Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

How can my son become an F35B AET?

And mine. Only commenting as that’s what they were referred to on 814.
Only ever heard ASW aircrew referred to as either, Sonar Operators or their nickname - 'pingers'. Never heard them referred to as Airborne TAS. Maybe a general service term for ASW aircrew but never in the FAA.

I have to admit, against my better judgement, to one of my adquals - ASW aircrewman - active only. (And not too good a one either). Much preferred pooping off missiles. It's all about the bang at the end!!!!!!:eek::D

Last edited:
I can't remember what the local hooch was called, says it all really :)
Yup, just remember the honking hangover.
Same when in Kuwait, cherries and photocopier fluid I think we were sinking at a house. I thought I was blind the next day. I think the expats called it ‘cyd’, or something.
Not bad for a dry country though.

It was rats though.

Only ever heard ASW aircrew referred to as either, Sonar Operators or their nickname - 'pingers'. Never heard them referred to as Airborne TAS. Maybe a general service term for ASW aircrew but never in the FAA.

I have to admit, against my better judgement, to one of my adquals - ASW aircrewman. (And not too good a one either). Much preferred pooping off missiles. It's all about the bang at the end!!!!!!:eek::D
Probably was a GS term, thinking of it. Or, maybe it was just what we thought of them. Anyway, I may have just overheard it and picked it up. Who knows??

Finished my phase 2 training at Cambridge in Jan 68 - spotted a County Class in WI with a draft available and promptly volunteered - as a very young JS . The whole class got the Fearless in dry dock in Guz - I got asked if I had a passport cos I was of to Port of Spain Trinidad - and the adventure began - talk about careful what you wish for - left freezing UK in January in my fake sheepskin coat and got some really weird looks at the other end

After pt 1 & 2 training for Stokers at Raleigh you were housed in Valiant block to await first sea draft , morning muster Chief Stoker sez ...''..JM(E) So and so pack your kit you are flying to Singapore tonight to join the Danae , have you got your passport ? '' '' no Chief , I left it at home '' '' Anyone with a passport here want this draft '' loads of hands shot up '' You were first Lofty , pack your kit '' . We were advised to always keep passport handy just in case there was a pier head jump like this one , kid who left his at home was pig sick he had missed out on Singers.

After pt 1 & 2 training for Stokers at Raleigh you were housed in Valiant block to await first sea draft , morning muster Chief Stoker sez ...''..JM(E) So and so pack your kit you are flying to Singapore tonight to join the Danae , have you got your passport ? '' '' no Chief , I left it at home '' '' Anyone with a passport here want this draft '' loads of hands shot up '' You were first Lofty , pack your kit '' . We were advised to always keep passport handy just in case there was a pier head jump like this one , kid who left his at home was pig sick he had missed out on Singers.
Same. First trip as a baby dabber. RPO read the drafts in Flint block (Dryad), then I was on crab airways to sunny singers two days later at the the tender age of 16.

Did a favour for Drafty when at Faslane, got told they would do me one back, so I asked for a 42 out of Rosyth early. got a 22 out of guzz, but it was early out of turn. Did them another favour when on the 22, asked for a 42 out of rosyth, preferably in refit or at least 6 months based in UK waters (was on the way back from the Gulf and intended to propose to the GF) got a 42, Liverpool, going into refit, perfect, planned to propose when I got home on leave, day before I am due to get home, SO calls me into the office, sorry Scribes Liverpool is cancelled, you have got the Glasgow, and er, well she is due a Gulf patrol!!!! Ended up proposing on the Flight Deck of the Glasgow on our return from the Gulf

Did a favour for Drafty when at Faslane, got told they would do me one back, so I asked for a 42 out of Rosyth early. got a 22 out of guzz, but it was early out of turn. Did them another favour when on the 22, asked for a 42 out of rosyth, preferably in refit or at least 6 months based in UK waters (was on the way back from the Gulf and intended to propose to the GF) got a 42, Liverpool, going into refit, perfect, planned to propose when I got home on leave, day before I am due to get home, SO calls me into the office, sorry Scribes Liverpool is cancelled, you have got the Glasgow, and er, well she is due a Gulf patrol!!!! Ended up proposing on the Flight Deck of the Glasgow on our return from the Gulf
See what happens when you volunteer :D ;)

That last bit sounds quite romantic! How many women can say that they have been proposed to on a Flight Deck!

It's something you would always remember.

Latest Threads