how did it start for you ?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by golden_rivet, Nov 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Am curious to know which story book gave you that first tantilising glimpse of the briny when you were a child - whose writing made you want to go down to the sea in ships. How were you first inspired on your chosen (even if later discarded) path ???????

2. sorry - that should be tantalise ...

3. No books, just lived by the sea.

4. Again, no books, just followed in the footsteps of me dad! Loved the sea.

5. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Nicholas Monserrat and CS Forrester did it for me...

6. No book enticed me either, just loads of photos of foreign ports (and lasies :wink: ) and many sea dits from my old man (now 85 years young).

Still regret leaving when I did :( sometimes...

7. Born with a caul over my head (fact), so I had to follow superstition. Truth is that the Royal Tournament and the Rememberance Festival at the Albert Hall had a big hand in it plus the fact you could leave school at 15 and join as a boy. Now that was a big incentive. I also greatly regret going DxP after 15 years. :cry:

8. Bump on the back of the head. Next thing I knew...

9. TV series Warship and Sailor. Plus Uncle who went to far East on Londonderry and came back with a lot of exotic tales

10. was the RAF that entised me to the forces but swearved them for the navy

11. Always wanted to join from about the age of 10 , had all the pamphlets from Gunner House in Newcastle , joined Raleigh in March 1971 , & have mostly been in Guzz ever since , left in 1995 , :?

12. No idea why I joined - Think it was my calling.... Walking around London one rainy day and ended up in the recruiting office - 4 months later I was ambling around Raleigh with some GI shouting at me!

13. Three elder brothers were in the mob an AB RP3...AB GA and FCREM...

three other elder brothers were pongos..L/CPL Coldstream Guards..CPL Coldstream Guards and PVT RCT....

14. No idea,juat always wanted to join the RN.The fact my dad was in the Army may have had something to do with the decision.

15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Prison or the grave...

Went out for a pint of milk and a newspaper for my Mum and got lost...

Went for a beer in the pub, got talking to this bloke called Andrew Miller, got a headache, and the next thing I remember was being masking-taped to a mess square table with everyone playing 'Freckles' around me...

:shock: :lol:

16. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Navy brat from birth to age 14 with a few years at the Royal Hospital School in Holbrook thrown in meant that my early childhood was RN to the core. Books by Montserrat, Reeman, Kent, CS Forester and Alistair Maclean also helped!

I went to university after leaving school with the intention of joining up as an engineer post-degree. However engagement / marriage got in the way of a successful RN career, so I took the part-time option with the RNR. As a kid I always wanted to be an engineer officer but as a reservist this path wasn't open so I stayed in Comms as a rating.

17. dont laugh, but swallows and amazons forever definately made some " click" for me, but I'm still a bit of a duffer

18. The lure of dusky maidens on faraway shores

19. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...Free Railcard

...Free Travel Warrants

...A chance to sail the seven seas and fight for Queen and Country

...And the meet interesting people - then kill them!

...A big free bag of uniform

...Three free square meals a day

[how times have changed!]

20. Been away somewhere nice?