Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did you phone home from Raleigh?

I'm doing some research for a book. In the 80s and 90s, those days before mobile phones, were recruits allowed to phone home and if so how? Was there payphones? Was there a set time you could do so or was it forbidden until shore leave was approved?

Greatly appreciate some help on this matter.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I joined 1981. We had just shifted from black and white to colour, so fortunately the row of half a dozen bright red payphone kiosks could easily be seen at the head of a long and winding queue waiting to use them most evenings. A half hour wait was pretty much the norm.

If you spent too long on the phone the bloke next in the queue would let you know about it. I preferred the more low key approach: Tap, tap... "Hurry up lofty, I'm waiting to vandalise this phonebox". Always worked a treat.

Upon arrival at Raleigh, you were given a postcard to send home to let your folks know you were still alive..."Dear Mum, I'm being held captive, please send Red Cross parcel to the following address...."

Big O D

Midshipman
As ninja says, 1974 at Ganges small amount of phone bloody great queue of nozzers phoning mum telling them how tough it was but would be easier to stay alive if they sent some money.

Sumo

War Hero
when I joined my parents did not have a phone, which was normal for alot of recruits, so queues for the red boxes at Ganges main gate were never an issue, there was also a phone in the rec room at the top of long covered way, I used that one once, when mother wrote me to ask me to call her friends house, but who spends time on there phone to mum?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
There were phones at the top of Long Covered Way at Ganges, I remember queueing for them to phone home.

Sumo

War Hero
There were phones at the top of Long Covered Way at Ganges, I remember queueing for them to phone home.
As I never used them, no need to remember them, only remember main gate as that is about where liberty men mustered? My have that wrong as well?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
As I never used them, no need to remember them, only remember main gate as that is about where liberty men mustered? My have that wrong as well?
We mustered at the Main Gate for liberty boats so you got that right :)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Had a bar in the bowling alley as far as I recall but wasn't allowed to use it as I was 16 yrs old. Think a couple of our 18+ may have done.

Sumo

War Hero
Had a bar in the bowling alley as far as I recall but wasn't allowed to use it as I was 16 yrs old. Think a couple of our 18+ may have done.
Uumm same age but didn't seem to have any trouble using it??? About a year bafter you I think Sept 74

Queued up at the phone box :(

There was a baby tiff in the box one day and a queue of about 10 people, all of a sudden the phone rang, he'd got his mum to ring him back!! within seconds he was dragged out of the box and filled in.

Sumo

War Hero
Back in the day when operators from different areas did not know phone box numbers people used to arrange reverse call charges, when the phone wrung in the phone box and it was answered;), the operator would ask are you willing to accept the charges? Not that I ever did this just something I heard?:rolleyes:

repoman

War Hero
Joined up in 71, and the first time I rang home was in 76 to check with mum if her next door neighbours daughter was pregnant.... end result said neighbour moved up to Helensburg shortly thereafter and I have a son born 31st August 1976 at the Vale of Leven in the land of porridge wogs. And we are still together, all lovey dovey eh?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K PJFT I did mine before my interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
P Where did we go? The Quarterdeck 9
MoD_RSS Inquiry leads to improved governance at community centre which trustees “did not recognise as being a charity” MoD News 0
A What did I do wrong? The Gash Barge 1
MoD_RSS If your charity last did an annual return before 12 November 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Our tech sector has already attracted more foreign investment this year than it did for the whole of 2018: article by Nicky Morgan MoD News 0
B FMG Football Team - Where did we play? Bases / Shore Est 4
vauxhall Did you know ... Finance & Pensions 0
A How long did it take Capita to review your medical info? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
LateToTheParty HMS Conqueror - Did anyone on here serve on her? Submariners 8
A What marks did you get for PT? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
skyvet Did I miss something? Diamond Lil's 8
SONAR-BENDER What did Santa bring you? Diamond Lil's 48
S How did my dad get home? History 4
Scouse_Scribes Journey - you mean how I did something Diamond Lil's 3
C When did? Miscellaneous 6
soleil Navy News: "Did You Serve In Watery Wessex?" The Fleet Air Arm 11
scouse It did happen The Fleet Air Arm 0
slim Where did the term draft come from? The Quarterdeck 12
J How did minesweepers operate in WW1 The Fleet 9
alfred_the_great What did the FAA do for us in WW2? The Fleet Air Arm 13
P HMS Artful - did no one go ? Submariners 0
angry_mac Gratuity, what did you spaf yours on? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 31
MaiBelle Why oh why did I buy a white car? Motoring 43
cooksmate I bet they did that on porpoise. Diamond Lil's 22
trelawney126 Did Boots do Double Points for Mrs Hulme Diamond Lil's 3
soleil Guide And Gazette: "Did You Serve At Shore Base HMS Collingwood?" Bases / Shore Est 4
Sumo What did you do to waste a good week end Diamond Lil's 41
stan_the_man We did it better in the old days didn't we???? Diamond Lil's 35
Sumo I wish I did not do that Diamond Lil's 21
soleil Pompey News: "‘It Was An Awful Loss – But What We Did Freed Falklands’ History 0
RabC How Did I Guess? Diamond Lil's 4
Sharkey Where did you get that hat Diamond Lil's 0
Rumrat What Gloria didn't write, so I did. Diamond Lil's 3
L Don't worry about tomorrow, you already did that yesterday Miscellaneous 4
Rodgersthecabinboy Anyone know if they did go all the way ? Diamond Lil's 2
C Did anyone give Tetley's a Bell??? Social & Reunions 19
R when did we lose our Reserve shoulder flashes? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 37
stan_the_man The day I really did shit myself Diamond Lil's 11
Illuminati Did anyone hear about that new Muslim strip joint that just opened?? Diamond Lil's 0
F Did you know ... Miscellaneous 23
WreckerL It's them thar aliens wot did it Diamond Lil's 2
soleil Pompey News: "What Heroic Feat Did A Petty Officer Perform?" History 23
The_Caretaker Did u Hear Land Ops 1
The_Caretaker Did u Hear Blue Jokes 1
The_Caretaker What did... Miscellaneous 1
The_Caretaker Paddy...........Did you have a bit to drink last night? Miscellaneous 0
A How did you break your arm? Miscellaneous 0
yamyamdabber Did you just call me a ballbag! Diamond Lil's 10
trelawney126 How Much did you pay for your Xmas Tree £900? Current Affairs 6