How do I do ......? Problems using the site software?

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by Ghost_Rider, Feb 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you are having problems whilst you are using the site, or if you want to know how to do something different but don't know how, this is the place to ask!

Feel free to ask anything - the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Ghostie

2. What does the big ? symbol mean on the forum page?

3. le_jaq,

I do not see any ? symbol on the forum page. Can you provide any more information? Is it in the forum index page? If so, where (roughly) on the page does it appear (top let/top right etc)

Ghost

4. Ghost,

In the RMR/RNR forum the top topic Drill Nights v Training Weekends has the large ? in a yellow circle next to it.

I'm quite prepared to look silly here, but would rather do that for a minute than remain in ignorance for the rest of my life!

Le_Jaq

5. Ah! I now understand what you mean!!

When you create a new topic, one of the options you have available is to create an icon next to the topic's title. The author (partimematelot) obviously decided to use the question mark icon!

Try it for yourself - look in the forum index and click on New Post at the top left - this is what you will see...

[​IMG]

Ghostie

6. Cheers mate, I'll give it a go.

7. Silly question but - how do I send (rather than create) a Private Message? When I create a PM (like as in ARRSE), and press the "Post" button (which, I assume is the equivalent of "Send"), the message goes into my Outbox, where it has remained for the last 2 days.

Assuming that "Outbox" means 'waiting to be sent', how the hell does it ... er.... actually get sent (ie and, I assume, then moved to the Sentbox)?!

Lots of assumptions there - sorry.

8. It's not a silly question. There is a rational explanation!

The behaviour you are describing is entirely normal. When you send your message, it gets held in your outbox until the user who it was addressed to opens it. At that point, it then moves into your Sent box. You will therefore know when the message has been delivered (perhaps a more appropriate name for the boxes would be Pending (Outbox) and Delivered (Sent Box).

The reason it has been sat in your outbox for 2 days, therefore, is that whoever you have sent the pm to has not opened it yet.

Ghostie

9. Oh, I see. :oops: Thank you!

10. Just noticed the following on the Index page:

User Info
    Welcome abacus

Inbox New: 1
    My Account
    Logout

Not sure why it is still showing that I have a new message. I've re-read the few that I have had on this site to see if it clears but so far no joy.

Not particularly important in the grand scheme of things but thought I would point it out anyway.

11. Does it go away if you navigate to the index page and press "F5"?

Ghostie

12. Afraid not - not even for ctrl+F5

13. How bizarre... Does the popup appear each time you load a page, telling you that you have a new message? Have you cleared your inbox completely?

Ghost

14. Could you explain how I change the email address that is listed on my personal details please? I want to change it as my current ISP is about to change.

15. WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY DOESTHE SITE LIST ME AS A MIDSHIPMAN????? I CAN'T FIND ANYWHERE TO CHANGE IT. IT JUST MADE ME A MIDDY ALL ON ITS OWN. I WORK FOR A LIVING NOW AND I DID WHEN I WAS WORKING ON PUSSERS GREY WAR CANOES. SO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO CHANGE IT TO CHIEF STOKER. I AM INSULTED BEING A MIDDY.

16. No problem!

Click on the link marked "My Account" - you'll find it on the top toolbar of every page, and on the left of the main page.

Find the entry marked "My profile information" on the left hand side and click on that link.

You can then change the email address displayed in your profile...

In addition, if you wish to change the email address the account is registered to, send a PM to either Bad CO or Good CO.

Ghostie

17. Please tell me this is a WAH???

Ok, I'll bite anyway ;)

The "rank" shown in your profile is not a reflection of your serving (or ex-) status - it is a reflection of your posting history on this site! At specified points, your "rank" is changed to show how experienced a user you are with the site :D

The quote shows the progression through the ranks on RumratioN - the more posts, the more you advanced towards a War Hero status...

Ghostie

PS Please use lower case - ALL CAPS MEANS YOU ARE SHOUTING!

18. Can you change the colours on the page as after "You are here" the ": Home › Forums › General" is in a really light useless colour.

Most appreciated

19. Thanks for pointing this out MarkDip. The problem is known about, but unfortunately it is not as simple to solve as it might appear. The same link colours are used across the site, where they do not cause a problem, so finding a colour to change to which fits the site theme but does not affect a larger portion of the site is not quite as easy.

The bosses are aware of the issue, and it is on the list of things to be addressed. Hopefully, this will be resolved soon.

Ghost

20. Dear Uncle Ghostie....... want to put my own avatar on, but says the image is to big, anything I can do to shrink it & upload maybe? :oops: