HOW DO U CONTACT HOME WHEN AT SEA

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by kgladams, Jan 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HOW DO U CONTACT HOME WHEN AT SEA?

2. You use the SeaGull O'Gram - just pop down to the arse end and ask the Buffer he will help you out.

3. Most ships have e-mail facilities nowadays.

There is always the mail delivery/pick up by helicopter too.

4. lol

5. Not in full caps and not in text talk, as far as I'm aware!

6. ...well it USED to be by SLT ...ship's letter telegram :mrgreen: ...occasionally you could get a ship/shore telphone link if you were lucky.

7. If you join the submarine service and go V boats, then you don’t contact home whilst at sea.

8. When you go operational you get the Operational Welfare package which includes Paradigm cards. These are 'phone cards' that get credited with 10/20 minutes worth of phone calls every sunday. You then queue up to get onto the specific phones around the ship that can 'phone out' via sat coms.

9. these phones are poor though as there is a 2 second delay when you say something, and if you speak at the sametime it cuts off!

Email is good, the MCO will send/recieve daily. It is soooo much easier now.

10. Go back to the job centre and join the council !!
    geoff(ers) :???:

11. on my 1st deployment i did not call/write home for months - it is the reason you join up. a bit like the French foreign legion, but not as hard and you don't need to change your name. a bit more fun as well!!