how did it start for you ?

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
I lived by the sea, near Rosyth, so always saw the ships coming in and out but in terms of books etc I was always made up when Victor comic had a naval story featured on the front page. Commando magazine probabay had a lot to do with it as well

Always wanted to be in the services. What swung it for, me in my first job I worked with a former Royal Marine. 2 years later at the tender age of 17, skin as smooth as the proverbial.. I signed the dotted line and went to Deal Depot Royal Marines. Sailed round the world 3 times, flew round it once. Made radioactive!! I glow in the dark1 Kicked arse a couple of times! Got myself injured once, kept my head down after that!!!!

Then I went to Rhodesia (Zimbabwe, to those sprogs who don't know any better). Things started to go pearshaped , lost my savings etc. So I came home. Samethings started to happen here, now to old to go away again!

Still glad I became A ROYAL MARINE!!!

The_Caretaker

War Hero
Both greatgreat grandads in the Andrew
Both Grandads in the Andrew
Father ex Royal
Uncle ex Royal, sergeant on the cuacoa
3 more uncles in the andrew

Kirkmania

Badgeman
TV series Warship and Sailor. Plus Uncle who went to far East on Londonderry and came back with a lot of exotic tales
If you would ever like to revisit these great tv series that started your journey, then they are avialable to view on my dailymotion channel. I hope this helps.

KirkCrazy
Warship (1973-77)
Password: Navy

Season 1
Episode 1 Episode 2 Episode 3 Episode 4 Episode 5 Episode 6 Episode 7 Episode 8 Episode 9
Season 2
Episode 1 Episode 2 Episode 3 Episode 4 Episode 5 Episode 6 Episode 7 Episode 8 Episode 9 Episode 10
Season 3
Episode 1 Episode 2 Episode 3 Episode 4 Episode 5 Episode 6 Episode 7 Episode 8 Episode 9 Episode 10 Episode 11 Episode 12 Episode 13
Season 4
Episode 1

Sailor (1976)

Last edited:

Waspie

War Hero
If you would ever like to revisit these great tv series that started your journey, then they are avialable to view on Youtube. I hope this helps.

Warship (1973-1977)

Sailor (1976)
@Kirkmania, you must get the award for the restrictionist of the year!!!!

I haven't the patience to search back in the posts of yesteryear!!!!

Old Scribes

Midshipman
@Kirkmania, you must get the award for the restrictionist of the year!!!!

I haven't the patience to search back in the posts of yesteryear!!!!
Restrictionist or resurrectionist? For me - my ABC book had "D is for Destroyer" with an accompanying painting of a sleek grey vessel ploughing through the rough seas. No other kid had that at my school. I remain convinced that my parents switched the page in order to get rid of me at an early age. It worked - though I was most disappointed that the ships did not go "Whoop, whoop, whoop" as I expected!

The area that I come from, all the girls went into nursing, and all the boys went to sea. Started seasonal fishing when I was about 13. Then on to the trawler's full time when I left school. Then on to the mob.

Sumo

War Hero
Some school mates were in the sea cadets, they asked me to join, that gave me the start of my escape tunnel from Derby.

Chris P

War Hero
Recruiters came to the school, crabs (Hunters up the Radfan etc.) and pusser - saw the flight deck film and thought that looks exciting - school wasn't and jioned the wooden wedge head fraternity, never regretted it.