not use velcro :wink:
  5. Harry Black Maskers
  6. They should be worn on the shirt with holes not on a shirt with epaulettes. Stick to the regular sliders until you have the proper gear or it will look botched.
  7. Don't the trop shirts have holes on the epaulettes to take the boards?

My memory could be going like.
  8. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

The new style Tropical Shirts have an Epaulette with holes in it.

Either do it yourself or get a tailor to do it - remove the Epaulets and just have the holes. Take off the small pin from the brass button on the top. Push through the top hole. Take the strings and thread through the bottom ones, loop one through the small brass eyelet at the top. Tie off with the other end.

You can do the same with the Epaulet on but it is awkard.
  9. Ask your Mum to do it for you.
  10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Use a stapler, it won't hurt much
  11. Damn - stole my answer!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Such a question from a future leader of men!!! Oh my!!! 8O
  12. Use a Hilti Gun it will hurt.
  13. Cross your stewards palms with beer tokens and they will attatch themselves. :p
  14. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Note to self, recommend new PLT for AIB. Task, attach shoulder boards to annoying 'new economy style' trop shirts. You have 15 minutes and a six foot plank.
  15. Beat me to it as well
  16. Are you saying you don't put the small pin back through the hole in the brass button once it is through the shirt? Can I ask why?
  17. NO! One just doesn't question a Gunnery man, just take it as gospel :wink:
  18. Have to say the tropical shirts you get from slops now with epaulettes on are a pain in the ass - takes a lot of persuasion for the tailor to remove them, and boards are bloody awkward to get onto them (it is possible but looks daft and they fall off very easily). In my day Officers had their own shirts - blah blah blah.....
  19. Not all the time...Tony Muggeridge had to borrow one of mine :wink:
  20. How did you know this guy was six foot???