Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I write to a soldier?

AlisonB2011

Midshipman
Hi all.

I don't really know where I should be posting this, so forgive me if it's the completely wrong place. :)

I've always wanted to write to a soldier; in particular, a serving soldier. I've spent ages searching the internet to try to find some information on how to write to a British soldier, but can't find anything which actually tells you how to. I know you need details - their name, address, where they're serving etc., but I just want to know whether it's possible to write to a soldier without actually personally knowing one.

Another thing - I'm under 18. Would this be a problem? It's just something I've always wanted to do and as I'm soon to begin my forces career I thought it would be an ideal time to actually do something about it and try to make it happen. I'd also love to be able to send care packages, but can't find any useful UK websites that allow you to do this; they all seem to be American.

Any info anyone could offer would really be appreciated.

Thanks!! :)

Address it as follows:

FAO
A Gwar Marine in afganistan
42 Commando RM
Bickliegh Barracks
Devon.

That way it will go to a lonely bootneck who doesn't get much mail. Enclose a photo so he knows who he's writing too.

Do NOT try Arrse, go on rear party (families link) they'll be kinder and more helpful

Last edited:

AlisonB2011

Midshipman
Thanks Topstop :L Just searched on there, nothing's come up. Is there a particular section of the forum dedicated to this kinda stuff??

Blobby, will it actually get delivered if I address it like that?

Waspie

War Hero
'How do I write to a soldier'?

And you post on a Naval site?

I know I'm aging but what have I missed?

C

cúnt

Alison

I sent you a message. I'm just writing on here so you know I'm not trying to bum you in private :)

soleil

War Hero
Alison

There is a bit of a problem with people sending packages out which aren't addressed to specific personnel. Because people are so very generous, the postal system at one point was overburdened as the care parcels were competing for space with parcels sent from families to their serving relatives and something had to give, which is why the MoD asks people to find other ways of showing that they care. Even organisations like Support our Soldiers can't send out unaddressed parcels:

Support Our Soldiers

With regard to writing to a soldier, there is a website called Forces Penpals, but I suspect that it leans more towards dating rather than penpals, although I may be wrong.

I can't help but wonder whether it might be best to put this idea on ice for a few months and then revisit it once you have settled in at your new place. You will need to focus on what you are doing and not be distracted and I'm not sure that you will have much time for writing letters or e-mails to soldiers, you know.

You may find that there is something at your new place to which you can contribute as part of a group, which might make more sense. Where you are going to probably has links to serving personnel when you think about it and that might be a suitable opening for you and the others in your group. You might be able to get together and send a parcel to a student who has left and is now serving; he/she could then split up what is in the parcel among colleagues.

AlisonB2011

Midshipman
Apologies :) I suppose I meant any serviceman/woman, not just soldiers.. so that could include Navy. My bad. :slow:

& Blobby: umm probably not. But you never know round here :laughing2:

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Oh God. Please no. I refer to post #6.

By the way, you see how she wants to write to soldiers? She knows class this one.

C

cúnt

Oh God. Please no. I refer to post #6.

By the way, you see how she wants to write to soldiers? She knows class this one.

You appear to be mixed-up with your numbers again mate. Post 6 is mine.

...............................................................................................................

...............................................................................................................

AIB Star Chamber - "And what examples can you give of leading others?"

AlisonB - "Mmmm, now lets see :scratch:. . . . :idea: I wrote those letters to the soldier boys :evil3:

... and led them all down the garden path; does that count :confused:?"

:wink:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Grenfell Tower safety works: write-up and Q&A from 27 July online event MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA secures loan write-off from payday lender MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Loneliness Minister: Write letters to people isolating at home MoD News 2
MoD_RSS NHS to benefit from £13.4 billion debt write-off MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ambassador to Turkmenistan supports the right to write MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Russian account of Salisbury is a re-write of Orwell’s 1984 MoD News 0
scouse Write ups by your DO Diamond Lil's 39
Ahoy89 Appeal? What to write?! Health & Fitness 10
trelawney126 C126. Whose going to Write off What Current Affairs 13
Rumrat What Gloria didn't write, so I did. Diamond Lil's 3
R12_CV It's a write off... Motoring 11
B They just Don't Write Them Like This Anymore Miscellaneous 0
soleil Milford M'cury: Airmen to write Rule Book for New Destroyers The Fleet Air Arm 4
royalbumbaclod Write a novel of some sort? The Corps 3
M CO of HM Ship given go ahead to write BLOG on Sea Life. The Quarterdeck 4
dustyjack Children Write About the Sea The Gash Barge 5
N Comic Cuts/Write Ups Diamond Lil's 28
flynavy Write Ups! Diamond Lil's 36
MoD_RSS HOW A CENTURY OLD SPOON LED TO THE MILITARY BURIAL OF AN ESSEX SOLDIER WHO DIED IN THE GREAT WAR MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Burial Service Held on the Western Front for a Soldier of the Essex Regiment and his Comrade MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Can you help trace the family of a missing World War 2 soldier? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Can you help trace the family of a missing World War 2 soldier? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Sherwood Forester and an unknown soldier buried 100 years after their deaths in the great war MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Cornish soldier killed during World War 1 is finally laid to rest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Tomorrow’s technology to protect the soldier of today MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: World war one Durham light infantry soldier finally given military burial a century after his death MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Final resting place of a Yorkshire born WW2 soldier killed in the 'Bridge too... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: World War 1 soldier who was killed in the Battle of the Somme finally laid to... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD statement following death of soldier in Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Dismounted soldier research requirements MoD News 2
MoD_RSS Press release: Multi-million pound funding available for soldier research MoD News 0
Stirlin Former York's Regiment soldier facebook comments goes viral. Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS News story: Injured soldier speaks about importance of Covenant support MoD News 0
justadrama soldier to sailor Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 58
C help with info on ww1 soldier History 4
D US soldier kills three... Current Affairs 2
soleil Grimsby T'graph: "Soldier Who Dodged Death Twice Passes On Words Of Wisdom" The Corps 0
soleil ITV: "Soldier Injured In Afghanistan On Poppy Appeal Posters" Charity 2
Topstop Soldier Stabbed in Paris Current Affairs 2
T Mystery of 200-year-old British soldier found in the dunes of Holland Current Affairs 11
MoD_RSS News story: Soldier breaks up bomb-making network MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Soldier braved bullets for shot comrade MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Gallantry award for soldier who rescued wounded comrade MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Gallantry award for quick-thinking soldier involved in violent ambush MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Oldest gallantry award for stand-out soldier MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Honour for TA soldier who took command after officers were shot MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Queen's Gallantry Medal for courageous bomb disposal soldier MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Private risked life to save fellow soldier MoD News 0
trelawney126 Posthumous VC for Soldier Current Affairs 6
TeddyT Soldier has baby in Afghanistan Current Affairs 59