Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How could they mess my sons Navy Career up !!! SO VERY SAD

My son started his recruitment journey last April 2016 at RN Careers office Guilford
From the word go he disclosed that he was colour blind but was told that was not an issue, he wanted to be a Marine Engineer and went through all the phases passing each section, at his medical with a Capita Doctor they identified through the eye testing that my son was CP4 this was in August 2016.
However this was overlooked at the Recruitment Center.

In December 2016 he attended HMS Collingwood for his weeks taster session and loved it, he was highly recommended by the instructors there to carry on in the enforces and was give his intake date to HMS Raleigh for 5th March 2017

In January 2017 he attended a final briefing with the recruitment PO at Guildford and was on a high and chomping to go.

The day finally came and we went to Reading to see him off to Plymouth, on archival at HMS Raleigh he knew that his lifes dream had started.

Monday came and went when he finally signed his contract then the dreaded happened, he was in a class on Tuesday 7th March 2017 when a PO came and got him, it was explained that they had noticed he was CP4 and that he needed to take a wire test which he did and failed, they labeled him CP5, straight away he was discharged on medical grounds, he asked why this could have happened and know one wanted to say, only 1 PO said it was the recruiters fault.

Approx 1 hour later he had packed his kit and was put outside the gate at the bus stop with a ticket and sent home, not even driven to the station.

My son is devastated his whole life was ripped from him on Tuesday 7th March 2017 because of a recruiters error this must be negligence.

He has waisted a whole year when they could have captured this back in August 2016, he has spent money on his kit which never got used, he has spent money on a GYM membership to get fit, now he has to start all over again, IT IS NOT FAIR TO DO THIS TO SOME ONE SO YOUNG AND RUIN A LIFE

Drakey

War Hero
CP4 is the accepted grade for ET(ME). Why did he have to carry out a Wire Test.

because of a recruiters error this must be negligence.

Oh and by the way, the recruitment staff in the AFCO have absolutely no control over any medical outcomes.

Seadog

War Hero
Although I can't give the Staff Answer, I do have some sympathy but: sending someone "so young" on an 11 month trip in and out a career cul-de-sac doesn't meet the requirements for ruining a life. A drunk driver who puts a third party in a wheelchair, sipping soup through a straw is ruining a life.

I'm CP4. I'm totally gash at the Ishihara test but I can pass the wire test (civvy doctor 5 years ago).

I seem to recall that there is guidance for the Ishihara test that requires it to be conducted in natural ( daylight ) light or lighting that simulates it.

Its not actually a ruined life. Though as a parent I can forgive Your dramatics. Have You/He considered the engineering path in the MN? A life at sea,and probably better prospects.

best they stick to this at ACPO In the Armed Forces, pressure remains on recruiting officers to meet recruiting target numbers. MoD must make it clear to the Services' recruiting organisations that pressure to meet recruiting targets should not lead recruiting staff to dilute standards or admit applicants who do not meet the mandatory minimum entry criteria

Drakey

War Hero
best they stick to this at ACPO In the Armed Forces, pressure remains on recruiting officers to meet recruiting target numbers. MoD must make it clear to the Services' recruiting organisations that pressure to meet recruiting targets should not lead recruiting staff to dilute standards or admit applicants who do not meet the mandatory minimum entry criteria

WOW.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The frustration is genuinely appreciated and whilst the apportion of blame immaterial, the medical standards for entry are applied by the contracted medical examiner.

It's also appreciated the current trend is to complain on social media for maximum impact rather than to the appropriate recruiting authority, but a written complaint would be formally investigated and hopefully prevent this sort of thing happening in future.

I'd be pretty hacked-off if it happened to my son too, so I genuinely do have every sympathy.

Unfortunately, if the colour perception standard is not met, there is no way forward but it is important that this incident is not repeated, whoever is at fault. Applicants should never get as far as joining HMS Raleigh before their medical suitability for service is determined. If ever they do, it's usually because of something deliberately withheld, not because incorrect medical screening was undertaken.

Let's hope your son is able to forge a successful career wherever life takes him.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thanks Ninja_Stoker
Rest assured, even Admirals sons and daughters get snarled up in the medical system and you can be assured they aren't backwards in coming forwards when criticising the selection process and the careers advisers processing the application.

Sumo

War Hero
Whats the wire test?

Edited
Found answer on an old thread which also gave CP1 to CP4 requirements

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Trainer Junior Rates Mess Images The Quarterdeck 31
J Adding to Sultan’s LH’s Mess Submariners 5
T Mess kit and No 1s? RFA 3
B Mess Fees The Fleet 100
O When is the white mess dress jacket worn? The Quarterdeck 16
P Mess undress The Quarterdeck 4
BARNEYRNSM Mess dress worn with greatcoat SCC and URNU 16
Cap-H junior rates mess/RFA RFA 11
S Daily Mail - redundancy mess up. Current Affairs 11
M Mess dress onesies club Hobbies & The Great Indoors 15
ulysses31 Mess Funds Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
alexissonice RNAC best mess Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 71
A HELP mess undress pickle!!!!!!!!!! Social & Reunions 7
digger84 Burns Night in the mess. The Quarterdeck 25
K Mess undress post leaving the RN Social & Reunions 68
J 31 mess Frobisher Div 1963 Social & Reunions 1
A Bulwark comms mess Social & Reunions 0
S A Pot Mess: Journals of a Royal Navy Cook by J A Parker The Book Club 0
soleil Sun: "Nuke Test That Says: Don’t Mess With The UK" Submariners 5
trelawney126 CinC to move into Chiefs and PO's Mess Accomodation The Quarterdeck 12
R Mess Dress Diamond Lil's 1
K Senior rates mess rules The Quarterdeck 13
FlagWagger S/R Mess Kit The Quarterdeck 3
D Jolly Roger in the Wardroom/Mess Submariners 1
Guzzler Mess Life The Quarterdeck 301
Fleet_Sprog HMS Cornwall WO & CPO mess final mess dinner. Social & Reunions 0
M Mess Ball Photographers Social & Reunions 0
D mess bill query Finance & Pensions 17
F MESS UNDRESS Social & Reunions 33
P Mess square pits. The Quarterdeck 50
S Mess Dress The Corps 1
RNFLUNKY In the mess today at standeasy... Diamond Lil's 18
A Mess Dress options The Quarterdeck 10
soleil Navy News: "Pot Mess Hits the Spot" The Quarterdeck 2
A Wings on Tropical Mess Kit The Fleet Air Arm 5
soleil HMS Tireless' JR Mess gives ill teenager honorary membership Submariners 7
sgtpepperband New 134-bed Mess at HMS Excellent, Whale Island Bases / Shore Est 3
I WWII Mess Roll History 6
S Question about mess undress Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Shakey 24 lesbian mess Diamond Lil's 39
Rincewind RN Mess kit for sale The Quarterdeck 3
C mess bills / uniform cost Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
L Wearing a kilt with Mess Kit... Social & Reunions 18
D Exchanging your travel warrent (dont mess it up) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
T HMS Southampton - Anyone here from the Chiefs Mess? Social & Reunions 0
golden_rivet put in a request to stop Jenny's Mess Diamond Lil's 32
A Buying No. 1s and Mess Dress Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 16
G Where can I buy Senior Rates Mess Undress The Quarterdeck 2
B SR Mess Undress Submariners 6
alhucoll Mess Deck Rules - You Know! Diamond Lil's 9