How are UCAS points calculated ?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by GrapeVine, Jan 21, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning, what subjects count for BRNC entry ? My offer says that it depends on me gaining 180 points. Does this include music grades, D of E, general studies and extended projects ?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The only grades accepted are D or better at A2, but yes, even General Studies is accepted as a valid A Level.

For AS Level - we can only accept subjects not taken at A2 and only those passed at AS grade B or better. Music grades & DofE are not accepted in lieu of A Levels

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  3. Would the extended project qualification count as it is regularly used for people applying to Uni ? Thanks Ninja

4. Ninja_Stoker

The only accepted A Level equivalents are BTEC Level 3 (passed at Distinction for Dual Awards or Merit for Triple), Baccalaureate, or Scottish Highers.

5. I have just searched what an extended project is classed as and it's an AS level, does this mean it's included ?

6. Ninja_Stoker

Not unless it says "AS Level" on the certificate so far as I'm aware.

For definitive guidance, take all your certificates to your AFCO so that they can take copies & forward them to AIB for verification.

To manage realistic expectations, 180 UCS points is the minimum threshold for eligibility to join as an Officer, most successful applicants have in excess of 240 UCAS points.

7. As I'm on a sixth form scholarship my place is confirmed as long as I get 180 points. Obviously want to do better than that !

8. UCAS - Points Calculator

Not exactly to do with the question posted, but if anyone comes along wanting to know their UCAS points it's a handy tool.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Good luck. I'd imagine you are pretty much aware of your predicted A Level grades by now if you take them this year.