Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

How do they do that? Fixed wing refuelling Helos

scouse

War Hero
Crewman rescued from cargo ship 320 nm West of Cork :thumright:

The 56th Rescue Squadron out of the 48th Fighter Wing at RAF Lakenheath, UK, put highly-trained pararescuemen, or PJs, on two HH-60G Pave Hawk helicopters to fly the significant distance to the vessel, medically attend to the injured man, and set out shortly after noon. With a range of just over 500 nautical miles, refueling was a must for this mission.

The 352nd Special Operations Group out of RAF Mildenhall offered up their 67th Special Operations Squadron's MC-130P Combat Shadow aerial refueler to refuel the helicopters given its specific capability to do so.

But this mission was so far out at sea, even the MC-130P would need refueling.

hc130.jpg

Pave Hawk and C-130

AAR for a chopper? It' done VERY carefully or the chopper will earn its name
again.

Notice how the C130s flaps are down, ie it is flying slowly and the chopper has its nose down, ie it's going fast, (for a chopper). That means the whole thing is a bit like a running goat f**k.

Seen it done with the yank Pave Lows. Mega impressive.

I used to hate doing HIFR, (Helicopter In Flight Refueling), from the back end of frigates and the like.

To attempt it with a FW like the Herc takes nerves of steel!!!!

If you look at the pic above closely you will see the refuel probe on the chopper and the fuel line have not made contact yet or have already disconnected.

Digressing, has any one seen/have pics of the F16 with it's nose in the back door of a Herc. Aircrew of the Herc ask the F16 pilot to come closer so he flies the nose right into the back of the Herc - now thats impressive.

If anyone has them can they post them. I did have them but they were deleted by mistake. :toilet:

Waspie said:
Seen it done with the yank Pave Lows. Mega impressive.

I used to hate doing HIFR, (Helicopter In Flight Refueling), from the back end of frigates and the like.

To attempt it with a FW like the Herc takes nerves of steel!!!!

If you look at the pic above closely you will see the refuel probe on the chopper and the fuel line have not made contact yet or have already disconnected.

Digressing, has any one seen/have pics of the F16 with it's nose in the back door of a Herc. Aircrew of the Herc ask the F16 pilot to come closer so he flies the nose right into the back of the Herc - now thats impressive.

If anyone has them can they post them. I did have them but they were deleted by mistake. :toilet:

F16 or do you mean [Eurofighter] Typhoon???

eurofighter.jpg

24th March 75 Tragic accident Victor and Bucc simulated in flight refuelling RIP :salut: - A Royal Air Force Handley Page Victor K1A, XH618, of 57 Squadron collided with a RAF Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer XV156 during a simulated refuelling. Buccaneer hit the Victor's tailplane causing the aircraft to crash into the sea 95 miles E of Sunderland, County Durham.[2]