How angry does this make you?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by finknottle, Feb 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Petrol and diesel prices are rising again, the AA said today, despite cheaper oil and the deepening recession.

Well I am bloody furious yet what will we do? As usual sweet FA as we are ripped off once again, not wonder foreign companies call the UK Treasure Island.

2. It doesn't. It's a pain in the arse but why not get a bus? It's cheaper that way.

3. Do you really think I want to travel on a privately owned bus with the great unwashed? To back that up I have not bothered to collect my bus pass or tokens.

4. There is something acutely wrong with us subservient Brits, roll over take it up the back and say 'thank you very much' even though it hurts like hell, we could learn a thing or three from the frog eaters.

5. Or you could use your bus-pass and save a shed load of money.

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Not just in the UK mate. Oil is what $34 a barrel at the moment? cheapest it's been for donkeys years yet the Oil companies blame it on "refining" or the strength of the dollar.

Hello...Is it not the same company that drills it, refines it, flogs it? who apart from themselves are they selling it to at $34 per barrel?

No wonder they're all posting record profits.

7. And why is diesel, which I believe is further down the refinement 'chain' now more expensive than petrol (gasoline for you foreign types!) even here in Spain? At least in the UK they 'justified' the price hike by blaming global warming or particulates or some other lie. :evil: :evil: :evil:

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

AAh, I think I have it - Fink is pissed off because he thinks that it's HIS petrol/oil in dem der Scorttish oilfields... :roll: :lol:

9. diesel has been 7cent cheaper than petrol in our tesco,first time thats happened for maybe 10 years

10. I didn't spend all that money passing my driving test and buying my gas guzzler to take a bus! Stupid boy! :wink:

11. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Here in Canada, the pump prices seems to track the commodity price pretty well: fuel prices peaked at $1.40 per litre last summer, then as the commodity price fell, so did the pump price. Pump prices have been as low as $0.65 per litre but are now hovering in the $0.75 - $0.80 region. In this period the Canadian dollar has also fallen against the US dollar by about 20%.

What's happening elsewhere in the world on the fuel price front? Is Canada the anomaly or is the UK truly "Treasure Island" for the oil companies?

12. Not at all, we Scots being a munificent race are more than happy to share our resources with our fellow Brits.

We diesel drivers are being taken for a ride by these oil company bandits. I am with Hugo Chavez nationalise the greedy bastards.

13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Fink: Scots is not a race... :roll:

14. Iam sorry but I must disagree, we true Scots have genetic differences from the English, no Angle Saxon or Jute blood flowing through our veins. :)

15. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

That'd be the Celts, many of whom are Scottish.

16. Prices are rising because the refineries are cutting back on producing, their argument is that demand is low, so they don't need to produce as much which drives the price up...hence their capability to record record profits again during a recession.

Also, they have shelved future projects until the price is back to where they feel it needs to be to finance these mega projects (Offshore drilling and our own Tar Sands), not that they can't finance the work themselves, it's the shareholders who determine whether to spend their own money or not... 8O