How can the Navy operate with 35% of PO(ET) missing. Should Industry be taxed for poaching Engineers

Hooly

Lantern Swinger
What do people think. I personally don't like it when people run down the RN all the time. Industry take a short cut and entice engineers out instead of training their own

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I would add to Dapper's comment that it shows how desparate things are getting, My word they'll be after getting Crabs to transfer next.

I would add to Dapper's comment that it shows how desparate things are getting, My word they'll be after getting Crabs to transfer next.

Bad enough trying the get them on board with their own squadrons.

If my time on JFH was anything to go by they all believe they would be entitled to at least a 2 rate promotion from what they are :mad:

grumpywurzel

Midshipman
The blame unfortunately lies squarely with the adults I am afraid. For years we were told that its tough shit, either deal with being shit on or leave. Several years ago we had the Grande Fromage from Sultan visit us on Bulwark for a "fact finding mission" to find out why engineers were leaving and after 10 mins he had enough of being told the truth, and came out with the classic "If you don't like it, you know where the door is". Great morale boosting effort for the young lads/ladies.

It's not industry poaching engineers, its the Navy not looking after the people they have.

slim

War Hero
I did 22 years in the Army lots of tours they were tough. The Navy is tough but I wouldn't want to do anything else I've done back to back tours crash drafted it's just how it is. I think there's to many wingers. I've seen people take 1 hour stand easys do three day weeks and still moan. I think there are a lot of soft weak senior rates that spread the rot

Well they are Wafus after all and not expected to do more than that without a clicky bed break;)

FunkyJunky

War Hero
should have done something about the problem 5+ years ago. Even then, it was still a problem

being an engineer in the Navy is weird. You are expected to manage a huge amount but only being a chief allows you to make a decision on your own. Which is turn, creates much more work for the Chiefs.

the work load is incredible.

D

Deleted 493

should have done something about the problem 5+ years ago. Even then, it was still a problem

being an engineer in the Navy is weird. You are expected to manage a huge amount but only being a chief allows you to make a decision on your own. Which is turn, creates much more work for the Chiefs.

the work load is incredible.

Really? I'd counter that with the reluctance in latter days of engineering ratings of any flavour to claim ownership of their kit, particularly when it goes wrong. Sure, we can blame complexity and the really, really poor quality of training (and trainers, in some cases) but the bottom line is ... you are engineers. your yearning to know how shit works, how you keep it working and how to fix it when it stops working are your drivers, not manking about shit kit, shit training and shit time off. The truth is the taxpayer wants to see value for money and (as has been said) hour long standeasies, standing Friday M&Ms and spending too much time relying on OEM support doesn't cover you in clover. I am not saying all engineers are like this ... some are fantastic ratings and officers who reach out for excellence and become champions of their speciality. But there have been too many in the past ten years coasting and blaming, instead of fixing and maintaining.

As a post script, I'd like to believe that Programme Faraday will fix this, but having seen what is on offer, I am unconvinced it will.

levers