How do marines

#1
Learn to climb them ropes the way they do? do they have alot of practise at it or is it must pick it up straight away thing.

Also do you have a couple of test tried on the tarzan or is it just done one on the day an see what you get?
 
#3
Yeah in there training an that and on the tarzan when they swing on it and go backwards and crawl across.

Just seems like something i wouldnt pick up on straight away so just woundering do they teach you thouroughly or just a sort off got to pick it up straight away.
 

instinct

Lantern Swinger
#4
Don't they do that in all the services? (even RAF!) I thought it was a basic part of PT. Can one of the old, bold and actualy clued up people tell me?
 

Ueshiba

Lantern Swinger
#5
Brummielad said:
Yeah in there training an that and on the tarzan when they swing on it and go backwards and crawl across.

Just seems like something i wouldnt pick up on straight away so just woundering do they teach you thouroughly or just a sort off got to pick it up straight away.
That sounds like a regain you are talking about. No, you don't need to be able to do it first off, you will be taught, and taught again, and you will practice, again and again and again over your Phase 1 training, and beyond.

They will look however for some upper body strength, and more importantly 'guts and determination' on your PRMC.
 

timex

Lantern Swinger
#6
You will be shown how to do everything at CTC, the PTI's will take great delight in showing you the full extent of RM training. Tarzan Assault is demo'd to you in slow time and then you can have your own shot at it....they even let you do it with no webbing or weapon ONCE!


shaun
 

wet_blobby

War Hero
Moderator
#7
You'll get lots of practice dont worry.

The nice PTI's will even let you test the water in the regain tank before you try one if your lucky.
 
#9
wet_blobby said:
You'll get lots of practice dont worry.

The nice PTI's will even let you test the water in the regain tank before you try one if your lucky.

If anybody shouts "You Jodrell Banker" they mean the other JB not you!!
 
#10
The special velcro gloves (Rope climbing, for the use of MK1) are also a good bit of kit, might have to buy your PTI a wet or two to get hold of a pair whilst still in training though.
NZB
 

alanbach

Lantern Swinger
#12
Don't they do PT in school anymore? I learned to shin up a rope when I was in grammar school. It was always part of our twice weekly PT routine.
 

Achmed

Lantern Swinger
#14
instinct said:
Don't they do that in all the services? (even RAF!) I thought it was a basic part of PT. Can one of the old, bold and actualy clued up people tell me?
The RAF PTIs will point at an assult course, and explain that its not the done thing in the RAF, unless you join the RAF Regt where you have to be SAS trained before they will look at you............so Rock Apes used to tell me :pukel:
 
#15
...Speaking of upper body strength.....press-ups.They don't get any better.Any tips for making it from on my knees to full body sorts please ?
 
#17
We're talking working on arms, not jaw you nugget. No problems there, being able to suck- start a leafbar.

....At least you had the decency to blush.
I'm not.
Go to PM.
 

montfish

Lantern Swinger
#18
keep practising. pressups are about core strength (see what i did there, aren't i clever?) as well as arms sholders and chest strength. do quality reps before qauntity, and slowly build up. i weighed about 8 stone piss wet through when i started training and put on about 2 stone in training (NONE of it fat btw)

Taloolah said:
...Speaking of upper body strength.....press-ups.They don't get any better.Any tips for making it from on my knees to full body sorts please ?
 

Greendeath

Lantern Swinger
#19
The rope climbing is all technique. The army use the stirrup method, but bootnecks grip the rope with their feet and their knees. Then you put one hand on top of the other and pull your self up.

I remember the first time I climbed the 30 foot ropes on the bottom field with fighting order and weapon. It was a culture shock, however, once you apply the correct technique it gets easier.

Cheers

GD
 

Ueshiba

Lantern Swinger
#20
Greendeath said:
The rope climbing is all technique. The army use the stirrup method, but bootnecks grip the rope with their feet and their knees. Then you put one hand on top of the other and pull your self up.

I remember the first time I climbed the 30 foot ropes on the bottom field with fighting order and weapon. It was a culture shock, however, once you apply the correct technique it gets easier.

Cheers

GD
That's it, all in the technique. Reckon I could still do it now too. And a 30 miler. In a taxi. ^_^;
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Land Ops 0
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0
W RMR 45

Similar threads

Latest Threads