How can my son become an F35B AET?

Dusty70

War Hero
As it appears to be 'Dit On'. Here's mine.

Joined 819, (passive ASW Sea King squadron).
Joining routine. Senior Observer, (SOBS), asks me how I found 810 squadron. (810 - ASW training squadron).
I reply glibly, follow the A30, turn left at Redruth!!!!
SOBS, "No! I meant how was the course?"
Me - What course? I left 829 Friday. (Wasps, borne as a missile Aimer and navigator).
SOBS, blood vessels bursting. Your no effing good to me!!!! I need ASW aircrewmen!!
SOBS now phones Drafty.
Drafty, to SOBS. You asked for an aircrewman - I gave you one. You never specified an ASW aircrewman.

I remained at 819 for nearly two years as a non ASW aircrewman on a pinger squadron. (Was dicked to form up 819 SAR flight plus plus for me). No pinger and all the secondary role flying.
Was with you until last para - swahili is it ??

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
You two gonna stop trying to get us all feeling sorry for you?
Good grief - its normally hotel this, money that.
And now you are complaining!

Sheesh!:rolleyes:

;)
A hotel we got first time in Lisbon would have put Travelodge in the luxury bracket.

But it was round the corner from the Texas bar ;)

Alfacharlie

War Hero
A hotel we got first time in Lisbon would have put Travelodge in the luxury bracket.

But it was round the corner from the Texas bar ;)
Ahh, Lisbon.
Was ‘Springbok’ the local bev over there?? I can just remember a massive hangover whenever I went.

Waspie

War Hero
Was with you until last para - swahili is it ??
I remained at 819 for nearly two years as a non ASW (Not qualified to operate the sonar suite in an Anti Submarine Warfare role) aircrewman on a pinger (ASW or Anti Submarine) squadron. (Was 'dicked' (Chosen from a cast of one) to form up 819 SAR (Search and Rescue) flight, a plus plus (a win - win) for me). No pinger (anti submarine searching crap) and all the secondary, (cushy flying!!, mountain flying - navigating - winching - load lifting - display flying - photographic sorties), role flying.

Or in simpler terms, got paid lots for doing very little!!!

Hope this helps. In my defence, I was becoming stressed by the time I got to the last para as wifey was on-line shopping and was clutching my credit card in her mitt!!!!

crash_evans

War Hero
Was when I was still in. Maybe it’s changed, or had changed?
I only left 12 years ago, and we referred to them as TAS.
[mention]Dusty70 [/mention] Still called Tazapes now. Been through various names from OM to now being a Underwater Warfare rate. We still keep the CHOPS (S) part, I can’t see that ever going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waspie

War Hero
And mine. Only commenting as that’s what they were referred to on 814.
Only ever heard ASW aircrew referred to as either, Sonar Operators or their nickname - 'pingers'. Never heard them referred to as Airborne TAS. Maybe a general service term for ASW aircrew but never in the FAA.

I have to admit, against my better judgement, to one of my adquals - ASW aircrewman - active only. (And not too good a one either). Much preferred pooping off missiles. It's all about the bang at the end!!!!!!:eek::D

Last edited:

Alfacharlie

War Hero
I can't remember what the local hooch was called, says it all really :)
Yup, just remember the honking hangover.
Same when in Kuwait, cherries and photocopier fluid I think we were sinking at a house. I thought I was blind the next day. I think the expats called it ‘cyd’, or something.
Not bad for a dry country though.

It was rats though.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Only ever heard ASW aircrew referred to as either, Sonar Operators or their nickname - 'pingers'. Never heard them referred to as Airborne TAS. Maybe a general service term for ASW aircrew but never in the FAA.

I have to admit, against my better judgement, to one of my adquals - ASW aircrewman. (And not too good a one either). Much preferred pooping off missiles. It's all about the bang at the end!!!!!!:eek::D
Probably was a GS term, thinking of it. Or, maybe it was just what we thought of them. Anyway, I may have just overheard it and picked it up. Who knows??

Finished my phase 2 training at Cambridge in Jan 68 - spotted a County Class in WI with a draft available and promptly volunteered - as a very young JS . The whole class got the Fearless in dry dock in Guz - I got asked if I had a passport cos I was of to Port of Spain Trinidad - and the adventure began - talk about careful what you wish for - left freezing UK in January in my fake sheepskin coat and got some really weird looks at the other end

Stirlin

War Hero
After pt 1 & 2 training for Stokers at Raleigh you were housed in Valiant block to await first sea draft , morning muster Chief Stoker sez ...''..JM(E) So and so pack your kit you are flying to Singapore tonight to join the Danae , have you got your passport ? '' '' no Chief , I left it at home '' '' Anyone with a passport here want this draft '' loads of hands shot up '' You were first Lofty , pack your kit '' . We were advised to always keep passport handy just in case there was a pier head jump like this one , kid who left his at home was pig sick he had missed out on Singers.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
After pt 1 & 2 training for Stokers at Raleigh you were housed in Valiant block to await first sea draft , morning muster Chief Stoker sez ...''..JM(E) So and so pack your kit you are flying to Singapore tonight to join the Danae , have you got your passport ? '' '' no Chief , I left it at home '' '' Anyone with a passport here want this draft '' loads of hands shot up '' You were first Lofty , pack your kit '' . We were advised to always keep passport handy just in case there was a pier head jump like this one , kid who left his at home was pig sick he had missed out on Singers.
Same. First trip as a baby dabber. RPO read the drafts in Flint block (Dryad), then I was on crab airways to sunny singers two days later at the the tender age of 16.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Rotherham man who stabbed mother in front of young son jailed for longer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Son of pharmacy owner sentenced for dealing wholesale medicines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Mother banned for allowing disqualified son to run company MoD News 0
soleil Aberdeen Press & Journal: "Commemoration Arranged For Royal Marine Hero And His Son In Beauly" 26/01/20 The Corps 2
MoD_RSS Father and son cleaning company bosses disqualified for 18 years MoD News 0
B Son started at HMS Raleigh today Nearest & Dearest 0
MoD_RSS News story: Father and son dramaticaslly rescued from cliff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Mother and son restaurateurs banned for under-declaring tax MoD News 0
T Son passed out of Raleigh last week Joining the Royal Navy 5
K How do I post an item to my son at HMS Raleigh. Joining the Royal Navy 5
Trainer Euromillions Winner Does not have to subsidise ex Naval Officer Son Current Affairs 58
A No contact with son at Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 133
S Anyone's son at Raleigh this week? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
R Need some help for my son Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
Z Son joining Hms Raleigh shortly Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 64
U My son just started raliegh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 72
F I'Ve got a son Diamond Lil's 2
N Step Son Applying For Weapons Engineer Role Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
K Son is joining in March 2014 Bases / Shore Est 2
H Son Failed RT Maths any Tutor experiances. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Unhappy son at Culdrose The Fleet Air Arm 128
K Getting pressy to son for xmas without him knowing The Quarterdeck 7
trelawney126 Hamas son get 11 years for heist. Diamond Lil's 18
sgtpepperband Pompey News: "Gosport dad and son team up in warzone" Current Affairs 1
sgtpepperband Dad to walk 100 miles in memory of Marine son Charity 3
G Won a gong? Then get skating son. Diamond Lil's 36
P Hello everyone, my son is starting basic training. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
Hermes_R12 SDSR: Sea Harrier - Sharkey Ward Speaks up for his son. Current Affairs 10
scouse Son of a very very famous FAA VC Recipient The Fleet Air Arm 0
K Son on deployment needs prescription glasses from UK asap Current Affairs 18
dabbzie why do you want to be in the Navy son? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 70
soleil Times: Lottery winner's son (RM) to go to Helmand as planned The Corps 6
soleil "Hero Marine helps son enjoy Christmas" The Corps 2
T Every mum wants WAFOO for a son and SEAMAN for her daughter Diamond Lil's 4
Squirrel David Cameron's son dies Current Affairs 1
D Son has been backclassed at Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
R Info required, son going for his Psychometric test. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
NotmeChief Son of Norman - Nails the nobber. Diamond Lil's 6
B Mother Takes Son's Ashes To Court Current Affairs 5
T Son interested in joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
sgtpepperband Mum flies out to join son on front line The Corps 11
H Whale Wars son of Cod Wars ? Current Affairs 20
finknottle Fortunate Son The Corps 4
brazenhussy Son's note to his father. Diamond Lil's 5
ukdaytona Idi Armins Son Is Alive And Well In London The Quarterdeck 2
ukdaytona Councillor weds Bin Laden's son Current Affairs 10
slim Blair's second son to be a teacher in tough inner-city schoo Diamond Lil's 10
brazenhussy MUM LAUGHS AS SON, 13, SITS IN DOCK The Quarterdeck 5
slim Soldier son battles deportation Current Affairs 10
G 'Son' of Trident. Submariners 2