How do I copyright a CD

Discussion in 'Bloody Computers' started by Chaz, Nov 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently putting together some photos that my step-daughter wants to send to her father back in UK. My question is this: how can I make sure he can't copy/paste/burn/print these photos off? I only want him to view them from the CD & nothing else. I've got Nero but can't work out how to achieve this, it may not even be possible? Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. If you make a conventional write-protected CD, it is a fairly easy to 'rip' it with freely available softeare (that's why Hollywood and Sony keep getting their films and music nicked).

One thing you could do would be to put all your pictures in to a .pdf document, and protect the document with this:

It prevents printscreen and drag-and-drop copy methods. The link takes you to a 15 day free trial.

If you were to put the file on to an SD card with a read-only switch on it, you could also then break the switch itself, or superglue the switch in the read-only position.

Basically, it's a Royal pain in the arse, and you may ultimately decide not send her pictures of your mangled genitals.
  3. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

If you took the photographs you are automatically the copyright owner as the author/ creator which is meaningless I know because what you want to do is apply some sort of rights management to them. Taking people to court for copyright infringement is an expensive and often fruitless venture.

There are loads of ways to do this but almost without exception a determined person can extract them, the best way to protect them is to present them in a limited resolution suitable for viewing but not worth extracting for any other purpose. At work we embed all our imagery. lessons etc in an Adobe Portfolio and password protect them but the are fairly easily extracted however they are also registered with a copyrighter, expensive! Probably the easiest way to do it is to embed them in a powerpoint presentation and set it up like a slide show (put an automatic time advanc on the whole show) then convert it to Flash format (pretty much the only way to extract then is to take low resolution screen grabs)

I Spring is an easy way to do the conversion and the free version converts in low resolution, it's available here: I Spring The resulting flash movie will play in any browser and should be small enough to e-mail or stick on a CD.
  4. Chaz

I'm not very good on this sort of thing myself, but it looks as if the Nero Software guys have got an online chat facility so that you can speak to them live:

There is a forum where you can leave questions as well.
  5. If they are on a CD and viewable then they will be copyable. I have posted some pics online before that I didn't want others to pinch, and use a program called 'visualiser photo resize' (it is free for non-commercial use and I am sure google will find you a download link). As the name suggests it allows you to easily resize large batches of photos, but, more usefully in your case you can add a watermark or annotation to each photo with something like (C) yourname 2010. You can put it at the edge (where it could be cropped off) or, more intrusively, slap bang in the middle.

May be of some use?
  6. Guys & Gals, many thanks for the input, its greatly appreciated. I'll have a go and try and sort something. Will let you know how I do, or not as the case may be! Thanks again.
  7. Chaz,

Maybe you have your very good reasons; but if your step-daughter really wants to send some photos to her father it seems that you are being a bit secret-squirell-sh about 'I dont want him to copy/ .... etc'.

You don't have to tell us why not - But perhaps have a good chat with her and if that is her intention, too, then go with the Chief Tiff's suggestion.

I recently found such a site's protected slide show, some great pictures which apparently could't be grabbed - but a 'Screen Clip' image would have circumvented that and done the business instead.

Incidentally, the UK Daily Telegraph has some great, but un-copy-able, images but they can always be screen-clipped, too.

PS I have even taken Digital Camera snapshots of my PC screens and the results were quite acceptable so bear that in mind, too.
  8. Bob, can see exactly where your coming from, to cut a not so long story short we've 'narrowed down' the photo's the my step-daughter wanted to send and will just burn them 'normally' onto a disc.

Thanks again all.
  9. Thanks for that update Chaz :thumbright:
  10. Same as you copyright anything - put the goods along with an owners declaration into an envelope and send it back to yourself by registered mail. Leave it sealed when you receive it.
  11. with photos especially there is absolutely no way on earth to copy-proof them, regardless of how much protection you put on a disk someone can ALWAYS just take a screen grab and you're stuffed!
  12. There is way of building pictures from frames, that makes grabbing them a bit tedious, not sure if you can do that when saving too CD.

You can also put them on a website for people to see, and remove the command which stops copy/paste, but will not stop the print screen.
  13. If images are loaded in to a PDF and protected by the software I linked-to in my first response then right-click, drag-drop and PrtSc are removed.

That said, it's more convenient to not send ******* images in the first place.
  14. You are JJ and I claim whatever prize was being offered. 8)