How can I boost my application?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by disaster_manager, Jun 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I've applied for Mechanical Technician - Marine Engineering in the subs but I'm guessing competition is strong at the moment, so what could I do to boost my application? Currently I have a degree - 2.1 in Disaster Management- but I don't really have any relevant hands on experience with anything mechanically oriented. Can anyone recommend any courses which I could take or anything I could do further?

2. Degree in Disaster management?? You are destined to be the FOSTIE to end all, distex with you as a WO will be no fun at all.....

Assuming you are interested in the mechanical side might I suggest local college courses in fitting and turning, sheetmetal, car maint or somesuch that will get you a bit of time with tools, other than the ones in here....
  3. If you don't have any engineering tools /workshop of your own , find a local
    museum or similar that has old steam engines/aircraft/old cars etc. They usually are looking for volunteers, turn up & start helping.Many blokes who do this sort of thing are retired & have years of experience, well worth it.
    If you want a good, simple and readable basic book on metalworking skills,go for ," The Ladybird book of Metalwork".I kid you not .
    You can usually find copies for sale on ebay , couple of quid or so.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As stated in the careers publications, prior experience is not essential.

What is essential is passing the recruiting test at a high enough level - particularly in the maths & mechanical comprehension sections which require fairly high scores.

A person with heaps of 'hands-on' mechanical experience who applies after a successful applicant with no practical experience will not join sooner. Unlike officer selection, ratings selection is not merit based.

Good luck.
  5. I always wondered, NS... Why don't the RN recruit ratings on merit?
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

We do inasmuch as you need to pass the recruiting test for the specific trade, have the relevant qualifications, the medical standards unique to the trade the selection interview personal qualities peculiar to the trade & the appropriate fitness standards for the trade (the requirements do vary in all those areas depending on the job).

The RAF used to go a step further & allocate places to those scoring better with regard personal qualities assessed in the selection interview ahead of those scoring lower. We use the same methodology, but you either pass or fail. It would be extremely easy to raise the bar and introduce merit based selection, but so far as I'm aware there are no plans.
  7. d_m

If you don't mind my asking, why did you change your mind about Logistics Officer?
  8. If you bung your careers advisor £1000 he may reduce your waiting times for you :wink:
  9. As Ninja said, spend your time preparing for your test and interview, those are the most important things.

As a Stoker, the RN will teach you everything you need to know about the technical side of the job, doing a college course, while great for personal development, will not help your application enough to warrant the time and money you will spend doing it. Start swatting up on some psychometric tests and your naval knowledge. Obviously get your fitness up to scratch and basically use your pre-Raleigh time to prep yourself.
  10. Hey soleil,

I was interested in Logistics Officer mainly because of the officer status and the responsibility it would carry. That particular officer role was the only one suited to me as I'm colour blind and don't have a relevant degree which ruled out every other position. As it turned out I couldn't even apply for Logistics Officer because I don't have the required UCAS points (despite having a degree). I'm desperate to join the RN, so even though some people are saying it's a step back applying for a rating role (considering I have a degree) I don't view it that way at all. I want to progress and make my way up.

With regards to applying for ET ME on the boats, well I'm from Middlesbrough - a heavily industrialised area - so I've been brought up wih engineering all around me. My brother is a mechanical fitter and my cousin is actually a ET ME on the boats and has been for the last 9 years. I feel it's in my blood and I'm desperate to do it. 6 years ago when I left school I applied for a mechanical maintenance apprenticeship but I turned it down, instead opting to go to college then uni. Bad mistake.

I hope that sheds some light on the turn around soleil :)

And N_S are there only revision books, related to mechanical aspects, which I can have a read over prior to my aptitude test which is in 3 weeks?

11. im also applying for the same position as you, ive passed everything just now and ive got a years wait so ive applied for college and doing a course in practical engineering which is very handy.
  12. Hey Ben,

How was your interview mate? I've got my RT coming up in the next few week, so hopefully I will pass that. With regards to the interview, who interviews you, and do they grill you?
  13. d_m

You will be interviewed by one of the Careers Advisors at the AFCO.

Check out this thread and pay especially careful attention to the sixth post, the one by Ninja_Stoker.
  14. Haha they dont grill you, they ask questions that you should know. Its more of a chat as they want to know more about you and waht your up to in civvy life.